Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who was it suggested Jazz 3 picks.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I’m not a fan of him but the John Petrucci Jazz III is thicker and more hold-able. The best pick I’ve ever used. I found the standard Jazz III too small and fiddly but I can’t imagine ever switching from these. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Blue Chip Jazz 60 here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've swapped over from red jazz iii to D'Addario nylpro, slightly bigger, and they rough up in a nice way.
  • I used them for ages but I was getting through loads of them because they wore quickly and werebecame horribly scratchy. I now use Ernie Ball Prodigies - nicer tone and they last forever.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited September 2020
    Following this thread I have ordered a set of Tortex TIIIs 1.14 in purple (wouldn't be my choice of colour, but that seems to be the colour they come in). First time I'll have used anything except Jazz 3s in forever.  I have a feeling they won't solve my occasional slippage problem and I will be back with my jazz 3s but worth giving them a go.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”

• I’m not a fan of him but the John Petrucci Jazz III is thicker and more hold-able. The best pick I’ve ever used. I found the standard Jazz III too small and fiddly but I can’t imagine ever switching from these. 
    I found this quite good when string skipping a lot,like in the second ascending run in the sweet child o mine solo 
  • Some of mine  green Kirk Hammett and white tortes are my fave,Petrucci is ace though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wait until you try a Jazz III XL :)
  • Primetones are nice too. I can't play normal sized picks now. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Jazz III red for me at the moment. The way I play, there's less chirp than the black and ultex Jazz III picks, plus slightly more flex and a slightly softer feel. That makes it a better all rounder going from single notes lines, funk rhythm and strumming.

But I think I could get used to any pick within reason.

It's not a competition.
  • The Primetone Jazz III XL is my fave. Tried loads including some really pricey ones and they feel right. 

Amazing how hard it is to use other sizes once you get used to one
  • I’ve been using the jazz 3 max grips in red for a while, definitely saw improvements to accuracy compared to the yellow tortex I'd been using. Just recently picked up some v-picks though with the more abrasive edges to try out. Feels weird going back up to larger picks, but at same time more reassuring that you can move the pick around without fear of it vanishing. More testing required.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Stevepage said:
    Strat54 said:

I'm using these now....amazing grip with them.
    It seems Blue Chip aren't shipping outside the US/Canada. Very strange
    I get mine here in the UK. Good service from this guy....

https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/strings_and_picks/blue_chip/blue_chip.htm
  • Strat54 said:
    Stevepage said:
    Strat54 said:

It seems Blue Chip aren't shipping outside the US/Canada. Very strange
    I get mine here in the UK. Good service from this guy....

https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/strings_and_picks/blue_chip/blue_chip.htm
    For a second I thought someone was charging 38 English pounds for a plectrum 

Bejesus!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use them all the time, but I can't use them now!!! They feel too weird. I use the Tortex .73 picks, but the ones with the JazzIII tip.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/tortex-jazz-iii-xl-pick-73mm/
    Picked some of these up recently and they're dead good.

I loved the grip and feel of the "normal" Jazz III but struggled to get comfortable with the size. 
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 251
    I've used most of them in the past (Blue Chip, Red Bear, V-Picks, Gravity etc), and have settled on UK-based Hawk picks. They're Tonebird 7 is a jazz iii sized pick, reasonably priced compared to some of the others mentioned above, and is as durable as I've found yet. Great service too, and I like supporting a UK company where possible. No affiliation on my part.
  • I ordered some 1.14 Tortex TIIIs, early days but quite liking them, though as a very minor issue not desperately keen on the colour.  I have a technical issue with the jazz 3s that they are so small I tend to get some nail impact when playing rhythm, poor technique on my part but hard to unlearn after years of bad habit.  I find the Tllls help a bit because I naturally leave more pick exposed, although I'll need more time to decide whether I like them better as an all round pick.

I was wondering how the Jazz 3 XLs compared size-wise - are they close to the Tllls or more half-way in-between the Tllls and normal Jazz 3s?  Anyone care to comment?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 563
    Strat54 said:

Its the only pick I can't lose as still paying it off in instalments!  They are very good tho ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom