What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15506
    merlin said:
    VimFuego said:
    merlin said:
    You have no excuse. 

that actually looks really good, I am even more tempted now. Have to have a hunt around, see if I can find anyone with a plastic trumpet in stock.
    Go for it. I don't think a plastic trumpet will be noticeably quieter though...
    sorry, meant the plastic trumpet combined with the mute thingy. Is there a good standard text to start learning from? I'd probably end up going for lessons, but there are none near me. I'll be moving soon and should be able to find a tutor when I do. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    I play in a brass band. Trombone (what I play) is generally regarded to be the loudest instrument, although the cornets have numbers on their side.

I wouldn't like to learn/ practice using a mute for any length of time - the instrument has a completely different feel.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Practice facing the wardrobe with the wardrobe doors open. The hanging clothes act as a sound absorber. 
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I wouldn't start from tutorials or text book.
    A good teacher will guide you to develop good habits and techniques early on. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15506
    merlin said:
    I wouldn't start from tutorials or text book.
    A good teacher will guide you to develop good habits and techniques early on. 
    fair do's. Probably best to wait till I move then. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I bought one a few years ago - but I think I wasted my money really.

I've never been one to blow my own trumpet......

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I decided to learn brass instruments last year.  I'd recommend a cornet first, plenty of Blessing cornets (US-made) and Boosey and Hawkes cornets (UK) for around £100 or less on Ebay.  The cornet is less shrill in novice hands and a bit easier to play quieter - more acceptable to others around you.  The trumpet is a bit like a violin in that beginners can make it sound really annoying until they've built much better skills.

The other key thing is finding the mouthpiece cup diameter that fits your lips.  Again the right mouthpiece that fits your lips will make playing easier and playing quietly easier.  You can only find the right one by trying them but I'd suggest Denis Wick or Yamaha mouthpiece to start.  The right fitting mouthpiece will accelerate your learning.

Cornets and trumpets are very directional so pointing into curtains or a wardrobe of clothes as someone said above will certainly take off the high end and its usually the high end screech or out of tune notes that seems to annoy others.

I use Berp oil as it is not smelly and less hazardous in the home, and a well oiled brass cornet will play much nicer than the plastic versions.

An alternative is to learn the tenor horn first.  The fingurings are the same but the pitch is lower and mellow and my experience is that no-one ever complains about the tenor horn but they will occasionally say it sounds good!