Sell Tesla?

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896

have you looked at the graphs for other G7 countries?
    Not in detail but I looked briefly at the long term historical performance of the UK, Europe & Asia markets a few years ago.

Why?
    to validate/refute your implicit hypothesis that USA stock market value increasing by 600% in 12 years is related to GDP growth

Do the other countries have similar GDP growth charts?
    How do their stock market indices look?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• have you looked at the graphs for other G7 countries?
    Not in detail but I looked briefly at the long term historical performance of the UK, Europe & Asia markets a few years ago.

Why?
    to validate/refute your implicit hypothesis that USA stock market value increasing by 600% in 12 years is related to GDP growth

Do the other countries have similar GDP growth charts?
    How do their stock market indices look?
    I don't need to validate/refute anything. I'm quite happy with my investment decisions and have no doubts.

I hope you guys are all watching your investments today, time to pay attention
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited February 2022
    Why? Yet another global crisis rocks global markets etc...etc...?

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2997
    edited February 2022

Not so much my investments, I've been following the gold spot price closely for the last good few hows, at one point it was near enough to £1490.00 an oz, now it's at £1467.64 an oz.

Though I've just recieved a notification that the Russian stock market has dropped 32% since yesterday.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I guess the main thing to think about is when to buy in. As for dropping stocks, doesn't matter unless you are drawing the money. I'm not, so I'm pretty much ignoring it. 
    btw managed funds are priced once per day, so are not up to date
  • Snap said:
    I guess the main thing to think about is when to buy in. As for dropping stocks, doesn't matter unless you are drawing the money. I'm not, so I'm pretty much ignoring it. 
    Same here, I'm increasing monthly salary sacrifice into my pension significantly next month and buying 100% US stocks index fund to hold for long term. Not rattled by any of the news or current market volatility in the slightest.

• btw managed funds are priced once per day, so are not up to date

I manage my own portfolio and financial investments, no fund manager or managed funds, so the prices I get and am quoting are live as I'm typing them.
    edited February 2022
    FTSE100 closed down 3.8% but NASDAQ up 1.3% and S&P500 just turned positive so far in today's trading, just goes to show that as a non-professional investor with a day job and no desire to sit in front of screens day trading all day, that you cannot predict or time the markets in such macro terms.

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    I must admit I’m not quite as relaxed as others. Only been in the market for three years, so the falls come with a bit of a thud.
    I think it’s just a case of experience and time and I’ll be as relaxed as others.
    Luckily I am still in a positive, but the actual loss from the high is a massive figure that takes some getting around my head. 
  • Rob1742 said:
    I must admit I’m not quite as relaxed as others. Only been in the market for three years, so the falls come with a bit of a thud.
    I think it’s just a case of experience and time and I’ll be as relaxed as others.
    Luckily I am still in a positive, but the actual loss from the high is a massive figure that takes some getting around my head. 
    You'll be fine, take the long view, hang in there and don't sell anything while the prices are down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    Rob1742 said:
    You'll be fine, take the long view, hang in there and don't sell anything while the prices are down.
    I wont sell, but it’s quite a shock to the system. I need to stop looking. 
    edited February 2022
    Rob1742 said:

I'm not worried in the slightest, I've even had a volitility waring about one of my investments, overall, yes my portfolio has taken a hit, 3.16% hit to be precise, but I'm looking at this as an opportunity to invest more, and plan on taking advantage of the price drops.  I may have have a different investment stratergy and goal from you, not to mention tolerance and exposure to risk.

Rob1742 said:
    Rob1742 said:
    I wont sell, but it’s quite a shock to the system. I need to stop looking. 

I still pucker up every time my portfolio losses as little as a penny, I'm practically addicted to checking my brokers, financial management and aanalysis software.  It's a habbit I haven't been able to break since I bought my first share, but then I have no interest in day trading, I buy almost exclusively with the intention of holding long term, I have bought and turned around and sold relatively quickly, and with the intention to do so, but for me that has always been the exception, and it's something I only do when I think I'm on to an opportunity too good to pass on, not to mention that I manage my own investments, I don't use a fund manager, nor do I invest in any.  So for me constantly checking on my portfolio, financial management software, and commodity prices has become second nature to me, a summary of all that information is the first thing I see whenever I unlock any of my phones or tablets.

Not to mention gold has start to drop, from as much as near enough to £1490.00 an oz, to £1467.64 to now currently £1428.24 - as I type this, that's a sign of expected stability
    Not sure why people think that short-term investments are such a bad idea
    with day trading, you can keep your money in zero risk cash, and only invest when something is clearly underpriced

like my mate did yesterday, bought 5000 POLY shares at 550p
    sold today for 800p

that's £12.5k profit, in one day
    edited February 2022
    with day trading, you can keep your money in zero risk cash, and only invest when something is clearly underpriced

sold today for 800p

I have nothing against either day trading, or short term investing, I've done it myself on more than one occassion,  for example Barclays made me good money bought in at under 80p a share sold them shortly after for 188.??p a share - I'd have to go through my trading history to get the exact prices but these are close enough, more than doubling my money.  It's just not my investment stratergy,  I invest for dividends.  I want a share of the profits from the companies I invest in make, the day to day value of their stock is not my main concern, rather their dividends payout, how stable that dividend payment is, and the history of the company's dividend payouts, that sort of information.   So using Tesla as an example, I don't own a single share in the company, yet alone a fraction of one, simply because they don't pay dividends, so instead of buying Tesla stocks at US$809.93 - the current share price as I type this, and relying on the share price moving up and selling my shares to turn a profit, I buy shares in company ''X'' - a real company that I'm not going to name so nobody can say I'm giving financial or investment advice, at US$23.91 per share, and be able to buy 33 shares for every 1 share of Tesla stock, that has a dividend yield of 8.95% and pays out dividends monthly, with larger dividend payouts at the end of every financial quarter and the financial year.  My main concerns when investing is tax effeciency - not tax avoidence but minimising my exposure to it, dividend yield, and the stability of the dividends.

Rob1742 said:

I don't know how closely you follow your investments, but from being 3.16% down yesterday, as I type this, my portfolio is now only down by 0.30%, that's a recovery of over 2% in roughly 24 hours.
    edited February 2022

sold today for 800p

It's always “my mate” that made the money isn't it? And we never hear about the trades that didn't work out or what trades you did 

Day trading is a bad idea for the majority of people because statistically, more people lose money than make money day trading, trying to time the market. We always hear about the teenager who made a million in 6 months trading crypto but we don't hear about the people who slowly lose money over a few years through fees and bad trades.

Many millions of people, who have a career, profession or full time job and family that they want to focus on, have no interest in becoming a Wall Street wannabe. They want to take their earnings and invest in a simple way to build up a sum of money they can use in retirement while they get on with their lives.

Buying and holding a low cost index fund or funds, invested in a selection of assets that match your risk appetite and regions that interest you, for the long term, through the ups and downs of the stock market, is a perfectly sensible and proven solution that requires little more than rudimentary knowledge and no effort whatsoever once set up. My investments increased 27.7% (£67K investment growth net of additional contributions) last year by simply doing just that. No trading, no transactions, nothing.

What will the returns be this year? I have no idea, but I do know that over the next 20 years I will do OK. Trying to time the market is incredibly difficult.

On Feb 24 you posted: “I hope you guys are all watching your investments today, time to pay attention” as the Russian invasion of Ukraine commenced and a wave of fear and shock swept around the world.

The S&P500 increased by 1.5% on 24th and 2.24% on 25th. So what exactly was I supposed to be watching and paying attention to?

sold today for 800p

It's always “my mate” that made the money isn't it? And we never hear about the trades that didn't work out or what trades you did 

Day trading is a bad idea for the majority of people because statistically, more people lose money than make money day trading, trying to time the market. We always hear about the teenager who made a million in 6 months trading crypto but we don't hear about the people who slowly lose money over a few years through fees and bad trades.

Many millions of people, who have a career, profession or full time job and family that they want to focus on, have no interest in becoming a Wall Street wannabe. They want to take their earnings and invest in a simple way to build up a sum of money they can use in retirement while they get on with their lives.

Buying and holding a low cost index fund or funds, invested in a selection of assets that match your risk appetite and regions that interest you, for the long term, through the ups and downs of the stock market, is a perfectly sensible and proven solution that requires little more than rudimentary knowledge and no effort whatsoever once set up. My investments increased 27.7% (£67K investment growth net of additional contributions) last year by simply doing just that. No trading, no transactions, nothing.

What will the returns be this year? I have no idea, but I do know that over the next 20 years I will do OK. Trying to time the market is incredibly difficult.

On Feb 24 you posted: “I hope you guys are all watching your investments today, time to pay attention” as the Russian invasion of Ukraine commenced and a wave of fear and shock swept around the world.

The S&P500 increased by 1.5% on 24th and 2.24% on 25th. So what exactly was I supposed to be watching and paying attention to?
    my mate shut down his other businesses about 15 years ago, and just does trading now
    he runs on the basis that 2 successful trades to one unsuccessful is an acceptable ratio
    I think he makes over £100k a year typically, last year was more like £300k-£400k
    I made a lot last year too, I've not been trading much this year, too busy with work
    My mate's predictions are more frequently correct, on Thursday morning he said 
    S+P will "bounce into 4350 area on friday"
    He thinks it will drop to 3660 in April or May, we'll see if he's right

Why did I post?
    Even relatively passive investors should be aware of how world events affect their life savings

• Why did I post?
    Even relatively passive investors should be aware of how world events affect their life savings

Well it's comforting to know you are watching out for us  =)

edited February 2022

My mate's predictions are more frequently correct, on Thursday morning he said 
    S+P will "bounce into 4350 area on friday"
    He thinks it will drop to 3660 in April or May, we'll see if he's right

I'll pop a calendar reminder in to remind me to shrug with indifference regardless or whether "your mate" is right or wrong.