Music - What grinds your gears?

What's Hot

Comments

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    Ooooh, I've got one.

That George Ezra. It's like kids' music for grown-ups. He ought to be performing it from inside a mascot costume.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    99% of R&B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    - People who sing with too much emotion, it sounds pathetic and fake
    - People who sing with no emotion like all the modern rappers, put some effort in
    - Music that's got guitars in it, what is this, 1974? Piss off.
    - Music that uses samples, I want it real
    - Any song with a major 7th in. Fucking snowflake "I want to be happy but I don't know if it's ok" hand wringing bullshit.
    - Indie music. Grow some balls
    - Songs that forgot to have a bagpipe solo, signalling a lack of bravery on the part of the production team
    - Songs with production teams, churning out manufactured hits
    - Female lead vocalists
    - The Cure
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Disturb’ds cover of Sound of Silence, he sounds like he’s passing a particularly difficult stool and strips all the emotion and pathos of the original song 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    scrumhalf said:
    Using songs in adverts because of the title or one line in the lyrics whilst completely ignoring the entire song.

As an example, someone is using the Beach Boys' "Wouldn't It Be Nice" for their ads, the premise being that their product/service (I forget which) makes things nice.

Except that the song is about someone looking forward to marrying his girlfriend so they can have sex whenever they want.

Any idea why one of the car companies is using a remake of 21st Century Schizoid Man for an advert :/ ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited August 2020
    Singers who demonstrate their incredible vocal control by embellishing every single note instead of singing me a goddamn tune.
    Is this what I call "Warbling"?

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Using songs in adverts because of the title or one line in the lyrics whilst completely ignoring the entire song.

As an example, someone is using the Beach Boys' "Wouldn't It Be Nice" for their ads, the premise being that their product/service (I forget which) makes things nice.

Except that the song is about someone looking forward to marrying his girlfriend so they can have sex whenever they want.

Any idea why one of the car companies is using a remake of 21st Century Schizoid Man for an advert :/ ?
    I think it's a Kanye West song called Power, which is presumably why they've chosen it and indeed a good example of using one line if a song that is otherwise completely irrelevant
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    thecolourbox said: Kanye West 
    I mean, there you go.

That utter, gigantic, crashing bell-end. How in the blue fuck did this hapless tosser manage to convince so many people that he was some kind of genius? Unlike the majority of artists who I find annoying or otherwise rubbish, West distinguishes himself by having produced not even one, single, solitary piece of work you can point at and go "fair enough, that's not bad".

Of course he married Kim Kardashian, the patron saint of the worthlessness of celebrity. Of course he chucked his lot in with Donald Trump, who is basically everything wrong with humanity rolled up and topped with a fright wig.

I'll agree he's a genius if and when he finally admits that his entire career and public person has been one huge elaborate prank. Until then he can fuck off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 631
    Everybody is feat: nobody in pop, rap, or r&b can make a record without featuring someone else. Nobody can write a song without the help of numerous co-writers and producers.
  • Litterick said:
    Everybody is feat: nobody in pop, rap, or r&b can make a record without featuring someone else. Nobody can write a song without the help of numerous co-writers and producers.
    Isn't that at least in part because previously people used studio session players and producers etc whereas these days, the producers make the music in their name then just get somebody else to sing on it?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Litterick said:
    Isn't that at least in part because previously people used studio session players and producers etc whereas these days, the producers make the music in their name then just get somebody else to sing on it?
    Don't be so reasonable! You're too late; the concept of collaborating on music has been judged and deemed unacceptable within this threat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cirrus said:
    Litterick said:
    Don't be so reasonable! You're too late; the concept of collaborating on music has been judged and deemed unacceptable within this threat.
    I've never been described as reasonable before, you take that back young man!
    Jalapeno said:
    scrumhalf said:

I think it's a Kanye West song called Power, which is presumably why they've chosen it and indeed a good example of using one line if a song that is otherwise completely irrelevant

Even the one line used is irrelevant, unless (Ford I think it is) are saying this is THE car is for a Schzoid Man ? :/

Feedback
  • I threatened to add some more then forgot so I'll do so now.

- unnecessary backing vocals, or harmony that just moves in line with the tune at a set interval.
    - the term "banger" to describe a song
    - Fake sounding strings used on last chorus to make them sound "massive"
    - the propensity of the public to prefer songs like Mr Brightside, Sex on Fire and Living on a Prayer instead of other much better songs.
    - the obsession with 80s rock amongst guitarists who therefore refer to amps or pedals as achieving that ac/dc crunch. amongst other things
    - people asking me what music I listen to, because I don't know how to describe it
  • Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    scrumhalf said:

Even the one line used is irrelevant, unless (Ford I think it is) are saying this is THE car is for a Schzoid Man ? :/
    I think it's this one, I was referring to the line about being in the 21st century, as an attempt to sound modern and cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Sb_nDLfTc

- people asking me what music I listen to, because I don't know how to describe it
    That grinds my gears, too.

If it's not from a music fan, and moreso if it's from someone who isn't but reckons they are, "what kind of music are you into" or even worse "what kind of music does your band play" is a recipe for a deeply unsatisfying conversation all round.

• - people asking me what music I listen to, because I don't know how to describe it

If it's not from a music fan, and moreso if it's from someone who isn't but reckons they are, "what kind of music are you into" or even worse "what kind of music does your band play" is a recipe for a deeply unsatisfying conversation all round.
    Yes exactly that, at least with another musician you can use proper words. Otherwise it's like:

"I like Rock"   "Oh like Foo Fighters and Bon Jovi then?"   "Erm no, like indie rock"   "What does that mean though?"    "Ok do you know what I mean by garage rock?"   "You mean the dance music from the late 90s with the London accent rapping over it?"    "Erm, whatever yeah, let's just leave it at that shall we"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994

Yes exactly that, at least with another musician you can use proper words. Otherwise it's like:

"I like Rock"   "Oh like Foo Fighters and Bon Jovi then?"   "Erm no, like indie rock"   "What does that mean though?"    "Ok do you know what I mean by garage rock?"   "You mean the dance music from the late 90s with the London accent rapping over it?"    "Erm, whatever yeah, let's just leave it at that shall we"
    I had that even with a guitar player the other week:

“Rock, like Def Leppard and Metallica?”
     “no, more indie stuff like The National and Ryan Adams”
    ”no idea who those are”
    ”basically anything with beards and plaid shirts...”
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited August 2020
    +1 for the faux emotional versions of shit songs that end up on John Lewis adverts or similar. There's also currently a tv ad which has one of these versions of The Proclaimers, yes it's as terrible as you'd imagine.

Mainly I just can't fucking stand britpop or those 00s NME indie bands. Stuff like Franz Ferdinand, Futureheads, The Kooks etc. Absolutely horrid.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Actually, being somewhat misophonic, other people's taste in music.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....