Does nitrocellulose cause cancer?

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
I notice fender put proposition 65 warnings on their nitro guitars now and according to their website it causes cancer and kills your little soldiers.

https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/chemicals/methyl-isobutyl-ketone-mibk

Guess it affects painters more then players though.  Unless you lick it perhaps.

Another reason to just wear a hazmat suit full time,  sigh. 
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    Life causes death. Therefore, the California State Legislature will try to ban it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3757
    California?

ive been through that craziness...  basically everything gets tagged and its gamed by competitors claiming other company’s products are hazardous because of something in the composition of an internal component... yep.. people in California will actually eat electronics!.. apparently!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14842
    tFB Trader
    Yes California laws etc

There has been talk for a while within the EU about nickel, for some reason and a potential ban ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
    I read somewhere that Rickenbacker are made inCalifornia and production is limited due to emissions as a result of nitro finishing
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11535
    Yes California laws etc

There has been talk for a while within the EU about nickel, for some reason and a potential ban ?

Are they going to ban lots of compositions of stainless steel then?

They do go over the top sometimes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    rsvmark said:
    I read somewhere that Rickenbacker are made inCalifornia and production is limited due to emissions as a result of nitro finishing
    Rickenbacker haven’t used nitro since the 1950s. For a long time they used ‘conversion varnish’ which is a type of polyurethane, and now they’re using UV-cured polyester.

RIC production is limited for several reasons, some of which are related to its specific location - in what is now a fairly upmarket residential area - but finishing isn’t one of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5521
    Yes California laws etc

The EU has restricted nickel in jewellery since the 90s... extended skin contact can cause allergy sensitisation problems. In 2017 they attempted to restrict it further but pushback from, well, just about everyone (including an MI lobby) meant they backed down, so there is a "new" plan to just tighten up the REACH guidelines a little bit (which govern how materials can be used in materials designed for human contact). TL;DR nickel in musical instruments (and many other things) is not in danger in the EU in the near or mid-term future.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19460
    This is the stuff that we should all be concerned about. Lots of it around California but it is everywhere  :o
    https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    I hope so.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    This is the stuff that we should all be concerned about. Lots of it around California but it is everywhere  :o
    Actually California has a bit of a shortage of it now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19460
    ICBM said:
    Actually California has a bit of a shortage of it now.
    Only the unsalted stuff surely?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    Cheese sandwiches also cause cancer.
    Few people with the disease haven't eaten a cheese sandwich at some time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1659
    You had me up until I came to this bit..

A recent stunning revelation is that in every single instance of violence involving guns, both in the U.S. and internationally, Dihydrogen Monoxide was involved. 

:)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Just google Prop65 - its a Californian law to warn folks of the possibility of harm caused by certain chemicals/metals used in production. Most labelling is over-zealous and doesn't actually help. 

But yes, inhaling lots of Celly fumes is bad for you. However, the chances of you receiving a damaging dose from playing your guitar is moot at best.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    cheese sandwiches and guitars could cause you cancer.....if you eat enough of them.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    nickel, for some reason
    Possibly because it is hazardous to health. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    Not as harmful as that 2 pack stuff that contains cyanide.
    As I know from bitter experience.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    Of all the things I do in a day, picking up my guitar is least likely to be the death of me.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    I read somewhere that guitar forums cause it. Was probably on a guitar forum that I read this.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway