Justifying multiple guitars

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I need them for the rack I am building ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    Because the formula for happiness is H=N+1, where H is happiness and N is the number of guitars you currently own.
    Pretty sure this just makes me a miserable git but this trope being wheeled out again and again is absolutely one of my least favourite things about guitar forums. Hate it.

Ahem. As you were. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a rack with five slots. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1659
    I bought a rack with five slots. 
    Lucky you didn't do what I did and buy one with 12 slots.

That particular 'bargain' has cost me a bloody fortune.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Because the formula for happiness is H=N+1, where H is happiness and N is the number of guitars you currently own.
    Pretty sure this just makes me a miserable git but this trope being wheeled out again and again is absolutely one of my least favourite things about guitar forums. Hate it.

Ahem. As you were. 
    Yeah, I’m kind of with you. I also think (that for me at least) a more accurate formula would be one that had the amount of guitars owned as being inversely proportional to the amount of time I spend playing/practising.

When I last gigged regularly I had an electric plus a spare in case I broke a string at a gig. Nowadays I’m at 7 electrics, 1 acoustic, 1 bass, 2 amps, and I’m probably only playing 20 minutes most weeks ..
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    Dan_Halen said:
    I bought a rack with five slots. 
    Lucky you didn't do what I did and buy one with 12 slots.

That particular 'bargain' has cost me a bloody fortune.
    Guitars are like electrons and racks like electron shells.  If the shells are not full then the guitarist is reactive and will seek to interact with guitar vendors in order to reduce the valency to zero.

Simple chemistry realy.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1425
    I think I missed out on having a collection of decent guitars that wouldn't have cost a lot. Guitars that are now worth more, or are rare or hard to find.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 317
    Justification:

Do they make me happy to play? Can I afford them without putting out my family or other essential stuff? Will they get live use? Then they’re fine.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I took this question to mean justifying to yourself, i.e what it adds to your sonic palette.

There's no need to justify it to anyone else. Not even a spouse, though obviously if someone is being irresponsible and affecting their partner's quality of life then that's a different story.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    I think people want guitars that look right for certain styles as much as anything. 
    I mean you can play pretty much any style on any guitar. 
    Also why I like and want a Les Paul Custom, its classy but cool and doesn't look out of place in any genre imo. I also kinda feel the same about plainer PRS guitars but understand there are a lot of people who can't get over the fact it's not a Fender or Gibson. 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Do kids need 100 hot wheel cars? No, but it lights up their face every time they open a new one.

For me multiple guitars ( I don’t have that many) is a desperate attempt to cling on to our inner child. There is no price for that. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2185
    I think people want guitars that look right for certain styles as much as anything. 
    I mean you can play pretty much any style on any guitar. 
    I used to get some funny looks playing jazz standards on a batwing SG. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited July 2020
    my current fleet

Custom 24 30th Anniversary - my go too electric
    Gibson DG 335 - my under the bed played once - cant sell as my daughter wants it for her 21st Birthday
    Gibson Les Paul signature T - my favorite les paul  i have owned (feels better to me that the R9 i had and the rosa corsa) 
    Gibson Les Paul Slash Rosa Corsa - will trade 
    Fender Strat Plus - best strat i have owned and i have owned a lot
    Charvel Sol cal - just love it - cheap to buy but what a machine
    EVH wolfgang - just love it
    Martin OM18E - its a martin and sounds great
    Taylor GS mini Koa - first toe into acoustics 
    and LXJ36 yamaha on the way - will find out tonight

i have 4 guitars on my guitar stand 
    PRS custom 24
    Strat Plus
    Signature T
    Carvel sol cal

those are the ones i play most often

i justify my collection on the basis that the majority of my collection i could sell for the same or more than what i paid. i would probably lose out on the taylor.  so to me what i am doing is rather than putting money in bank with crap interest i get to enjoy my hobby and if necessary can sell a guitar or 2 if i need to raise some cash

i also dont spend money on clothes, dont smoke , rarely go to the pub and my wife buys lots of shoes- guitars are my vice 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They make me happy
    Cost nothing if you buy used in the long run
    Much cheaper than a CBC Counsellor