Boss OD-3

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1647
    The buffer on it is fine. No different to any of the otehr Boss pedals I have. I didn't heard any bleed of the distorted signal when in bypass (gain and volume were max'ed to test it). I didn't notice any treble loss with it off, but then I didn't have the amp cranked too loud. I'm going to have another session tonight so I'll have a listen for any treble loss.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572

I use an OD-3 into the clean channel of my H&K Statesman Dual 6L6 for milder drive tones and it sounds terrific.  I think they work far better for this type of application than as a boost or for lead tones.

I use a BD-2 going into it for lead tones on that 'channel' and the two sound VERY nice stacked together into a good clean channel.  The BD-2 incidentally sounds great for lead work on all channels of the Statesman, far better than it does into my JVM410.

General consensus online is that Boss missed a trick in painting the OD-3 yellow like their other OD & DS pedals, as it is more closely related to the BD-2 which seems to be viewed as a more refined OD with a higher price tag.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited July 2014
    StefB said:

General consensus online is that Boss missed a trick in painting the OD-3 yellow like their other OD & DS pedals, as it is more closely related to the BD-2 which seems to be viewed as a more refined OD with a higher price tag.

I didn't think of that before, but LOL. What the hell is wrong with guitar players? More worryingly, can I catch it since I'm one too?

If you want a cheapo (with a bass control) BD2 the Digitech Screamin Blues is allegedly a glorified BD2. It sounds pretty good, though maybe a little harsh on the treble (but then the BD2 may be too). I haven't tried the two head to head, so it might be "in the ballpark" rather than "bang on".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I never thought the BD-2 was more 'refined' or 'better', just different from the SD-1/DS-1. (I've never liked it as much, actually!) I assumed it was more expensive because the R&D costs of the SD-1/DS-1 were lost in the mists of time and hence now written off. The component cost is only a small fraction of the build cost, and I wouldn't expect a few transistors vs an IC to make any significant difference to the final price.

Boss dirt pedals *should* be yellow or orange anyway. Blue is for compressors and choruses :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @icbm agree on the colours!

Orange... Mega distortion. Good lord that thing has a lot of nasty, balls to the wall gain. I quite like that one, actually.

I really liked the power stack, which was black, but it was a bit noisy... Bar that, it was a proper good sounding box through a vox.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    +1 on Boss colours

Yellow overdrives getting darker into orange/red for the heavier distortions. Black is for metal.

I also think Cheese and Onion crisps should be green and Salt and Vinegar should be blue!
    :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    steamabacus said:

I also think Cheese and Onion crisps should be green and Salt and Vinegar should be blue!

:D
    Absolute wisdom.

Companies which try to upset the natural order of things like this are a right pain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Yeah Walkers colours on crips are messed up.

I used to really like Golden Wonder cheese and onion but then they changed the recipe (this was back in the early 90s I'm guessing) and they never were as nice since.

Tayto is about the best nowadays. I think you can only get them in Northern Ireland and ROI, though. :D