eBay Bargain R8

What's Hot
hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
Just found this and thought what a great deal at £7250...it even includes free postage!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184269487007
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They're great guitars the 2001 models, but worth no more £3,500 to £4,000 for that particular one. imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nah..
    if it’s a bargain you’re looking for: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203032835059
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5114
    edited June 2020
    They're great guitars the 2001 models, but worth no more £3,500 to £4,000 for that particular one. imho
    I don’t think it’s worth that much personally. I don’t get why one of these (2002 this one I think) would fetch more than an R9 which would probably have a more authentic top and, post-2013, other improvements. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    They're great guitars the 2001 models, but worth no more £3,500 to £4,000 for that particular one. imho
    I don’t think it’s worth that much personally. I don’t get why one of these would fetch more than an R9 which would probably have a more authentic top and, post-2013, other improvements. 
    My thoughts entirely. Post 2013 R9 with a nice top worth about £3500. Everything else is worth less in my view
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4071
    Rusty frets, personally not something I look for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    The R8 in the eBay listing has a market value of around £2k.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4071
    Brize said:
    The R8 in the eBay listing has a market value of around £2k.
    Which is probably what he paid for it!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I don't think we know yet what a bargain looks like in 2020.

What will Gibson do with a glut of Dealer Returns? (If the US economy gets much worse).
    Since 2016 we have seen them use two rather different strategies to deal with such a problem.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    That's steep and those frets are in a bad shape. Last time I bought a historic gibson on ebay the seller sent it to me packaged in it's hardshell case box... no cardbox at all. His view on it was that, that's what the hardshell case is for.  B)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    The thought process behind that kind of pricing completely baffles me - It's hard enough to sell stuff when priced reasonably. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14824
    tFB Trader
    I like the fact that

a) they claim it has only been out of the case 5 times - A simple fact that can't be proven !!

b) they claim more than once that it is new - It might be in mint, as new, showroom condition, but if they are a private individual selling it then it is legally USED !!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5009
    Not quite as bad as that 25/50 (or whatever it is!) anniversary one for £100k

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• You're probably right, these new where, £2,500 I know because i bought one from new in 2001, so probably worth no more than, £3,000. But i am biased, because i have a 2001 and know how good it is.   Even Guitar village knew they where good guitars at the time, because about 2 months after i bought it, they phoned me and wanted to buy it back. True story.         
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just noticed the state of those frets !   Truss rod could be seized up as well
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fishboy7 said:
    They look like they’re recycled from the Titanic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Must be shite then. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14824
    tFB Trader
    hyperben said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    They look like they’re recycled from the Titanic
    see that many times on a guitar that has been cocooned in its case for so long - Will clean up, but it does mean check everything else carefully inc pots, pick-ups, switch etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Must be shite then. 
    Not shite at all - but certainly not £7k  
  • And agreed. New wiring harness makes a big difference in these.  If you could snag it for a good price, then upgrade the pickup covers, plasitcs, harness, inlays and it will be as good as any 2019. Model. Imho
    And agreed. New wiring harness makes a big difference in these.  If you could snag it for a good price, then upgrade the pickup covers, plasitcs, harness, inlays and it will be as good as any 2019. Model. Imho
    and remove the truss rod condom. The ones without seem to sound better to me at least