-

What's Hot
eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
edited July 2022 in Guitar
-
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 627
    The worst one i've had I didn't even get a chance to bid. The guitar was put on ebay with a very vague title and description and so it wasn't detected by the various email notifications that I have set up. I found the auction only one day after it had ended on £270. By the end of the week it was for sale by that twat in essex for £1200. I was kicking myself!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3927
    I was outbid yesterday on a regular auction site - mouse seemed to freeze and site wouldn't accept my bid
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7140
    tFB Trader
    eoinzy said:

No bids. 9 secs left. Went £70 over starting price. Outbid. No time to react. Endless misery...
    Why didn't you bid the maximum you were prepared to pay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2429
    Wise words indeed!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    eoinzy said:

No bids. 9 secs left. Went £70 over starting price. Outbid. No time to react. Endless misery...
    You can't just go giving this away at the start of an auction. guaranteed to drive up the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28089
    I have “an interest” in Kawai guitars.  That started out as an interest in a very specific model - KS11XL in natural.

Back in the early noughties, I had an eBay search set up for Kawai (still do), and the exact model appeared for sale.  Looked pristine, original (from early 80s) case, etc.

As it happens, my good lady had just bought me a birthday PRS SE, which I was loving.

Price of the Kawai was going up, and up, and up, and I eventually bailed at ~£500 on the basis that I could buy another PRS SE for that sort of money, and they’re great guitars.

As soon as the listing ended, I started kicking myself.

Over the following few years, I set up the Kawai website, tracked down lots of other guitars & owners worldwide, and bought just about every Kawai that I found for sale.  Eventually, I found another KS11XL in natural too.

Would winning that original auction have sated my Kawai interest?  Perhaps.  If so, bidding an extra £100, £200, even £500, would have saved me the probably-£10k that I spent on all the others.

Though that did buy me probably the largest Kawai collection in the world
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28089
    PS, the one on the left ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7065
    prlgmnr said:
    eoinzy said:

You can't just go giving this away at the start of an auction. guaranteed to drive up the price.
    I don’t think Steve was implying that. Just bid the maximum youre prepared to pay 10 secs before the end of the listing. If you don’t “win” then walk away happy that it went for too much money.

Note - you don’t “win”, you’re just buying an item for money.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    I was just on my way back from Nottingham one night, having dropped off an Eastman 403CE to a chap there. I'd got my on a Gibson Lucille - I already had this one, but noticed that the auction started at £1100 and had two bids and was around £1120, so I watched it.

Anyway, it still hadn't had any bids about fifteen minutes before the auction ended, so I called into a fairly local pub that was twenty minutes away from my house, as I wouldn't have made it back in time. Settled down with a beer, and thought I'd put a bid in of £1600 about fifteen seconds before the end of auction and leave it at that.

So I did - just as the wireless connection dropped out. It went for £1120, with no more bids. Fortunately, I was brave and didn't cry. *

* Until I got home.
    Call me Dave.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    TTony said:
    PS, the one on the left ...

I like the headstocks. Très Japonaise  :3
    edited July 2022
    -
    edited July 2022
    -
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    hassleham said:
    The worst one i've had I didn't even get a chance to bid. The guitar was put on ebay with a very vague title and description and so it wasn't detected by the various email notifications that I have set up. I found the auction only one day after it had ended on £270. By the end of the week it was for sale by that twat in essex for £1200. I was kicking myself!
    A random twat in Essex? Or is there a known twat in Essex who marks up guitars 300%?
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
    I saw an original Marshall 8x12 listed on eBay once for £70, BIN.

By the time I hit BIN someone else had got there first.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2685
    @Pabcrane It is a reference to a specific twat. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    eoinzy said:

No, you wait till a few seconds from the end, then put in the maximum you're prepared to pay. If it goes over, no pain. If under, you did better than that were prepared. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4342
    I won an auction for a Baltimore orioles baseball signed by players for 99p and the seller reneged on the deal , no one else was interested in it , but seller just clammed up. People like that ruin auctions , if he wasn’t prepared to gamble he should have listed it fixed price 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    -
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    I won an auction for a Baltimore orioles baseball signed by players for 99p and the seller reneged on the deal , no one else was interested in it , but seller just clammed up. People like that ruin auctions , if he wasn’t prepared to gamble he should have listed it fixed price
    Is that against the rules? I'm not too au fait with eBay selling Even if it's not it's a pretty shitty thing to do. I can understand if you have the item listed somewhere else, such as the classified ads here but not with an auction. Having said that a baseball probably wouldn't readily fit under any of the categories here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom