Hi guys, any idea roughly if what this is worth?Non original pickups:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eZI2UyFadVsETE5sShHyuyrnu-
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    edited June 2020
    404 Error.

Maybe, change the https to http?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • elroy443elroy443 Frets: 2
    edited June 2020
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    About a fiver. I’ll take it off your hands for £4.50.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    About a fiver. I’ll take it off your hands for £4.50.
    Sold to the convincing man at the back 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2476
    Hardtail, non original pickups maybe £2000?
    Hardtail, non original pickups maybe £2000?

That’s exactly what he thinks, it needs a refret badly 
    £2k?! A friend of mine would be very pleased to hear that. He has a 1976/77 hardtail with Velvet Hammer pickups. Most of its finish loss has been on the fingerboard.
    Yeah I thought less but I’m not in the vintage Strat market much and I really appreciate the help lads, think it has the original case too 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I'd maybe start by asking 2k but I would be impressed if you got over 1500 for it.   
    I'm half looking for something similar or a bit older with a trem and see lots of strat around that age advertised repeatedly, there's one with emg's that has been for sale at 1890 that has been for sale for ages.      
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    I'd maybe start by asking 2k but I would be impressed if you got over 1500 for it.   
    I'm half looking for something similar or a bit older with a trem and see lots of strat around that age advertised repeatedly, there's one with emg's that has been for sale at 1890 that has been for sale for ages.      
    Yeah he said he’s advertised it a few times, I want to trade my sg700 against it. It’s mint so I’ll try to work something out. The fact that it lacked a high e in the pics made me wonder if it was playable at all but he says it is, obviously I’d try before I buy 
    Anyone want to hazard a guess about the prices for refret, ‘board cleaning and refinishing … or, possibly, a clear coat to fasten what remains of the original poly gloop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There’s a great guy locally who could refret it, I’m just concerned with the value as is, I thought 70s fenders were meant to be kinda shite too! 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    elroy443 said:
    There’s a great guy locally who could refret it, I’m just concerned with the value as is, I thought 70s fenders were meant to be kinda shite too! 
    They are. But that wasn't the question!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    elroy443 said:
    They are. But that wasn't the question!
    2k for scrap wood? Sign me up
    It should be pointed out that, in this instance, locally means Northern Ireland. The market is different there.

Mid Seventies Stratocasters are blighted by indifference - the pickups, the final belt sander shaping and the fit of the neck heel and pocket.

At that age, the proposition is similar to buying a classic car. The smart options are a dirt cheap, crumbling project or to pay big money for an expertly refurbished example. The guitar on offer is neither of these.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2476
    £2k?! A friend of mine would be very pleased to hear that. He has a 1976/77 hardtail with Velvet Hammer pickups. Most of its finish loss has been on the fingerboard.
    There’s a difference in price between late 70’s and early 70’s. I would actually place 74 in the less valuable late 70’s camp but from what I’ve been seeing 74 still sells high-ish. A 76/77 hardtail with non original pickups would be more like £1k I’d have thought. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    elroy443 said:

I want to trade my sg700 against it.
    Why?!

Don’t.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    edited June 2020
    I'm struggling personally to think why anyone would buy a 70s Strat. I don't think anyone could argue that they are 'better' in any way than modern Strats. They don't really have the 'mojo' of 60s Strats either, whatever that actually is.

Just not sure I get it. I'm sure there are others who do though...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12593
    Hattigol said:
    I'm struggling personally to think why anyone would buy a 70s Strat. I don't think anyone could argue that they are 'better' in any way than modern Strats. They don't really have the 'mojo' of 60s Strats either, whatever that actually is.

Just not sure I get it. I'm sure there are others who do though...
    My 79 Strat seems a better guitar than the Mexican, Japanese and modern US strats I’ve played. 

Whether some of that is perceived mojo I don’t know. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Some 70s Strats can be very good, unfortunately most aren't.
    I certainly wouldn't swap an SG for one.