Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2650
    When I was exclusively playing bass I got into a bit of private messaging and eventually email correspondence with a bloke on a bass forum.  Seemed a nice bloke with some similar interests, and we exchanged some posts about bass-related stuff, and I told him I was looking for a particular model of bass (a Lakland) and he very kindly said he'd look out for one on my behalf.

Time passed then one morning I saw he'd sent me an email "the perfect bass for you is on Ebay right now, listed with a Buy It Now."  His email was a couple of hours old, so I logged onto Ebay and there it was, exactly what I wanted, fair price.  I was just about to pull the trigger on it when I got another email from him "sorry, couldn't resist, I've bought it myself".

Needless to say that was the end of a beautiful friendship.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Nothing really except a damn courier losing really nice set of pickups I was in two minds about selling anyway. about 70 not too big a deal. Mostl my trading experience has been very good save the serious low ball nutters.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    There was a fairly unique Les Paul on eBay up until recently that I'd been holding off on until I'd sold my PRS. The week I sell it, the LP's gone - not sold, just listing removed. I messaged the seller just in case it might still be available and he was going to relist it, but he'd decided to keep it!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    All bits from eBay, built a strat, ended up costing way to much with a fret level and lots of other things. The end product sounded rubbish. Broke it apart are sold all the bits. Lost about £500. Would never do a partscaster again from scratch.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    Well mine wasn't a guitar. I was bidding on a suit of armour but got pipped at the post by someone else. A few days later I got a message from the seller saying that the winner was commissioning a custom suit from him, and I was now the winner!

Unfortunately, in the intervening period I'd used most of my available funds buys some other stuff.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    prlgmnr said:
    eoinzy said:

No bids. 9 secs left. Went £70 over starting price. Outbid. No time to react. Endless misery...
    Why didn't you bid the maximum you were prepared to pay?
    You can't just go giving this away at the start of an auction. guaranteed to drive up the price.
    No, you wait till a few seconds from the end, then put in the maximum you're prepared to pay. If it goes over, no pain. If under, you did better than that were prepared. 
    Exactly this!

My worst was over 10 years ago, someone was selling an amazing status bass that I could afford. I swapped a few questions with the guy and knew my max bid. I always just bid at the last moment, partly so that I don't show my hand to other bidders, and partly to stop me throwing mad desperate late bids on over what I can spare.

Anyway, I was SOOOOOOO up for this bass, it just felt like I had my name written on it.  It got to the last ten mins of the auction so I thought I'd head over and keep track before bidding, but ....... some how I messed up the timing. The auction had finished!!!!! Someone else had my bass, and for £200 less that I was going to bid!

Bloody hell was that painful! My brain was in anguish!!!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1175
    I spent about 2 whole days watching a little amp that Dan of @4114Effects made out of an old Roberts radio, it was around £150-180 when I saw it, I was the highest bidder for about a day and someone swooped on it in the last minute, i think it went for about £300, it was last year though so might be wrong on the numbers. It still stings. 
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    Alex2678 said:
    I spent about 2 whole days watching a little amp that Dan of @4114Effects made out of an old Roberts radio, it was around £150-180 when I saw it, I was the highest bidder for about a day and someone swooped on it in the last minute, i think it went for about £300, it was last year though so might be wrong on the numbers. It still stings. 
    Ouch. Hate missing out on eBay auctions! It's living on a barge now with a very appreciative harmonica player ... I'll let you know if I build another :-)
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4341
    Pabcrane said:
    I won an auction for a Baltimore orioles baseball signed by players for 99p and the seller reneged on the deal , no one else was interested in it , but seller just clammed up. People like that ruin auctions , if he wasn’t prepared to gamble he should have listed it fixed price
    Is that against the rules? I'm not too au fait with eBay selling Even if it's not it's a pretty shitty thing to do. I can understand if you have the item listed somewhere else, such as the classified ads here but not with an auction. Having said that a baseball probably wouldn't readily fit under any of the categories here...
    When I started off with eBay it was supposed to be the same as a regular auction and the rules were enforced ,now they don’t give a damn 
    Ouch. Hate missing out on eBay auctions! It's living on a barge now with a very appreciative harmonica player ... I'll let you know if I build another :-)
    Thanks Dan! Glad someone’s enjoying it. I’m keenly watching the Jaffa cake mini you made that’s currently on eBay, if it’s still there when I’ve got the brass I’ll be jumping on it. I do always keep an eye out for stuff you’ve made, not seen an amp you’ve done that didn’t have some serious mojo. I’m from Halifax as well so there might be a local factor as well
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    It was probably a Cornford MK50 II and 4x12 cab that went for £1.050. Or an MK50 that sold recently for £510.
    tFB Trader
    Alex2678 said:
    Thanks Dan! Glad someone’s enjoying it. I’m keenly watching the Jaffa cake mini you made that’s currently on eBay, if it’s still there when I’ve got the brass I’ll be jumping on it. I do always keep an eye out for stuff you’ve made, not seen an amp you’ve done that didn’t have some serious mojo. I’m from Halifax as well so there might be a local factor as well
    That sold ages ago... Just had to check but it's not on there ... :-)

Do have some interesting projects that'll be for sale soon. I'll message you the details. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    About 15 years ago I was mad about Boss pedals but never wanted to spend more than £25 including delivery. There was countless auctions I missed out by a quid. That's not to say the winning bidder hadn't put a tenner more.

Surprisingly, I got quite a few pedals within budget and sold them all on during my frequent clear-cuts.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Do have some interesting projects that'll be for sale soon. I'll message you the details. 
    Think whoever bought it is now selling it - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323959149021 at a pretty reasonable price.

Hopefully won’t live to regret drawing everyone’s attention to it as it’ll probably be a couple of months before I’m looking to buy anything. Yeah please do mate, think my favourite you’ve done so far was that paisley vibrochamp. Stunning 
    tFB Trader
    Alex2678 said:

Think whoever bought it is now selling it - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323959149021 at a pretty reasonable price.

Hopefully won’t live to regret drawing everyone’s attention to it as it’ll probably be a couple of months before I’m looking to buy anything. Yeah please do mate, think my favourite you’ve done so far was that paisley vibrochamp. Stunning 
    I have a little paisley head I've just finished. :-)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8874
    Alex2678 said:

I have a little paisley head I've just finished. :-)
    I do so love a little head.

Paisley, or otherwise.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Colour me interested 
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    Not sure if it counts..but buying a sh1theap  rust bucket of  a 1971 911 on eBay after getting my brother to 'inspect it' in Bristol when I was living in Dublin certainly ranks up there in the learning opportunities front..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom