Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The madness of loving SGs...

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Before I was properly in to guitars and could only play to a basic level (and had only ever played a couple of guitars) I remember thinking the Tele and the SG were the best looking guitars with the SG being the best looking overall.

But since getting in to guitars and to this day I still think Teles are beautiful but for some reason think SGs are hideous.

Wonder what caused such a radical change in my opinion.

When I loved the look of them I hadn't played one and by the time I had played one I'd already done a 180 on its looks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25100
    TTBZ said:
    @Philly_Q yep I like that trans TV yellow! The SG-X in seafoam/Caribbean blue is cool too.
    I've got an SG-X in Army Green (with a BK Riff Raff pickup), it was my favourite guitar for ages but it hasn't been out of the case (gigbag) for a very long time, I'm slightly ashamed to say.  I've often been tempted to get one of the Coral Pink, Corona Yellow or Caribbean Blue ones but I've been sensible about it....
  • I love my SG, it plays and sounds awesome.  It's a keeper. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 466
    edited September 2020
    Jota said:
    My main (only) gigging guitar for over 20 years was a heavily modified '63 SG Junior. Converted to twin humbuckers. Wonderful guitar, sadly retired due to one too many headstock accidents. The only vintage guitar I've owned was an all original '69 standard. It was the worst playing, worst sounding guitar I've owned. A friend bought a new standard back from the US in the mid 90's that was an amazing sounding guitar. I've played way more bad SG's than good ones but a good one is a wonderful thing.

Care to share some pics of the 63?
    I don't have a mobile so can't do pics. Here's a clip of it live but you can't see it too well. The only thing remaining from '63 is the wood - everything else has been replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXUka4V1GLc

Sounds great.
    I love the look of those specials converted to standard like this one:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nay to Bat Wing Pick Guards. Nay, Nay and Thrice, Nay!

:3 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
  • JotaJota Frets: 466

• cm01cm01 Frets: 548
    Love my precision guitar kit SG .. perfect spec for me - baseball neck, wrapover bridge, nice and light with no neck dive 

• Well if we're doing pics, here's mine (again)

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited September 2020
    Nay to Bat Wing Pick Guards. Nay, Nay and Thrice, Nay!

I agree, the smaller guard looks way nicer to me plus the bridge pickup is aligned properly with the strings (probably makes no difference but looks nicer). I ended up with a batwing one as it was the only one I played in the shop which didn't sound like a dead plank, and held its tune well. 

Re the neck heavy thing, look at how Brent Hinds and Tim Sult set their SGs on a strap. It makes for a really comfy playing position and a lot of other guitars feel stretched out now I'm used to that!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    photek said:
    SGs are my spirit guitar, unfortunately I didn’t find out until I had been playing strat’s and Les Pauls for 20 years and now I can’t bloody play SGs stood up without being a tone out due to the neck position :anguished: 
    I do that when changing from LP to 355, my brain seems to count the fret markers from the neck join down.

There's definitely another SG in my future. I have a modded faded SG which became my go to for festivals, it has been my most gigged guitar over the past few years. Hasn't really been out the case this year with covid

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nay to Bat Wing Pick Guards. Nay, Nay and Thrice, Nay!

:3 
    Wis, Wis and thrice Wis.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Always loved the look of the brown fadeds for some reason - nicely pared back (and good value too).

But the one I would really love to get my hands back on is the SG Classic (batwing guard, gloss nitro with p90s, dots but binding, etc). Still kick myself for selling that one.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I love SGs too. Always wanted a Gibson back in my younger days but couldn't afford one.

I did however end up 15 years ago getting a nice (and cheap!) mid-90's Epiphone Korina model which is absolutely amazing - especially since replacing the pickups. It has the most ridiculously low action of any guitar I've ever played, balances well and sounds amazing. So these days I still look at Gibbos and think 'Mmm...' but wonder just what benefits I'd get from one above and beyond what the Epi has to offer - other than the name on the headstock.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Oh my experience with SGs is that there's usually a wolf tone around the 12th on the D or G. You may not know about it until you go looking for it. I think it's inherent in the design
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I wouldn’t be without my SG. I find Les Pauls to be too thick and plummy for what I do (in general). The SG sound is sweeter, crisper and more ‘modern’.

Whilst the rest of the world thinks Angus when seeing one, I always think of Robbie Kreiger and the best era of the Beatles. 

Gibson’s best design? It is in my opinion...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    I recently bought my friends 1970 SG Standard and had new frets fitted as the original ones were pretty much gone. Its become a great player and those T-Top pickups are simply sublime. Bright and aggressive but plenty of roundness too. The neck on this particular era of SG’s is very narrow at the nut but I tend to forget that rather quickly once I’ve been playing a bit.

As mentioned before, SG’s truly shine in a band situation, cutting through like no other. I prefer Les Pauls but for some reason they have always been hit or miss in a band... the SG always delivers.
  • My first guitar was an Epi G400 - in all honesty it wasn’t a very good guitar. 

Since then numerous SGs have passed through my hands.

An early 90s Cherry standard with an ebony board. Ive never seen another...

2 Pete Townsend sig specials (kept 1)

A humbucker special - really fucked black finish that I stripped and parted out. It’s long gone.

1979 standard - best playing one I’ve had. Major neck break, refret, refinish, all new electronics. Sold.

SG classic - kicking around in the house somewhere bereft of a few parts.

That’s the ones I can think of!

When I think SG I think Weller, 68 big guard and vibrola. I’d love one.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 584
    SG's are simply wonderful guitars they are lightweight, responsive and above all fun  :-) Ive always enjoyed playing SG's 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.