PSA - Coda Music emails hacked?

What's Hot
pjfpjf Frets: 347
Just received a very suspicious email from some random address containing a zip attachment (which I won't be opening). A screenshot is below.

As you can see, it looks at first glance like a reply to a (genuine) email I sent Coda in December 2019 - which begins "Hi John". But it's not a reply at all, my email has just been copied into theirs.

I'll get in touch with Coda tomorrow morning but in case anyone else has been affected, please be careful...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had 10 fake Coda emails come through to my junk folder yesterday. Every single one was the same loyalty points email just copied with a link that I wasn't going to check. 
    So yeah, something is definitely up. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    I had 10 fake Coda emails come through to my junk folder yesterday. Every single one was the same loyalty points email just copied with a link that I wasn't going to check. 
    So yeah, something is definitely up. 
    Ditto, on Sunday. 
  • Yeah same here. Looks like everyone who's ever emailed them is getting these emails.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Same. I deleted it and blocked the sender.
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Same. I deleted it and blocked the sender.
    Ditto
  • Sorry about this, our web guy is looking into it and will get it stopped ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DougCoda said:
    Sorry about this, our web guy is looking into it and will get it stopped ..
    If it’s any help, the cause of this may not be the server, but one your computers used to access your incoming emails.

This happened in my workplace years ago when a member of staff installed some unauthorised software which contained a Trojan. Even worse, some person then reported our email server to Spamhaus and it took us a few days to get off the blacklists.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8356
    DougCoda said:
    Sorry about this, our web guy is looking into it and will get it stopped ..
    Doug, I had an email offering me that Kauer Banshee for £250 which I have paid. I'll still get this, right?  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    Think the problem is ongoing. I just got several emails (sent at around 1am) saying my loyalty points are about to expire with an undoubtedly dodgy link to see more details. Also a nice note saying "send us a word if you need further helps".
  • Yep, I've had another five come through. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5032
    Ah, I’ve had that email this morning at 1.36am. I’m a fairly new customer but would have clicked on that if I wasn’t too lazy.Still, it’s reminded me about my points.

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited September 2020
    I got 10 of these emails overnight. What’s worrying is that they know my points balance... it’s accurate, other than the fake points they’re telling me are about to expire. 

Edit: nope, I actually got 12 - 2 went to my spam folder.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    To be honest, it would help me out if they’ve been hacked...

If the wife ever clicks my emails (invoices and deals) folder to Doug, I can now deny everything.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    @DougCoda I got one too

Harsh as it sounds, the email forms a binding offer and I've transferred the £12 for the R9.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    @DougCoda I got one too

Harsh as it sounds, the email forms a binding offer and I've transferred the £12 for the R9.
    In bitcoin to Prince ******* of [insert chosen state of choice]. He also wishes to advise you that the blessings of good luck have now been conferred upon you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    got 3 this morning
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    If this is indeed a data breach, jokes aside, it would probably be better if we knew what personal data they've got. I think retail breaches are ICO notifiable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    Didn’t get one this time. Pretty sure I changed my password after this thread started though.