Why is Mahogany set and Maple bolted?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
in Guitar tFB Trader
If someone told you they'd just been out and bought a maple necked guitar and a mahogany necked guitar you would probably assume that the former was a bolt neck and the latter a set neck.

I know there are exceptions like maple necked Les Pauls etc, but there is any reason for this other than that one is the way Fender do it and the other how Gibson do it?

You do get the odd set neck Telecaster etc, but they don't tend to be ash and maple.

Any reason other than convention?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17003
    maple holds a screw thread a lot better than mahogany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1559
    WezV said:
    Quite possibly, but the neck doesnt hold the thread, the body does. I don't know off the top of my head, but I can't imagine basswood or alder is better than mahogany. Ash maybe. But mahogany would be quite sufficient at thread holding anyway.

Adam
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8863
    Wood strength is one way of looking at it. Another way is production cost. Leo Fender was going for the cheap and simple approach. At the outset he viewed necks as replaceable items, so they had to be easy to remove. Gibson on the other hand were used to building set neck acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments where the necks were traditionally glued in.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Wood strength is one way of looking at it. Another way is production cost. Leo Fender was going for the cheap and simple approach. At the outset he viewed necks as replaceable items, so they had to be easy to remove. Gibson on the other hand were used to building set neck acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments where the necks were traditionally glued in.

That's fair enough, but is it just a 70 year convention, or does it make sense in the modern world?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    My Suhr Guthrie Govan has a bolted on Mahogany neck and my Eggle has a glued in maple one
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23807

I think it's mostly convention. 

But Wez's point is very relevant, Fender decided on the bolt-on construction to cut costs and they probably did find that it worked better with maple than softer woods (just as they found that not having a truss rod was problematic).  Maple, ash and alder may also have been cheaper than imported tropical hardwoods, I'd imagine?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16454
    Apparently Les Paul requested that the instruments were maple with mahogany for the cap ( I think the cap was an early design decision to show off Gibson’s  building skills) but that would have been too heavy so mahogany with a maple cap it was. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1751
    All set neck Hamer models which were factory fitted with floyds (probably same with Kahlers) had maple necks instead of mahogany.

That includes, SS1, SS2, first gen Chaparrals, TLEs, FBs, Blitz

Interesting examples of varying construction within the same models include the late 80’s/early 90s Sunbursts. 

These had mahogany necks when built with fixed bridges, but maple necks when a floyd was specified.

The variation was purely for strength because at the time the locking nuts had fixing bolts that went straight through the neck in the 80s and surface mounted from about 1990. 

They stuck with maple necks on the set neck floyded models even when the locking nuts went to surface mounting.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kalimna said:
    WezV said:
    Quite possibly, but the neck doesnt hold the thread, the body does.

Not on a Strat or a Tele (or Jag or Jazzmaster or Precision or Jazz bass etc).  They use wood screws.  The screws pass through the back of the body and the threaded end of the screw is driven into the neck wood (ie normally maple on the Fender guitars listed).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Kalimna said:
    WezV said:
    Quite possibly, but the neck doesnt hold the thread, the body does. 
    Not on any strat I’ve come across!

If the screw is threaded inside the Body it’s not pulling the neck tight down in the pocket... open up those screw holes and release the tonez!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    Are you just referring to solid bodied electrics??  I wouldn't make your assumption. For a start, plenty of Acoustic Guitars, and Archtops, have glued Maple necks.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31259
    edited July 2020
    Kalimna said:
    WezV said:
    Quite possibly, but the neck doesnt hold the thread, the body does. I don't know off the top of my head, but I can't imagine basswood or alder is better than mahogany. Ash maybe. But mahogany would be quite sufficient at thread holding anyway.

Adam

Unless, for some bizarre personal challenge of phrasing,  you're bolting your neck on straight through the top of the fingerboard, the neck does hold the thread!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19536
    My telecaster (in the sig pic) has a mahogany body with a bolt on maple neck, where my MIJ Tokai Love Rock has a mahogany body with a maple set neck. Love them both, so I say sod convention  ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    Are you just referring to solid bodied electrics??  I wouldn't make your assumption. For a start, plenty of Acoustic Guitars, and Archtops, have glued Maple necks.

Yeah just electrics.

Acoustics are for hippies.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1559
    Regarding 'bolt on' necks, my bad. I feel like an idiot. For some reason my brain had a temporary fail, and of course the screw thread mechanicaly grips the neck, not the body.

Adam
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    But would it be viable to make a bolt on mahogany neck ? 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16454
    DrBob said:
    Yes and people do. Fairly sure Warmoth make a mahogany tele neck for a start. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6237
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    My Suhr Guthrie Govan has a bolted on Mahogany neck and my Eggle has a glued in maple one
    contrary barstool ....... lol

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17003
    DrBob said:
    Yes.... But if that's neck is coming on and off a lot then stripping the threads is going to happen a lot sooner than it does on maple.

I wouldn't do a bolt on mahogany neck without using inserts, or at least plugging with a wood that holds a thread better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    My 305 has a maple neck and it’s a set neck.