The Crossroads Jack Butler guitar is out at last

What's Hot

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 919
    Or, as someone watching now who never saw it in the 80's; "bad guys play pointy guitars and look silly in hindsight" :P 
    I do admit, that while I want one of these, I'm unlikely to adopt a black wig, velvet shirt, spandex, wellies and associated facial contortions if I gig it........ 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1571
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @majorscale Oh yes Arlen Roth. I remember a long Guitarist cover interview with him back in the late 80s when he went into all that backstory as well. 

The Vai guitar looks fabulous. 

What has dated is the way Ralph Macchio rolls his sleeves up on his jacket. Only Don Johnson pulled that look off in the 80s, and no one after 1986 has had the courage to try it since. 
  • jemstar555jemstar555 Frets: 84
    StefB said:
    I hope it comes to the uk 
    Andertons already have them on their site for preorder. 
    Thanks!!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Would've been better in the film if Ralph's character had held a single note sustain indefinitely to win ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Never liked that film. And I'd much rather have the Tele thanks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23750
    edited July 2020

I really liked the film, although it's a long time since I've seen it and it may not hold up too well. 

But I always thought the guitar duel scene was a bit shit - not because of the playing but because Jack Butler is such a cipher.  He has no personality, all he does is gurn and grimace a bit.  They should have built up the character, hired an actor and trained him to fake the playing like Macchio - or maybe Vai could have taken a couple more acting lessons.  As it is, it's an anticlimax.

• themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    darcym said:
    well into this, I think it's a pretty good price, USA guitar, so nice tweaks in it like graphite enforcement, legit floyd, non-crappy stock pickups. 

it's also a bit of history for a person of a certain age. while I've moved on a long time from this type of guitar, this guitar pulled a heart string, I'm hovering dangerously over buy. Great marketing.

Pro series aren't USA unfortunately :anguished: 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Jalapeno said:
    Would've been better in the film if Ralph's character had held a single note sustain indefinitely to win ;)
    He could have snuck an E-bow up his sleeve if the daft little fashion victim hadn’t rolled them up like that.  
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Philly_Q said:

I really liked the film, although it's a long time since I've seen it and it may not hold up too well. 

But I always thought the guitar duel scene was a bit shit - not because of the playing but because Jack Butler is such a cipher.  He has no personality, all he does is gurn and grimace a bit.  They should have built up the character, hired an actor and trained him to fake the playing like Macchio - or maybe Vai could have taken a couple more acting lessons.  As it is, it's an anticlimax.

He sold his soul and personality in exchange for guitar ability.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4326
    That guitar is a beauty. On my lottery list 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    prlgmnr said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think that's the point.. he's like a sweaty automaton who's given everything up for guitar perfection. He's only defeated by a sneaky secret karate move where Ralph pretends to be a stork... shit, wrong film.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    How is this new one different to this limited edition, released 5 years ago?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023

About £1500 ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    If it was realistic Ralph would have fought against the devil by playing something that sounded like a bad U2 cover version though a Timeline and a Big Sky.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    If it was realistic Ralph would have fought against the devil by playing something that sounded like a bad U2 cover version though a Timeline and a Big Sky.

P&W tones ftw lolz
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

edited July 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think that's the point.. he's like a sweaty automaton who's given everything up for guitar perfection. He's only defeated by a sneaky secret karate move where Ralph pretends to be a stork... shit, wrong film.

To simplify my point... I just wanted him to say something.

I've been thinking about the film and remembering more.  Ralph's character is a really cocky little shit, and even the old bloke is quite annoying.  I know the whole point is that they're a mismatched pair who bicker but learn to love each other, but I think they're still irritating at the end... Mr Miyagi and Daniel they're not.  Maybe it's best if I don't re-watch it.

DrBob said:

About £1500 ?
    Interesting that that one's got Duncans, the new one's got DiMarzios.  The latter seems more in line with Vai's tastes, but I don't think the guitar in the film was one of his own guitars. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    The really shit thing about the duel is that if Vai had actually played some of the stuff he's really capable of, he'd have won hands down and Old Nick would have got little Ralph's soul... although that might have spoiled the plot a little.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    I always say Jack Butler was robbed and frankly the song he plays before his duel starts is way better than Eugene's Trick Bag. 

Plus Jack wins the mean face snake hips dance competition. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.