Rough value of a 1974 Stratocaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12593
    Sassafras said:
    Some 70s Strats can be very good, unfortunately most aren't.
    I certainly wouldn't swap an SG for one.
    Horses for courses I wouldn’t want an SG at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    I have a '77 with AVRI pickups I bunged together for around £700 a year or so ago which has seen off half a dozen other Strats including pre-CBS stuff to remain as my only, and favourite ever Strat, but I have no illusions, it's clunky, heavy and poorly finished compared to modern stuff. 

£2k is crazy money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14824
    edited June 2020 tFB Trader
    A very good refret will certainly enhance such a guitar - If it is a decent body weight then it has the potential to be more than okay after the refret - At the right price, then non-original p/ups allows you to put in your own choice without any issues of devaluation

I'd remove the lacquer of the fingerboard and probably the rear - Refret and not lacquer over the frets as it just feels so nasty and leave the neck/board as natural as possible

I've seen and sold such projects in the past and they can become good player grade guitars with character - But all in, work carried out I'd be happier at £1500 than £2000 and then put in your own choice of p/ups as required
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elroy443elroy443 Frets: 2
    A very good refret will certainly enhance such a guitar - If it is a decent body weight then it has the potential to be more than okay after the refret - At the right price, then non-original p/ups allows you to put in your own choice without any issues of devaluation

I'd remove the lacquer of the fingerboard and probably the rear - Refret and not lacquer over the frets as it just feels so nasty and leave the neck/board as natural as possible

I've seen and sold such projects in the past and they can become good player grade guitars with character - But all in, work carried out I'd be happier at £1500 than £2000 and then put in your own choice of p/ups as required
    Thanks for your helpful and insightful reply.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom