Dive bombs without whammy bar

What's Hot
NathantuNathantu Frets: 0
edited March 27 in Guitar
While I'm improving my lead guitar skills and dexterity day by day (or trying to...), been wondering if there's any easy way to dive bomb à la Kerry King without whammy bar. In fact, when I invested in my new guitar, download guitar tones
 I thought of getting one with Floyd Rose but everyone suggested that I'd rather skip it if my budget was strict - and I'd rather learn how to emulate it "with bendings and delay". The technique skips my understandment, so is there any tutorial or video to make myself clear?
Pirates Of Caribbean – Guitar: https://downloadringtonesfree.mobi/pirates-of-caribbean-guitar/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    You can do some tricks using the Low E tuning key, otherwise get a floyd eventually as you can't really emulate the full range of what a trem can do. No rush though, many rock and metal legends have not used a trem guitar for decades. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426

Phil X will show you the way. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426

Some interesting techniques in this cover of Surfing With The Alien. No Floyd in sight. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    Whammy pedal, or any multi-FX where you can assign the expression pedal to octave-down pitch bend.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    edited July 2020
    Jake E Lee does a lot of bending just using the tuning pegs: I remember reading an interview with Ozzy where he was dubious that Jake would be able to play all of Randy's parts without a trem, but he nailed it.

I haven't watched the videos here, but there's also fretting a lower note, bending up to the note you want and slowly releasing the bend. That works particularly well on the bottom string around the 2nd-5th frets in my experience...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    There are ‘behind the nut’ bends that some players use, but it’s most commonly done by country style players (and usually a Tele therefore) because you need a decent angle and length of string between the nut and start of the tuning keys. Simplest on the low A and D strings played open. A simple technique is to pre bend the A up a couple of notes and let it drop. 

There’s that Jimmy Page trick that he does where behind the nut he bends up or sometimes adds vibrato by applying pressure to a given string behind the nut- e.g start of Dazed; solo in Heartbreaker. That’s not divebombing though. 

For fun, ICBMs suggestion of a whammy pedal is one to consider.  

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I was going to mention Phil X and Jake E Lee but I see they've both been mentioned already.

Phil does some fabulous stuff on video, he's an amazing guitarist.

Jake E Lee, when he joined Ozzy I remember an article in an American guitar mag (which I still have somewhere!) where he explained that he didn't use a trem but he won a sceptical Ozzy over with some neat 'tricks' to mimic a whammy. I think there were about 6 things. Maybe he has a video about it, I've never looked.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    edited July 2020
    axisus said:
    I was going to mention Phil X and Jake E Lee but I see they've both been mentioned already.

Phil does some fabulous stuff on video, he's an amazing guitarist.

Jake E Lee, when he joined Ozzy I remember an article in an American guitar mag (which I still have somewhere!) where he explained that he didn't use a trem but he won a sceptical Ozzy over with some neat 'tricks' to mimic a whammy. I think there were about 6 things. Maybe he has a video about it, I've never looked.

That's the same interview I was thinking of - it wasn't with Ozzy, it was with Jake. I don't have the magazine any more though!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    edited July 2020
    Neck bends, don't push too hard though! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16426
    I was watching a bit of a Jake E Lee thing where he's doing behind the nut bends and pushing on the neck, take away the distortion and the hair and it could be Jim Campilongo or Jerry Donahue. Also  John 5 lives in that kind of territory of country meets metal; he's using a behind the nut bend here for something you might imagine involved a bar.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I'd have bent the neck of my Gordon Smith in the past. Can't remember how manyfmany frets itiit was equivalent to. Wary of it now though
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    edited July 2020
    Loobs said:

Yep, and do it on your prized '59 Les Paul!

Schenker would do it on his Flying V.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Loobs said:
    The SG's time to shine!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    DeeTee said:

The SG's time to snap!
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    That's the same interview I was thinking of - it wasn't with Ozzy, it was with Jake. I don't have the magazine any more though!
    Yeah, that's what I was saying, an interview with Jake about him joining Ozzy for the Ultimate sin album, then some chat about his techniques sans whammy bar. I don't like Ozzy's voice at all personally, but there was so cool guitar playing on that album.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Some of the Boss pitch shifter pedals had a dive bomb setting. PS5 or PS6 maybe?
  • Paul Gilbert did this with a flanger, he had his own Ibanez signature one.
    https://youtu.be/bkUfPUKilWI

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    There’s obviously the technique of pre-bending the string then letting it relax, à la Steve Vai in Gravity Storm 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Paul Gilbert did this with a flanger, he had his own Ibanez signature one.
    https://youtu.be/bkUfPUKilWI

This thread keeps on giving. That’s a fabulous idea of Gilbert’s there. Thanks for posting @guitarmangler. ;