Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have loads of friends?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    Kilgore said:
    Only acquaintances these days.

My family moved quite often when I was young so I've never had any long term friends from childhood. 

I had a small group of close friends in uni but have lost touch. A couple of them I could have called on to help dispose of a body. It's a shame really, the digging is difficult by yourself and it helps to have someone to hold the torch. 

The problem is when you get down to the last friend you can't ask them to dispose of themselves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited August 2020
    All you guys talking about hiding a body...ain't you ever seen the movies? Always do it alone. 

Something Kilgore just said rang true for me too actually - parents moving when you're young maybe does make it harder to settle and subsequently maintain friendships.

Mine moved a few times when I was small and then moved us a few counties away when I was about to start secondary school, which was a bit tough, at the time. 

• Talk of hiding bodies is something only loners do.

>ducks<

Bye!

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Talk of hiding bodies is something only loners do.

>ducks<
    It can be quite lucrative in royalties if the number of recordings of Psycho is anything to go by.  :)

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I'd say none, though oddly some of the best people to help me right now have been virtual (well, they're real, at least I think they are and not just really clever alorithms), my only real friend was mrs f. I always said I was happy in my own company, turns out what I was really happy with was her company. Being, like so many on here seem to be, a bit of an introvert, I never thought I'd get lonely, boy that was wrong. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10223
    edited August 2020
    I've got some very old friends, and I have a lot of friends from old places of work and current places of work. I have a band, cycling friends, gig friends, cinema friends, other parent friends. Only a handful of them are actually the people I'd count on but I'd say that I have enough friends that if I wanted someone to go to watch a film with, or a drink with that I can generally always arrange something or will get invited to something.

It's the opposite from school where I struggled to feel accepted amongst a group of friends I had. We would hang around all day at school and they would do stuff outside of school and not invite me. That was a bit hard at the time and I probably tried too hard to be liked. Now I am less bothered if someone likes me, but I do try and be helpful and available for my friends and colleagues and I'd like to think that goes a long way, especially when you're an adult.

I don't really speak to my school friends anymore. When I saw photos of them they were always hanging around in the same group with no new additions. This tells me that didn't really grow or venture out of their comfort zone. It's fine, but I think as you grow up it's important to do new things, meet new people, experience different cultures, and I think they stayed in the same area, done the same things every weekend with the same people. And I think there's more to see and do than the Red Lion every Friday.

But again, I would say I only have 3-4 friends that are more like family than friends.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12331
    Sonny sits by his window and thinks to himself
    How it's strange that some rooms are like cages
    Sonny's yearbook from high school
    Is down on the shelf
    And he idly thumbs through the pages
    Some have died
    Some have fled from themselves
    Or struggled from here to get there
    Sonny wanders beyond his interior walls
    Runs his hands through his thinning brown hair
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16680
    A lot less than I thought I had.

Left my wife 18 months ago after 21 years together, and whilst that has been mostly amicable and neither of us expected anyone to take sides... a large proportion of our mutual friends have shown they were not interested in talking to me or being a friend.  

Most of these I have known through multiple relationships, but they only knew me from one.

I was told  I would learn who my friends were.  It's a smaller circle than expected... But I appreciate them more.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    Reading this thread I do wonder if musicians are, percentage-wise, a naturally more introverted group of individuals compared to the general public. After all, our chosen hobby sees a lot of us isolating ourselves for 10,000 hours or so perfecting our craft rather than spending time doing something more social.

For many it’s more like isolating themselves for 10,000 hours talking about pedals on the internet.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited August 2020
    The most recent ‘true’ friend I met about 8 years ago - the rest go back decades. There aren’t that many in total - but I’d take quality over quantity every time. We know each other very well and have (generally) long, shared histories. 

My closest friend (Clare) died on Christmas Eve. She was 56 and as wonderful a person as anyone could have the privilege of knowing. She probably ‘got’ me more than anyone I’ve ever known. I miss her beyond words.