Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender’s American Professional series discontinued?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I think the problem is that the American Professional isn't really anything.

I want the cheapest American Fender = American Performer
    I want a reissue = American Original
    I want a high performance Anderson / Suhr type thing = American Ultra

When do you want an American Professional?

It's not clear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475

When you're not a professional...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • StefB said:
    Whitecat said:
    I've just had that too - can't say as the prices are particularly appealing mind.

This is a price drop? How much were they! I bought my American Standard for £600 new, albeit that was over 20 years ago!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    As an owner of an American Pro I paid £1100 for...I have to say it's an overpriced range. Even £1100 was taking the piss a bit. 

I'd go Mexican or used American Standard. If I had £1500, I'd save to level up to something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    JezWynd said:
    stonevibe said:
    I wrote about his on Gearnews, and I asked Fender about it. The official statement was this
    So they've stopped the Startocaster? 

Thought the olive green was incredibly naff on launch. Of course now they've been discontinued I'm strangely drawn to it.
    There’s a very lovely looking M*A*S*H’ocaster for sale right here on this very forum. 
  • Am Std ended in 2016, I had an inkling that the 4 year mark might reveal another change. Couldn't say for definite as I don't work there.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited September 2020
    ICBM said:

When you're not a professional...
    How true. Professional always seemed an odd choice for a name. However I suppose it did indicate some kind progression from bedroom player, to someone performing the occasional gig, to someone a bit more serious. Also I guess Fender liked the alliteration of Player, Performer, and Professional.

(Strangely VAG motors just came to mind - their crossovers/SUVs are (Skoda) Kamiq, Karoq, and Kodiaq (Volkswagen) T-Roc, Tiguan, Touareg, and (Seat) Alhambra, Arona, Alteca.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I bought a new American Pro Strat last year. Paid a little bit more than @Greatape. It’s a lovely guitar. Most comfortable guitar to play that I have ever owned. Fantastic, very “stratty” sounds, fabulous neck and really well made.
      Is it as good or better than some of the others mentioned? Couldn’t say.  A lot of it’s pluses may well apply to Strats in general, but it spoke to me in the shop, and 18 months on I’m still playing it most days.  
    I would have gone secondhand for value, but at that time there were very few on the market....still not that many now. Maybe that says something as well ( other than not many sold new in the first place of course ;))
  • Oh, that Dark Night and that Surf Green. This is no good for anyone who is trying not to GAS.
  • I’ve completely lost track of how many ranges there are in fender. There should be 4 maybe 5?

American standard - pretty much as described above I’d say. A bog standard but modern ish guitar for a fair price. Good but built to a price point

vintage reissues - nuff said

Upgraded series - the deluxe or ultras. Locking tuners, upgraded pickups, fancy colours

Actually that’s 3. Can’t see what else they need. The fsr, pawnshop, alternate reality stuff fills a good gap in the catalogue. 

Some stuff like the California series a few years back may be cool too. That was bodies and necks from America assembled in Mexico (or the other way round?). 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    edited September 2020
    Some stuff like the California series a few years back may be cool too. That was bodies and necks from America assembled in Mexico (or the other way round?). 

Wikipedia says made in the USA, painted in Mexico then assembled back in the USA.  But they had the MIM-style truss rod access, so maybe the parts were actually made in Mexico... 

I suppose they were the precursors of the Highway One series, which became... something else I can't remember (maybe), then the American Special series, and is now the American Performer series.  But the line between the bottom of the USA range and the top of the Mexico range seems quite blurry.
  • Philly_Q said:
     But the line between the bottom of the USA range and the top of the Mexico range seems quite blurry.
    I would have thought that’s exactly what fender want. They want to be able to charge a £1000 + for a Mexican guitar and want the guitar buying public to think that the guitars made there are as good or no different to the American ones. 
    It wouldn’t surprise me if the mex guitars are more profitable for them and if the ultimate goal is ceasing production in USA at some point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d rather have a Vintera. The specs are better and I’m not Donald Trump so happy for Mexican people to make my guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    stonevibe said:
    I wrote about his on Gearnews, and I asked Fender about it. The official statement was this
    So no information at all really?

Could have just said that without fishing for clicks to your website.
  • Perhaps Fender have decided to blindly follow the Apple/Samsung marketing blueprint of creating an upgrade culture.

Cant wait for the Fender American Pro 6S  :)
  • I’d rather have a Vintera. The specs are better and I’m not Donald Trump so happy for Mexican people to make my guitars.
    Have you seen the USA factory?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Heres my 2 cents 

For me they need to slimline what they offer eg..

Custom shop 

AO (MIA reissues) 

Ultra/Elite (something super modern) 

American special
    ( anything that isn’t standard, exotic woods, solid rosewood necks ect.. Just whatever is basically FSR for the year.

American Standard
    (what it’s says on the tin. Strats Teles offsets with the classic look but modern radius (9.5) and neck poss a slightly chunky modern C? Consistent high build quality that you would expect for a MIA guitar. Maybe rotate what pick ups come with it every one or 2 years if they want to keep things fresh. 

The Mexican lines should also follow a simple product line to avoid competing with the MIA guitar. 

Vintera/classic reissue 
    (Looks like 50’s 60’ or 70’s guitars but with modern fretboard slightly hotter pickups and medium jumbo frets 

Mexican standard modern 
    More like the ultra with flatter radius and frets more suited to shed players that don’t want to fork out over a grand for a modern Shur competing fender

Mexican Standard 
    Bog standard solid guitars, 9.5 radius, C shape necks and medium jumbo frets, 6, point trem for strats and maybe hardtail offsets with optional Humber versions. 

I’m sure some people won’t agree. But I really think they need to make the MIA guitars feel a decent step up from the MIM ranges or risk out competing them selves now that the MIM ranges are basically on par with the MIA ranges.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited September 2020
    It wouldn’t surprise me if the mex guitars are more profitable for them and if the ultimate goal is ceasing production in USA at some point. 
    Could be, but I suspect that there’s a healthy percentage of buyers who insist that their guitars are manufactured in the US, and Fender wouldn’t want those customers to go elsewhere. American made has always been something to dangle in front of punters.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Yeah good point!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    I’d rather have a Vintera. The specs are better and I’m not Donald Trump so happy for Mexican people to make my guitars.
    Yeah good point!
    Even in Leo's day Fullerton was staffed by Mexicans, Tadeo Gomez et al