CONGRATULATIONS! BCD is now gone.

What's Hot

Comments

• BTW - I would happily be a mod. You'd have to do a purge of the admin areas of all of the "Drew's insane years" posts I'm sure, but I'd be happy to tackle spam and rule breaking. I've run a company forum for a while know, so I have priors.
    Mate, it would take us years to clear the admin area out of all the shit about you...

:D
    Get a better back-end with search and replace functions! :lol: 

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27083

But hardly any comments on how the membership collectively could address the issue that caused this in the first place. 

Therein lies the problem.
    Okay then - these apply to me just as much as anyone else!

1. Stop carrying grudges that are 5+ years old. Intermusic is gone. Musicradar is gone. Any offence you feel from week to week because someone laughed at you or made light of something you didn't want them to. Let it go.

2. Stop putting meaning onto the things people say. Instead, ask them what they mean if you don't understand, cannot fathom their viewpoint, or otherwise think they are an idiot. Maybe they have something to teach you.

3. Don't phone up shops and abuse staff. Don't threaten other members jobs. Don't think that just because you post on this forum that you deserve discounts and loyalty rewards.

4. Don't do a drive by "fuck you" and then chortle to yourself in the form of LOL-stalking. Tackle things you find objectionable proactively.

5. Don't accuse other members of being racist, xenophobic, or any other -ism you can conjure up, without 100% objective proof. If they've just said something you found was too coarse or off the mark, that doesn't give you the right to dehumanize them.

6. Reach out to members who don't appear to being having the best time of it. Support people as best you can and help the collective mental health of the forum improve.

7. Post more in the on-topic sections. Post any old inane bable as long as it's relevant to the particular sub-forum. It might spark an interesting conversation.

8. Use smilies more. They indicate your mood and give a pointer on how to read someone's post, or how you read someone's post. A lot of the disagreements and frustration people have towards one another is very often crossed wires.

9. Don't assume you know somebody and their personality just because you've interacted with them online for a number of years. People change, and change is gradual.

10. Don't be a vagina. Teased or otherwise. Exchange for don't be a dick rule if that makes you more comfortable.
    I think I may start a new "tFB Behaviours" guide with this in it.
    <space for hire>
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

But hardly any comments on how the membership collectively could address the issue that caused this in the first place. 

Therein lies the problem.
    Okay then - these apply to me just as much as anyone else!

1. Stop carrying grudges that are 5+ years old. Intermusic is gone. Musicradar is gone. Any offence you feel from week to week because someone laughed at you or made light of something you didn't want them to. Let it go.

2. Stop putting meaning onto the things people say. Instead, ask them what they mean if you don't understand, cannot fathom their viewpoint, or otherwise think they are an idiot. Maybe they have something to teach you.

3. Don't phone up shops and abuse staff. Don't threaten other members jobs. Don't think that just because you post on this forum that you deserve discounts and loyalty rewards.

4. Don't do a drive by "fuck you" and then chortle to yourself in the form of LOL-stalking. Tackle things you find objectionable proactively.

5. Don't accuse other members of being racist, xenophobic, or any other -ism you can conjure up, without 100% objective proof. If they've just said something you found was too coarse or off the mark, that doesn't give you the right to dehumanize them.

6. Reach out to members who don't appear to being having the best time of it. Support people as best you can and help the collective mental health of the forum improve.

7. Post more in the on-topic sections. Post any old inane bable as long as it's relevant to the particular sub-forum. It might spark an interesting conversation.

8. Use smilies more. They indicate your mood and give a pointer on how to read someone's post, or how you read someone's post. A lot of the disagreements and frustration people have towards one another is very often crossed wires.

9. Don't assume you know somebody and their personality just because you've interacted with them online for a number of years. People change, and change is gradual.

10. Don't be a vagina. Teased or otherwise. Exchange for don't be a dick rule if that makes you more comfortable.
    I think I may start a new "tFB Behaviours" guide with this in it.
    I agree. Very good points and well made. 

Steady on @WiresDreamDisasters - people might think you’re a sensible chap. 
  • :lol:

I've had a rough life. It's given me this sort of fake wisdom that I can happily get by with on the internet. Total ruddy mess in real life mind.

Although I did hang a solar wall light today - without drilling my arm off - so I'm pretty happy with that.

A mate on the forum messaged me today and said X has been doing X, it's starting to irritate me, this place is getting to me, might take a break.

I think a lot of people feel like that right now. Maybe it's the lockdown. Maybe it's the weather.

Maybe it's the intertia that sets in after being part of the same community and talking to the same people for 5+ years.

Bye!

BTW - I would happily be a mod. You'd have to do a purge of the admin areas of all of the "Drew's insane years" posts I'm sure, but I'd be happy to tackle spam and rule breaking. I've run a company forum for a while know, so I have priors.
    Mate, it would take us years to clear the admin area out of all the shit about you...

:D
    Get a better back-end with search and replace functions! :lol: 

Now that’s what got BCD removed in the first place...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :lol:

I've had a rough life. It's given me this sort of fake wisdom that I can happily get by with on the internet. Total ruddy mess in real life mind.

Although I did hang a solar wall light today - without drilling my arm off - so I'm pretty happy with that.

A mate on the forum messaged me today and said X has been doing X, it's starting to irritate me, this place is getting to me, might take a break.

I think a lot of people feel like that right now. Maybe it's the lockdown. Maybe it's the weather.

Maybe it's the intertia that sets in after being part of the same community and talking to the same people for 5+ years.
    It’s probably a combination of all of the above..
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    octatonic said:
    What we need are rockers.
    What we need is actual guitarists, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • With actual guitars!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Genuine question - would having more mods help?
    More mods with opinions would probably just slow things up more.
    It’s true that a lot of day-to-day moderator activity is in the Classifieds, but it doesn’t take much effort. At least once a day I have to merge threads and/or ask people to replace something they’ve deleted. It’s all done with standard text PMs, so takes very little time. Having one person doing it and having standard text means that, despite @Emp_Fab’s protestations to the contrary, the moderation is completely consistent.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonic said:
    What we need are rockers.
    What we need is actual guitarists, 
    With actual guitars!
    Myth

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649
    edited August 2020
    And yet, since you stopped being a mod, you've repeatedly tried to test the patience of the moderation team, ignored clear requests to cease certain types of behaviour, and still been the beneficiary of quite a bit of leeway given because you seemed to be having a tough time.

That's why we do it that way. Because we realise that people can have shitty times in their lives and should be helped as much as is possible. That's what "community" is about, and I'm intensely confused as to why so many here fail to get it.

Take this latest escapade. You deliberately created that thread to illustrate the point that you didn't think the original thread should be there. You even said you were going to do it in that thread. The original thread was a genuine question - the issue of "good taste" notwithstanding - but yours was a deliberate move, and it was standing on the back of weeks of needling the modmin team about inconsistency despite you knowing full damn well all of the above, yet feigning ignorance to play to the gallery.

If we'd decided to give you what you wanted - a strict, no-exceptions approach to moderation - I can think of at least three occasions when you'd have been permanently banned, no questions asked.

Yes, this approach takes more time and patience to deal with. All we ask from people is that they work with us rather than against us, in return for us taking personal circumstances into account and applying a bit of humanity.

Folk who don't? That's what rule #1 is about.
    I don't deliberately try to test the patience of the moderation team.  I genuinely don't.  The difficulties come from the vagueness of the system, in my opinion...  vagueness that has been mentioned by more than one poster.  If you believe people should be helped - and I believe you do - then reopen BCD.  I think you've made your point now and everyone's sat up and taken notice - me included.

Regarding my thread - I've already apologised for that at least twice.  I was very drunk and I thought it was funny.  It wasn't done with malice.  If the bomb went off every time someone drunk-posted something idiotic, this place would be like the Somme!  In all likelihood, I would have deleted it myself once the wine, beer & brandy had worn off - though that's no excuse for posting it in the first place.

Also, with all due respect, it's not really valid to say that if different rules were in place, I'd have been banned several times by now.  People naturally behave within fixed boundaries - e.g. I know my missus doesn't like me using certain swear words, so I don't use them around her.  If you have fuzzy boundaries and fuzzy interpretations of them, then people wandering over them is inevitable.  If you're thinking at this point 'yeah, but you are doing it on purpose to piss me off' - I'm not.  Really.

On a personal level, I'm possibly on the spectrum a bit....  I'm hyper-anal when it comes to language and logic (or so I believe myself to be).  I like rules.  I like to know precisely what they are and vagueness irritates me intensely.  If the missus asks me something and it could have half a dozen logical meanings, I often fire it back to her with a request to be more specific - even though some of the time I already know what she's referring to.  I'm slowly realising what a pain I must be to live with.  I'm also sorry to you...  I love this place and I know I've been a pain in the arse lately, but please reconsider reinstating BCD. 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • I already miss Shit That Boils Your Piss
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    How about we accept the decision and move on?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 349
    Hattigol said:
    How about we accept the decision and move on?
    I agree with this and completely support the mods who do a great job in my view.

It’s a shame it’s gone completely because as others have said, it was very helpful and supportive for those suffering from personal issues etc., plus also there were a lot of genuinely funny threads and posts in there.

Its very clear now that if those sort of topics crop up elsewhere its an immediate ban and deletion so if you’re daft enough or so desperate to seek attention, you will be gone forever and you will only have yourself to blame.

Then maybe after a period something similar will be possible but without the dicks.

So yeah, move on.
    I love my brick
  • I'm all for letting the dust settle and maybe review options after a month or so.

Maybe those members that feel the need to get attention can practise their antics on other forums.  
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Emp_Fab said:
    And yet, since you stopped being a mod, you've repeatedly tried to test the patience of the moderation team, ignored clear requests to cease certain types of behaviour, and still been the beneficiary of quite a bit of leeway given because you seemed to be having a tough time.

That's why we do it that way. Because we realise that people can have shitty times in their lives and should be helped as much as is possible. That's what "community" is about, and I'm intensely confused as to why so many here fail to get it.

Take this latest escapade. You deliberately created that thread to illustrate the point that you didn't think the original thread should be there. You even said you were going to do it in that thread. The original thread was a genuine question - the issue of "good taste" notwithstanding - but yours was a deliberate move, and it was standing on the back of weeks of needling the modmin team about inconsistency despite you knowing full damn well all of the above, yet feigning ignorance to play to the gallery.

If we'd decided to give you what you wanted - a strict, no-exceptions approach to moderation - I can think of at least three occasions when you'd have been permanently banned, no questions asked.

Yes, this approach takes more time and patience to deal with. All we ask from people is that they work with us rather than against us, in return for us taking personal circumstances into account and applying a bit of humanity.

I don't deliberately try to test the patience of the moderation team.  I genuinely don't.  The difficulties come from the vagueness of the system, in my opinion...  vagueness that has been mentioned by more than one poster.  If you believe people should be helped - and I believe you do - then reopen BCD.  I think you've made your point now and everyone's sat up and taken notice - me included.

Regarding my thread - I've already apologised for that at least twice.  I was very drunk and I thought it was funny.  It wasn't done with malice.  If the bomb went off every time someone drunk-posted something idiotic, this place would be like the Somme!  In all likelihood, I would have deleted it myself once the wine, beer & brandy had worn off - though that's no excuse for posting it in the first place.

Also, with all due respect, it's not really valid to say that if different rules were in place, I'd have been banned several times by now.  People naturally behave within fixed boundaries - e.g. I know my missus doesn't like me using certain swear words, so I don't use them around her.  If you have fuzzy boundaries and fuzzy interpretations of them, then people wandering over them is inevitable.  If you're thinking at this point 'yeah, but you are doing it on purpose to piss me off' - I'm not.  Really.

On a personal level, I'm possibly on the spectrum a bit....  I'm hyper-anal when it comes to language and logic (or so I believe myself to be).  I like rules.  I like to know precisely what they are and vagueness irritates me intensely.  If the missus asks me something and it could have half a dozen logical meanings, I often fire it back to her with a request to be more specific - even though some of the time I already know what she's referring to.  I'm slowly realising what a pain I must be to live with.  I'm also sorry to you...  I love this place and I know I've been a pain in the arse lately, but please reconsider reinstating BCD. 

By your own admission some of the posts that got us here were made whilst you were "very drunk".  Having had rather more experience of dealing with people under the influence of drink and drugs than I would have wished I have found their ability and willingness to obey rules of any sort to be less than ideal irrespective of the clarity or otherwise of the rules in question.  On that basis I would have reason to doubt the suggestion that more clearly defined boundaries would guarantee better compliance.  It is also my experience that contrition for behaviour under the influence generally lasts until the next time the individual is under the influence.

Having watched what was going on in BCD for several months the only surprising thing to me was that the mods didn't clamp down on it sooner.  FWIW I think they've done the right thing.  Abuse it then you'll lose it.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7034
    I'm all for letting the dust settle and maybe review options after a month or so.

Maybe those members that feel the need to get attention can practise their antics on other forums.  
    I wonder if removing the “Frets Weekly” chart (which seems to have no value for most people), will reduce the crap that the attention seeking “fret whores” post. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Emp_Fab said:

Tbh where the moderation has failed here is that you should have been given an instant and permanent ban imo!...

reading this thread is exactly like standing in front on my five year old listening to him justify his reasons for doing xyz... and then listening to his plea that “I’ll be good if you let me”... 

now here’s the thing, he’s five and that sort of behaviour and reasoning is to be expected!!!!

its not the behaviour I’d expect from supposed grown ups!...

You fucked up, you ruined it for everyone, move on and count yourself lucky you didn’t get a ban... seeing as you love this place so much, stop trying to tear it down!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I wasn't privy to the goings on in BCD as I said before, but I don't think Emp is the sort of person to post stuff in order to trash the place. I think he's genuine when he says he posted something he found funny in the moment. No need to make this thing any bigger than it is IMHO.

Everyone be cool.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    mrkb said:
    I'm all for letting the dust settle and maybe review options after a month or so.

I wonder if removing the “Frets Weekly” chart (which seems to have no value for most people), will reduce the crap that the attention seeking “fret whores” post. 
    please don't take my lols, I love my lols I do
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom