Why are most of us so firmly stuck in the past

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    I disagree with the premise of the question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Pretty sure a solid body electric guitar could be made from synthetic materials that are superior to wood tbh
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32382
    roberty said:
    Pretty sure a solid body electric guitar could be made from synthetic materials that are superior to wood tbh
    The thing is, wood grows on trees. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    scrumhalf said:
    Why should newer versions of things be better than versions that have come before?

Some things are more or less spot-on from the beginning, and the passage of time doesn't change that. There will probably be small incidents of evolution rather than massive revolution.

I hate the "expiry date" concept for things that function well. That's what the fashion industry aims for. They tell you that what you have is crap and needs replacing, then a year later they tell you that the replacement you shelled out a not inconsiderable sum for is crap and it, too, needs replacing for, would you believe it, a not inconsiderable sum.

Repeat until the penny drops. 
    They should be better than before, the word is progress.

computers, cars, buildings, medicine, bridges, planes, the internet, we learn from our past and improve and make it better.

If everyone just stick with what we’ve got then we would still be in caves.
    Those things you mention there are all about function so technically better for those means they actually are better.

But things to do with art or entertainment is down to people's tastes so technically advanced doesn't necessarily mean the person will like it more.

People still like to eat food from recipes from hundreds of years ago even though meals made with chemicals and liquid nitrogen etc. might be more technically advanced.

Same with music - a synthesizer is more technically advanced than a harp but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone would prefer it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Freebird said:
    birtner said:
    It’s kind of like asking why is a spade a spade. The constant need to innovate beyond functionality it’s marketing tool
    Beyond marketing, the constant need to innovate is the result of people trying to justify their job titles. Local and Central government is a good example of this, as we drown in an ocean of rules and regulations.
    Excellent post!
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    Making dedicated, very very expensive, advanced quad processor computer units to emulate 1950's valve amp designs is a typical guitaristic thing of being "firmly stuck in the past". A dedicated quad processor computer unit could do so much more, with a bit of creativity and a passion for new sounds.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    edited July 2020
    ... and does, but most of the music it is used to play requires traditional sounds. What the digital approach does give is reliability and switching capability. It's analogous to Telex, fax and email. Each can be used to emulate its predecessor, but can do a lot more. Nevertheless the message content can be unchanged.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    edited July 2020
    roberty said:
    Superior in consistency, stability and durability, yes. But not necessarily superior in feel or tone.

GuyBoden said:
    Making dedicated, very very expensive, advanced quad processor computer units to emulate 1950's valve amp designs is a typical guitaristic thing of being "firmly stuck in the past".
    I have no interest at all in that - I'm not "anti" it, it just isn't something I've ever wanted or felt the need to use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    axisus said:
    That's like saying Why do we still think Marilyn Monroe is attractive? Why haven't we moved on to chubby girls with shaved heads.
    Marilyn was a size 16, no waif-like supermodel !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1660
    IMO innovation can be a problematic process, and can take place for the wrong reasons (or marketing) - Just look at the awful 80s guitar/synth thing, necks without headstocks etc.

I have seen knowledge eradicated in my industry because of the move to a data driven regime - which is fine, although the risk is that we lose expertise over a longer sustained period - because we are not respecting the past.

If it ain’t broke etc...
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    The biggest point is that music and making music are emotional processes and anything that helps you be in the zone you need to be in to make music is cool. 

For some that's no restrictions so something ultra modern and well engineered and for others it means a link back to the music that made them want to play in the first place. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4506
    soma1975 said:
    The biggest point is that music and making music are emotional processes and anything that helps you be in the zone you need to be in to make music is cool. 

For some that's no restrictions so something ultra modern and well engineered and for others it means a link back to the music that made them want to play in the first place. 

Wis'd. This is the point that underlies so many of the debates we have around guitars - innovation vs tradition, relics, nitro vs poly etc etc. The technicalities do not matter. Whether something would be discernible in a blind test does not matter. Whether something like wear and tear is "real" doesn;t matter. It's about creative and performance headspace and even if something that gets you in that space is entirely delusional, it still doesn't matter if it helps you make the music you want to make in the way you want to make it. We also can't forget that music is show biz too and there's a whole layer of iconography that goes along with it which is also perfectly valid.