thinking About getting guitar wall hangers - are they bad for guitars ?!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
I’ve been having a clear out and trying trying to get organised today . 
I haven’t got much room for stuff ,and usually 1 guitar is out and the others in cases in a cupboard. 
I’d thought If I had wall hangers I would probably play the guitars more as they’d be out of their cases, and they might even be less likely to get dinged as they’re off the floor. 
I had wondered if hanging guitars by their headstock might be bad for them in some way. 
Am I overthinking?!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    The general consensus is that its not a problem. 

1. Guitar stores almost exclusively hang guitars by the necks. Custom shop Gibsons included. 

2. The string tension itself puts more tension on the neck than the weight of the guitar body does when hung by the neck. 

Prs have just released a hanger than is floor mounted but holds the guitar at the neck. They wouldnt if it was a problem. 

I would just make sure the walls are solid and you use the right bits and attachments for whatever wall you got, and if you have nitro ones make sure the hangers you choose are nitro safe. 

Other than that the only real risk is banging the back of the body or headstock when putting the guitar on. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited August 2020
    skunkwerx said:

Other than that the only real risk is banging the back of the body or headstock when putting the guitar on. 

or someone brushing past it and knocking it of the wall. I guess it depends on how many guitars you have and if you have the wall space for them. I still think a rack is the best option for multiple guitars
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited August 2020
    phil_b said:
    skunkwerx said:

or someone brushing past it and knocking it of the wall. I guess it depends on how many guitars you have and if you have the wall space for them. I still think a rack is the best option for multiple guitars

A decent designed hanger would be difficult to knock the guitar out of, even if it hasnt got a lock or strap on it, you would need to push the guitar up and away from the wall at the same time for it to fall, brushing past the body of the guitar would move the headstock end very little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    The only real risk is from the hanger not being attached to the wall properly.

If the hanger holds the guitar close to the wall then even bumping it against the wall - assuming it's not covered with rough render or something - is very unlikely to do any harm, it will be wallpaper touching the back of it at a nearly flat angle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    Graviteee...Is working against meee...Etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't hang them anywhere that gets direct sunlight. Make sure you dust them.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Not caused any problems for me.
    I bin the screws that come with them and use oversize screws for a very secure fixing. I can put my weight on them.
    I weigh considerably more than even the heaviest Les Paul.
  • Sassafras said:
    Not caused any problems for me.
    I bin the screws that come with them and use oversize screws for a very secure fixing. I can put my weight on them.
    I weigh considerably more than even the heaviest Les Paul.
    Very much this, especially with the cheaper ones from Amazon (Rockjam I think?) ~ the screws they come with would barely go a 2 thirds of the way into the wall plug, which is too short anyway ... so I use longer screws & plugs.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    I have 6 of the Konig & Meyer ones, put them up 11 years ago properly set into a masonry wall, and they haven't moved a millimetre. 

Also they haven't damaged any of my nitro-finished guitars.

• No issues here.  Nearly had a disaster though after one of my Hercules hangers started coming away from the wall!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    According to my calculations, the scale length of a Les Paul would increase to 25.5" if hung for 13.8 billion years.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    There really is no issue at all, so long as they are installed correctly. If in any doubt, get a pro to hang them
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20586
     If in any doubt, get a pro to hang them
    Don't think his other half might be happy about that...?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20586
    I’ve been having a clear out and trying trying to get organised today . 
    I haven’t got much room for stuff ,and usually 1 guitar is out and the others in cases in a cupboard. 
    I’d thought If I had wall hangers I would probably play the guitars more as they’d be out of their cases, and they might even be less likely to get dinged as they’re off the floor. 
    I had wondered if hanging guitars by their headstock might be bad for them in some way. 
    Am I overthinking?!!
    @riffpowers ;  Hmmm, just noticed that your sig says you are in Durham.
    If that is the Durham in the North East UK, then I have an unused single Hercules swivel wall hanger that you can have for free, but a donation to the Fretboard would be appreciated.
    Like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-GSP38WB-Mountable-Guitar-Hanger/dp/B0009K9MUA
    Any use?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    As long as it is a decent hanger then no issues - I have seen damage around the top nut/head stock area, with a soft finish and a poor hanger that marks the guitar - Generally they have been a metal hanger with crap rubber/plastic cover - Hercules for me every time and I've used them in the shop for many years with no issues
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    I have nine guitars on hangers. I have replaced most of the cheap ones with Hercules which are great. Use decent wall fixings as others have mentioned especially if you have plasterboard walls. If so try to screw into the wooden battens there are devices which detect them.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    My walls have thick plaster and when I’ve drilled holes for pictures etc the drill goes through effortlessly and rarely gets into masonry. Rawlplugs don’t feel that secre to me - any tips for attaching hangers to walls like this?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My walls have thick plaster and when I’ve drilled holes for pictures etc the drill goes through effortlessly and rarely gets into masonry. Rawlplugs don’t feel that secre to me - any tips for attaching hangers to walls like this?

Long tapcon screws, no wall plugs needed. Drill hole (using tapcon bit of correct size) screw in screw.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Use much longer screws, drill right through into the masonry and make sure the rawlplugs are fully down at the bottom of the hole. I used 3” screws into 2” rawlplugs with about 3/8” of hanger and 5/8” of plaster, so I could hang off them myself...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Seems like good advice - thanks both. My room has turned to be much smaller than it appeared when decorating, so I will have to hang up at least a couple of guitars.