CONGRATULATIONS! BCD is now gone.

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Emp_Fab said:
    Clearly the argument about behaviour from bcd spilling into the main forum is invalid as it would have caused a major issue before now.  I fear that, as has already been mentioned, shutting down bcd is just going to move the conversations into off-topic, presenting the mods with an even bigger headache.  
    You didn’t read the post did you?

It already has caused a major problem when a BCD argument spilt over into the classifieds and resulted in multiple coolerings and post edits and a lot of our time wasted. 

You can fear all you like - the fact remains that no matter how many warnings go out nothing changes in some members behaviour. So we took a subforum away. If there’s a knock on effect, we will deal with that - and deal with it a lot more severely than before. @digitalscream has already said what will happen - anyone creating a thread that would have got moved to BCD for stupidity or crassness etc (rather than because of a personal issue) gets a permanent ban.

Has everyone read that and understood? A permanent ban. 

I’m pretty sure if it spills out then it’ll be a very short lived spill. 

I predict the headache will be brief, followed by much relief from a banhammer pill. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Jimbro66 said:
    Fully understand and support the mods decision on BCD.

The only thing I will say is some of the best rants ever were in the ‘Shit That Boils Your Piss’ section, and I’m saddened to think that not only my own efforts, but also those of some of what I consider to be the finest whingers and moaners on the planet will no longer be available for all to enjoy.

I’m not sure that was ever achieved. I saw the posts in that thread, including my own occasional whinges, as Old Man Shouts At Clouds. I can’t imagine anyone else found them enjoyable. No, we’ll just have to go back to whingeing to the missus -  who also takes no notice at all. 
    It’s clear I’m not alone due to the popularity of STBYP thread, due to the number of posts in it. I’m not on a one-man mission to reinstate it, but it did provide a relief valve, even if it was shouting at clouds, and a good few laughs with some high quality, and damned intelligent rants from time to time.

Arguably, one of the finest threads courtesy of @Emp_Fab and if STBYP were a physical object, it would be a statue somewhere in South Wales.
    Ironic. Your favourite thread, started by the member who caused the thread to disappear for good..

Emp_Fab said:
    Clearly the argument about behaviour from bcd spilling into the main forum is invalid as it would have caused a major issue before now.  I fear that, as has already been mentioned, shutting down bcd is just going to move the conversations into off-topic, presenting the mods with an even bigger headache.  
    @Roland , do you ever feel that people can not understand what you have written?
    Or bother to read it...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Roland , do you ever feel that people can not understand what you have written?
    Sometimes it’s lack of awareness, sometimes it’s lack of willingness, and sometimes they will treat it as an opportunity to provoke. Care to toss a three sided coin?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Sometimes it’s lack of awareness, sometimes it’s lack of willingness, and sometimes they will treat it as an opportunity to provoke. Care to toss a three sided coin?
    Indeed, some members do insist on acting like a thrup’ny bit...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Emp_Fab said:
    Or you could, you know, try not posting threads about felching in the first place.  ;)

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24649

Jimbro66 said:

The only thing I will say is some of the best rants ever were in the ‘Shit That Boils Your Piss’ section, and I’m saddened to think that not only my own efforts, but also those of some of what I consider to be the finest whingers and moaners on the planet will no longer be available for all to enjoy.

I’m not sure that was ever achieved. I saw the posts in that thread, including my own occasional whinges, as Old Man Shouts At Clouds. I can’t imagine anyone else found them enjoyable. No, we’ll just have to go back to whingeing to the missus -  who also takes no notice at all. 
    It’s clear I’m not alone due to the popularity of STBYP thread, due to the number of posts in it. I’m not on a one-man mission to reinstate it, but it did provide a relief valve, even if it was shouting at clouds, and a good few laughs with some high quality, and damned intelligent rants from time to time.

Arguably, one of the finest threads courtesy of @Emp_Fab and if STBYP were a physical object, it would be a statue somewhere in South Wales.
    Ironic. Your favourite thread, started by the member who caused the thread to disappear for good..
    For the umpteenth time, it wasn't my thread!!  I have stated several times that the thread was started by someone else on MR.  I merely carried it over from there.  I had never heard the expression "boils your piss" before that thread appeared on MR.

Handsome_Chris said:
    Or bother to read it...
    I know the feeling.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:

Jimbro66 said:

For the umpteenth time, it wasn't my thread!!  I have stated several times that the thread was started by someone else on MR.  I merely carried it over from there.  I had never heard the expression "boils your piss" before that thread appeared on MR.

Handsome_Chris said:
    Or bother to read it...
    I know the feeling.
    I’m really not sure you do...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27702
    FWIW the boiled piss thread was mine on MR, and Emp was the lucky chump who imported it here and got all those lovely notifications.

I can only apologise for any part in all this that might be traceable to that original thread!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Six pages in, and plenty of comments about how it’s a shame, how we should have a forum that can’t be seen on google, how we should have a forum with no moderation, how the changes will mean an increased mod workload, etc etc etc

But hardly any comments on how the membership collectively could address the issue that caused this in the first place. 

Therein lies the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bridgehouse said:
    I'm really not sure you do...
    Trust me.  If there's a member on this forum who gets frustrated as frequently as I do because they've been misunderstood, I'd love to meet them.

Six pages in, and plenty of comments about how it’s a shame, how we should have a forum that can’t be seen on google, how we should have a forum with no moderation, how the changes will mean an increased mod workload, etc etc etc

But hardly any comments on how the membership collectively could address the issue that caused this in the first place. 

That's like asking the general public to collectively behave so the police don't need to exist!

Attempting to lightly moderate the Wild West is where the problem lies - in my opinion. :smile: 

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    How about... if you want to discuss topics not related to guitar... you do it on a non guitar related forum?...

just a thought...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

That's like asking the general public to collectively behave so the police don't need to exist!

Attempting to lightly moderate the Wild West is where the problem lies - in my opinion. :smile: 

Are you suggesting a more iron-rod style of moderation?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5440

Well, one of the forum rules precludes us from commenting "FFS, stop being a cunt" which is a frequent thought about some of the BCD stuff ;)

(And of course would just degenerate into a food fight anyway).

The only solution I can think of that might work and doesn't rely on unicorns and rainbows is to:

- provide some guidance as to what won't be tolerated in BCD2

- expand the mod team and have dedicated mods for specific areas of the board to spread the load, acting as demi-gods

- treat the corrent mods as overall admins who are less involved day to day but wade in if things go above demi-god pay grade

That all needs more bodies and more structure behind the scenes, and probably more iron fist than velvet glove for a bit, but is a structure that has served other communities I know of well. Whether it's worth that aggro and culture change for what you get back, I don't know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    poopot said:
    How about... if you want to discuss topics not related to guitar... you do it on a non guitar related forum?...

just a thought...

It’s not just a guitar forum though is it. It’s a community of people with a shared interest, and sometimes we want to talk about non guitar subjects.

if it was strictly only on topic discussions it would be a much poorer experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    poopot said:

just a thought...

It’s not just a guitar forum though is it. It’s a community of people with a shared interest, and sometimes we want to talk about non guitar subjects.

if it was strictly only on topic discussions it would be a much poorer experience. 
    Fair point...

we have off topic for that...

But, posts about what you do with your partner after imaginarily doing them up the bottle is not really a topic for anywhere on this site is it?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    poopot said:
    poopot said:

just a thought...

Fair point...

we have off topic for that...

But, posts about what you do with your partner after imaginarily doing them up the bottle is not really a topic for anywhere on this site is it?
    No, but IMO the ‘nuke it from orbit’ approach to a foolish (possibly drunken) lack of judgement is a bit extreme. 

But it’s not my site or my rules so it is what it is. 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    edited August 2020

I've said this before, but whilst I strongly believe the "common sense" approach to moderation that has been tried so far is to the forum's credit its also the reason why the mods here are fed up - if the acceptable behaviour is vaguely defined then people will always cross lines and then argue about it. Unfortunately, what "don't be a dick" means is completely different from one person to the next and this forum consists of several thousand members of the public: even with the best of intentions we are never going to agree on what being a dick means and let's face it on the internet those with the worst of intentions will always appear. So people behave in a way that they think meets the "don't be a dick" rule only to be told by someone else that they've violated it. Or people see behaviour from others which they think is dickish which then goes unpunished. Both of these create friction. 

The current approach also led to the weird situation a few weeks ago where several racist posts got removed (with no further punishment handed out) and the mods said "everyone gets a second chance" (fair enough I suppose) and then a few days later a different mod is threatening to ban people if they don't use the search function before posting (erm...).

I really like this forum, I have a lot of respect and gratitude for lee and the guys who put so much effort into running it. So I don't want this post to come across as criticism - it's their forum and they can do what they want - but if it were me the rules would be a lot less open to interpretation. It may not be what the mods want to do but I think ultimately it would make their life a lot easier. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited August 2020
    FWIW the boiled piss thread was mine on MR, and Emp was the lucky chump who imported it here and got all those lovely notifications.

I can only apologise for any part in all this that might be traceable to that original thread!!

Whenever I think of the evil STBYP thread I always think of its antithesis - the beautiful, pure, halo-basked smiley happy thread of Clare-Bear. 

The eternal battle between the two threads - the seductive, false promise of boiled piss pitted against the simple, naked purity of smiley happy puts me in mind of Dio’s Philadelphia ‘86 performance of Heaven and Hell, that divine light shining down on RJD - “then a little white shape looked down on me; he said, heaven is where you ought to be; come with me, cause I know just what to do” but I said “Go away! I’ll stay right here - with you and you and you - down in Hellllllll!” and you despair in the knowledge he’s destined to writhe and scream in the scorching agony of the hellfire that is STBYP. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.