Am I the only one that prefers to buy stuff “stock”?!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’ve been down the modding route a few years ago , but for a long time now I mostly prefer things stock . 
So in my mind even if a guitar has been “upgraded” it’s not worth as much as a stock item .. 
There are exceptions, but not many. 

I wondered if I was alone in that way of thinking ??
M
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7226
    I nearly always have to hem a few inches off my spandex stage leggings, but other than that yeah, I agree
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    tony99 said:
    I nearly always have to hem a few inches off my spandex stage leggings, but other than that yeah, I agree
    That reminds me , I’ve run out of cucumber and tin foil .
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JT96JT96 Frets: 45
    I agree as upgrades are always subjective. Upgrading to locking tuners and a super hot Humbuckers in the bridge pickup of a Tele might be an upgrade to a stock MIM for one player, but be further away from what a pop guitarist would get from a stock model.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9864
    I’ve had both good and bad results from modding guitars. To be honest I probably won’t bother in future. However it wouldn’t put me off of buying a modded guitar if the mods worked for me. I wouldn’t expect to pay more though - one man’s upgrade is another man’s bodge job.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2185
    I've never bothered with farting around with pickups, that's too much like a rabbit hole for me tbh.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I prefer to buy something that comes stock with mods. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    It depends.

if it’s a high end guitar like custom shop or PRS is want it stock.  On a cheaper guitar I don’t mind if the parts changed are good and well known parts.  Like putting in a Callaghan block in a cheap Strat is okay by me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23806

It's a long while since I modified anything or sold anything, but when I did I always put them back to stock (if I'd kept the parts).

My "upgrades" may be "downgrades" to someone else, and they certainly don't add any value.

You can always sell the returned-to-stock guitar and the replacement parts/pickups separately and get more money than you would for the modded guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5344
    went through a phase of constantly changing pickups, finally learnt is mainly a waste of time and money :) better off just getting on with the playing.   Enjoyed it at the time though
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    I wouldn't turn down a guitar with some nice handwound pickups in (Bare Knuckle, Oil City or something) but I'd rather buy something with the original Gibson pickups than something by Dimarzio or Duncan. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    I usually end up changing stuff out of the guitar anyway when I first get it unless it enhances the sound or playability of the instrument. 

I've grown quite addicted to changing hardware and electronics on cheaper guitars to make them sound better. Usually they'll be guitars I won't be selling on so free to mess around with it if I want.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    I'd only buy a 2nd hand harley benton if it already had upgraded pickups....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73180
    It's not just you - it's a widely accepted fact of the market that any guitar is worth no more, and in some cases less, with mods - no matter how good the replacement parts... and especially so if the mods are irreversible, even if only cosmetically (eg machineheads needing new screw holes). Even really good replacement parts tend to only retain the value instead of reduce it.

That doesn't stop people trying to sell their upgraded guitars for the cost of the guitar plus the cost of the replacement parts, but I'd be a bit surprised if even one has ever sold for that.

The only exception would be something like a Harley Benton upgraded with Bareknuckle pickups. The chances are someone will buy that for more than the guitar would normally worth... probably so they can take out the expensive pickups, fit some cheap ones, and sell the guitar on thus getting a cheap set of Bareknuckles :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 364
    Absolutely, if I'm buying a guitar it's one that's built to a level I'm happy with. Or perhaps I'm just not that fussy.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    The thing that makes me laugh is the "Upgraded something so worth another £200"

Ok - are the original parts that would also cost £200 as an after market purchase included in the sale?

No.

GTFO then.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    Reminds me of an eBay listing that I saw recently.  I’m sure it is upgraded to the seller but to me he’s destroyed the guitar of my dreams...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303562037019

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23806
    NelsonP said:
    I'd only buy a 2nd hand harley benton if it already had upgraded pickups....
    ICBM said:
    The only exception would be something like a Harley Benton upgraded with Bareknuckle pickups. The chances are someone will buy that for more than the guitar would normally worth... probably so they can take out the expensive pickups, fit some cheap ones, and sell the guitar on thus getting a cheap set of Bareknuckles :).
    Hang on, hang on.... why would anyone sell a Harley Benton with upgraded pickups?  That's the equivalent of an R8 or custom shop Fender you've got right there.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited July 2020
    @Philly_Q I'll set 'em up......

In all seriousness I bought a second hand j mascis jazzmaster, with upgraded p'ups (Seymour duncan's), trem (fender rather than squier), tuners (locking gotoh's), vintage wiring, cts pots, switchcraft switch and jack, and a tort scratchplate.

The premium I paid for that little lot was very small and it makes it a much better instrument. Although I do like that gold scratchplate....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    It’s good to know I’m not on my own in that !!
     I’m always on the lookout for stuff , but the aftermarket extras put me off straight away . Sometimes they ruin the guitar when there was nowt wrong with it in the 1st place !!

i can see why people would be more interested in buying a cheap guitar that has been upgraded , but I don’t tend to look at guitars like that 2nd hand . 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14834
    If a guitar has been upgraded and is now offered for sale at a reasonable price, I see no problem.

The difficult bit is getting seller and buyer to agree what figure is reasonable. 

Returning to stock specification simplifies the assessment of the item’s market value and increases the chances of an amicable deal.

Occasionally, you chance upon a guitar that manages to be far more than the sum of its parts. It has to be acquired as is to be worth acquiring at all. Time for some good, old-fashioned haggling.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.