next build - DC Special-ish

What's Hot

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Excellent - how did you get the shoulders to match?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    By eye tbh.      Pretty near.    Still a little but of tearout because i didnt clamp it sufficiently but that cleaned up easily with a sharp curved gouge 
    Hi Folks,  

after a bit of a long hiatus due to us all coming down with Covid-19 on Xmas Eve I'm now recovered and back onto finishing a couple of the 4 Double cut builds I'm doing.   One is nearing completion with just the neck glue-in ( and tweaking the break angle ) pick up routs and bridge position to do now. 

So on these I want to try using stains for the first time.  These are all quite plain maple caps ( which I like on old LPs very much ) - but I am aware that I need to be careful to go for a stained finish that wont look muddy on this lightly figured wood grain. 

Ideally I want a honey/tobacco subtle burst effect - rather like the faded or "unbursts" that some of the LPs have. 

I was planning on using brown and yellow stains to achieve this.  Then using several clearcoats of nitro on top.

Any tips ?

here are a couple of shots of the two bodies and the maple/mahogany neck for one of them.  I need to think about the right stains for the largely maple neck to complement a honey/tobacco finish.  

All advice most welcome. 

cheers all. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Looking good, and good you're back safely from the C19... Like the spade idea there.
    Cheers Bill.  

I bought some Crimson stains to see how they do.   We'll see.

Having made good progress on these I'm now on the look out for some good book-matched maple caps. So many suppliers seem to be offering c. 6mm thick stuff rather than 1/2" etc.  

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    If you’re doing Les Paul or PRS caps you need it to be 20mm minimum. David Dyke or Timberline will have the caps you need.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Thanks Graham. I think i go with David Dyke based on his reputation.   
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

This is a flame Maple cap I got from DD, I warn you they are not cheap, I think this particular one was £150. This cap is classed as AAA pin striped. He can supply different types of flame Maple, he has some beautiful tiger stripe in stock. If you talk to Andrew or Lewis they will photograph a few samples for you to choose from.

This is going to be a thin light weight LP standard.

Full thickness LP standard, bit on the heavy side.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Beautiful examples Graham.   
  • I hadn't realised how out of date I was with this, @PeteC !   Also with the covid stuff - glad you're through that OK...

Fully second the recommendation for DD for top quality tops (but yes...eye watering) and that double cut carve is splendid!  :)
    Quick update....

First of the two carved DC builds nearly finished ( at least build - wise ) 

Now waiting for stains and spraying when I get to the new house and workshop , which has been delayed a bit. 

Really pleased with the sound.  Was hoping for a classic PAF tone and certainly got it. 
    Alegree Old Timer 59 PAFs, Schaller Signum bridge, Gotoh lockable tuners and CTS / Swiitchcaft hardware.  
    Nut is a temporary Corian one while I make some more bone nuts.  Works OK tbh. 

Need to tidy up some abalone dust around the fret markers, but this should disappear when I oil the board. 

Now deciding what finish colours to do.   Seems harder to get plain grained maple right than highly figured stuff. 
    Plan on using some sealer and sanding back a bit before staining to minimise dullness whee it soaks in too much.  We'll see.....

Should be buying my spray kit as soon as the house move is done in a month or so , so will have a lot more options then. 

Any ideas on finishes very welcome! 

cheers all. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    PeteC said:
    Quick update....

First of the two carved DC builds nearly finished ( at least build - wise ) 

Now waiting for stains and spraying when I get to the new house and workshop , which has been delayed a bit. 

Really pleased with the sound.  Was hoping for a classic PAF tone and certainly got it. 
    Alegree Old Timer 59 PAFs, Schaller Signum bridge, Gotoh lockable tuners and CTS / Swiitchcaft hardware.  
    Nut is a temporary Corian one while I make some more bone nuts.  Works OK tbh. 

Need to tidy up some abalone dust around the fret markers, but this should disappear when I oil the board. 

Now deciding what finish colours to do.   Seems harder to get plain grained maple right than highly figured stuff. 
    Plan on using some sealer and sanding back a bit before staining to minimise dullness whee it soaks in too much.  We'll see.....

Should be buying my spray kit as soon as the house move is done in a month or so , so will have a lot more options then. 

Any ideas on finishes very welcome! 

cheers all. 

This is already  a beautiful looking guitar @PeteC , well done !
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    Blacktop.

Looks great 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1334
    That is looking really lovely!

Dark burst with natural back
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Looks great
  • Purple stain and oil the top, then just oil the sides and back.

Although, it looks pretty good as is so maybe just oil it.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    Its going to be a sprayed finish - probably nitro once i have all the kit.  
    Although id love a black top i really fancy a violin burst on this but dont know if thats complete folly on non-figured maple ?   The second build is well progressed and would make a good blacktop i reckon.  

I have a load of crimsons stains and various aniline dyes ready to use was wondering  whether i could achieve a stained burst and then overspray tinted topcoats ? 

A hand rubbed violin burst would be fun, even on plain maple. 

But seriously, black top.  It will show the definition you have on the carve best.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    PeteC said:
    ...  Plan on using some sealer and sanding back a bit before staining to minimise dullness whee it soaks in too much.  We'll see.....
    Can you test that first on spare wood? There a risk that sealer will result in patchy stain uptake, even when sanded evenly.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Yeah, if you are staining start with raw wood.     It may look dull during the process, but will liven up once sprayed with clear.

And if it goes wrong... Black top
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom