Why are most of us so firmly stuck in the past

What's Hot

Comments

• UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
    I design and make guitars that have lots of influences and different features that tip their hats to the different ‘Greats’. Yet I own a Jazzmaster and an Epiphone Sheraton II, the 2 guitar types that I owned in my teens!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Because most of us want to recreate and not innovate. That's why I think PRS have succeeded, can you imagine if Gibson had fitted locking machine heads as standard?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007
    I'm not trying to emulate anything. I'm just trying to have fun.

Have a Wis. So am I. Frustrating, isn't it? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007
    The basic design of a guitar hasn't changed for hundreds of years, really. Just like violins, 'cellos, pianos, etc. Sizes, materials, strings, internal construction methods have evolved, but not really changed. On the outside, they're essentially all the same and - in the main - are played in the same way. Strings are made to vibrate (several methods exist) and their length gets changed to make different notes (several methods exist). 

The further development of the electric guitar wasn't a "blue sky" invention from a blank canvas. We all know it was a desire to make the guitar louder in a big band situation so people could hear it over the brass section. It's still a guitar, though, isn't it? 

I don't think the prevalence of Les Pauls, Teles and Strats is down to conservatism in the players or lack of imagination on the part of the builders. These instruments just work in a predictable way and they deliver predictable results. If your primary drive is to play and be heard when you do so, why not just go with one of those and just focus on the "having fun" part? 

Back to the OP. That, for me, is probably why things are the way they are and why I'm quite OK about it. 

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10234
    A lot of learning is about muscle memory. Having an instrument that feels “home” is important. 
    My first guitar was an encore s type. I then got a tele as my first proper guitar. Despite having tried pretty much everything, a tele is home and always will be. 
  • Not stuck, wallowing... 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    IMO the Les Paul is the biggest culprit of traditional thinking. If you look at it objectively its basically an acoustic archtop cutaway with a solid back and top. Prettily made but very crude. 

As a result it's heavier than need be and not ergonomic. (tuneomatics are naff too).

By contrast a strat was way more modern in 1954. This is why PRS have found a market for improved dual humbucker guitars wheras there is no company out there making serious coin on 3 pickup double cutaway guitars.

Any failure by Fender to capitalise on Suhr's success is due to their lifeless sounding plus strats with nuclear thick finishes and weird necks rather than a problem with the template. 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    edited July 2020
    There has been plenty of innovators over the years in the guitar world, but most get ignored, this could be deliberate or just a lack of publicity.

Maybe, we just need to listen without prejudgement.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • A strat is the perfect electric guitar design. Its been honed over the years but nothing will ever beat it as you can't improve on perfection.

Leo just got it right.

That's been said by a LOT of high profile players.

The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    A strat is the perfect electric guitar design. Its been honed over the years but nothing will ever beat it as you can't improve on perfection.

Leo just got it right.

I’m sure a lot of Les Paul players would say similar.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1740
    Do  trumpet  or similar players fart around on forums like this or is just us.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52

Did something a bit like that a few years ago which was very rewarding as it was so different and complex.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    A strat is the perfect electric guitar design. Its been honed over the years but nothing will ever beat it as you can't improve on perfection.

Leo just got it right.

Guitars are a bit like wine - the concept was sorted at the outset and good ones get better with age.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475

Leo just got it right.
    Apart from the lack of a 5-way switch and the volume control being in the wrong place, but they're easy enough to fix.

The pickups are a bit weedy and not hum-cancelling too, but likewise easy enough to put right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    DrJazzTap said:
    Because most of us want to recreate and not innovate. That's why I think PRS have succeeded, can you imagine if Gibson had fitted locking machine heads as standard?
    I think that is a valid comment - If PRS himself had worked for Gibson, then turned up with a CU24 at a board meeting I would imagine it would have been turned down flat !

Yet if it had have got past 1st post would the market place have accepted it ?
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 198
    dazzajl said:
    Let's not underestimate the contribution of the 80s. 
    What if you really really want to?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    DrJazzTap said:
    I think that is a valid comment - If PRS himself had worked for Gibson, then turned up with a CU24 at a board meeting I would imagine it would have been turned down flat !

Yet if it had have got past 1st post would the market place have accepted it ?
    Cant be more crazy than an explorer, moderne or flying V. The 50's were fairly open minded for guitar design all considered.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001

Leo just got it right.

A Tele is closer to being perfect I think, he got it (mostly) right for me to start with :) shame they don't come in 24.75" too
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    edited July 2020
    Strandberg, in my opinion is one of the best mass production guitar innovations in recent times:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 856
    edited July 2020
    I was really progressive today. I put the stock speed knobs back on my Les Paul Traditional after switching them to top hats for years in an effort to pretend I had an R9.