P Bass on a budget - anything better than squier classic vibe?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Peavey Fury.......USA build.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you looking for a keeper bass? One to upgrade as you see fit over time? One to get you started and move on to "better" if you want to stick to playing bass?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Are you looking for a keeper bass?
    Too late. The thread starter made his purchase in late July. (See sub-page 1.) 

Snap said:
    I've been twitching for a Squier Classic Vibe 70s, thinking I'd put a SD SB3 in it and a Hi Mass bridge
    I tried the Fender Hi-Mass (BadAss-alike) brass bridge on my Squier VM PJ Bass. It dulled the tone. I quickly reverted to my usual all-steel Gotoh 201B.

The Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound Precision Bass pickup has high output and a tone that is somewhat removed from a vintage P. IMO, the SPB-2 Hot or SPB-4 Steve Harris models might be a better compromise. The Duncan Antiquity and Fender AV pickups adhere to the traditional 11k formula.

YMMV.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Are you looking for a keeper bass?
    Too late. The thread starter made his purchase in late July. (See sub-page 1.) 

Snap said:
    I've been twitching for a Squier Classic Vibe 70s, thinking I'd put a SD SB3 in it and a Hi Mass bridge
    I tried the Fender Hi-Mass (BadAss-alike) brass bridge on my Squier VM PJ Bass. It dulled the tone. I quickly reverted to my usual all-steel Gotoh 201B.

The Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound Precision Bass pickup has high output and a tone that is somewhat removed from a vintage P. IMO, the SPB-2 Hot or SPB-4 Steve Harris models might be a better compromise. The Duncan Antiquity and Fender AV pickups adhere to the traditional 11k formula.

YMMV.
    Thanks for this info. Funny, I'd decided that the Gotoh would be a better bridge option, so is good to hear first hand that you preferred it to the Hi Mass.

Pickup - fair point. I have a Stingray which has all the power in the world, so it makes sense to stick to something more " P bass" in terms of output and tone I guess. Of course, I'm making the assumption that the stock pup is not good enough in the first place, and it could be spot on.