Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The madness of loving SGs...

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 577
    I have always loved SG's but never owned one. I even went shopping for one about 12years ago but came away with an Epi Les Paul. As others have mentioned I have gas for one again.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    Here are my 3, a 2005 CS SG/LP Custom, @WezV John Birch style neck thru SG and a mid 2000's SG Standard

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Exorcist said:
    TTBZ said:
    Love this! P90s are such a good match for an SG if the Mississippi Queen in mine is anything to go by. Keep thinking I should get a bridge one but not sure if it'll do the heavier stuff I play as well as a humbucker. But it does sound very big and "broad" next to the compressed bridge pickup, I think P90s help open an SG up and be less of a plank.
    I have a missisipi queen bridge in another similar guitar (not an sg) - and I wasn't hugely fond of it until I used it tuned down to C through Laney AOR 100 and it was pretty awesome, it kept a really tight edge and sounded huge. Not sure what you mean by heavier stuff, but if you tune down I would definitely give it a go.

Oh and thanks man, I agree they totally open up an SG.
    My SG is in D standard/drop C at the minute. My band is a bit of a mix of various grunge and stoner rock/metal influences (i seem to rip off either Mastodon, Down or AIC riffs) so sounds like it'll probably work alright. I just like it to stay tight on the chug and riffs rather than loose and sloppy. 
    To be honest, that sounds perfect then, if you want to keep it low and tight - same kinda music I was using it for. It sounded a bit harsh in E standard at home, but cranked through a heavy rig down to C and it really came alive. Not what it was intended for, but it really shone. I may be biased as I love P90's in that setting, if I wasn't using that I was using an LP Junior. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10589
    I've got an SG Modern and it's a fantastic guitar.

No neck dive either. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    edited September 2020
    Exorcist said:
    TTBZ said:
    Exorcist said:
    TTBZ said:
    Love this! P90s are such a good match for an SG if the Mississippi Queen in mine is anything to go by. Keep thinking I should get a bridge one but not sure if it'll do the heavier stuff I play as well as a humbucker. But it does sound very big and "broad" next to the compressed bridge pickup, I think P90s help open an SG up and be less of a plank.
    I have a missisipi queen bridge in another similar guitar (not an sg) - and I wasn't hugely fond of it until I used it tuned down to C through Laney AOR 100 and it was pretty awesome, it kept a really tight edge and sounded huge. Not sure what you mean by heavier stuff, but if you tune down I would definitely give it a go.

Oh and thanks man, I agree they totally open up an SG.
    My SG is in D standard/drop C at the minute. My band is a bit of a mix of various grunge and stoner rock/metal influences (i seem to rip off either Mastodon, Down or AIC riffs) so sounds like it'll probably work alright. I just like it to stay tight on the chug and riffs rather than loose and sloppy. 
    To be honest, that sounds perfect then, if you want to keep it low and tight - same kinda music I was using it for. It sounded a bit harsh in E standard at home, but cranked through a heavy rig down to C and it really came alive. Not what it was intended for, but it really shone. I may be biased as I love P90's in that setting, if I wasn't using that I was using an LP Junior. 
    I'm using an LP for a downtuning stoner sort of sound but SGs have more mids so I'm thinking they might be better overall. I put 300k pots in my LP to get rid of some of the snap and bring the mids out a bit more, it works well but you do miss a bit of sparkle clean. Really splitting hairs at this point though lol
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited September 2020
    Here's mine, 2016 Standard P90s
    https://i.imgur.com/t66LCwa.jpg
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.