Recommend an inefficient 12” speaker please!

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a low wattage, inefficient 12” speaker for use with my WEM Dominator? I love the edge of breakup sound but dialled in it is too loud. Rather than use an attenuator I was wondering if a speaker change could help? Current speaker is a Celestion G12-50
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Dinner Plate - Centenary LoungeCentenary Lounge

Here's one. 0dB/watt. Very inefficient.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    edited September 2020
    Cirrus said:
    Dinner Plate - Centenary LoungeCentenary Lounge

Here's one. 0dB/watt. Very inefficient.
    That looks ideal! Plate reverb built in too! Is it ceramic?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    Ooooo! Don't tell ICBM you have a Rocket 50 going spare. He loves 'em!

No, the Rocket is 95dB/W/mtr and that is low sensitivity for a 12" guitar speaker, most are 98-100dB. The only way to get a significant volume loss is a power soak. The good news is the Dommy is only about 15W? That means you can use a cheap Lpad type attenuator. I would go for one specc'ed at 100W (it ain't) but a 50W jobby would probably be fine.

Dave.
  • There's always the Eminence attenuating speakers, the Reignmaker or the Maverick.

The Reignmaker is 'Britsh voiced' and 92.5 - 98.7 dB variable sensitivity, the Maverick is 'American voiced' and
    92.5 - 99.5 dB variable sensitivity

You will pay that for another speaker. Mind you, many here would say you need that as well! Still, if YOU like it?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    :)

Yes, as Dave says the Rocket 50 (G12E-50) is only 95dB, but that won't actually reduce the volume that much, and they sound sh......

The Jensen P12R at just under 94dB (the lowest I can think of for any 12" guitar speaker) might be a better bet since they do actually sound good, but to get any serious volume reduction an attenuator will still be more effective.

Eminence make a couple of speakers with built-in attenuation via a large knob on the back - the Maverick and Reignmaker - which I think work by winding the magnet out of the coil - but they're fairly expensive and still not as quiet as an actual attenuator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks everyone, I’ll look into the Jensen P12r and attenuator suggestions  :)
  • You could look for an old G12s or G12l Greenback.
    I had some in a very similar amp and at home they were quite nice.

I’d avoid the Reignmaker. I had one of those too and it was ok with clean sounds but sounded terrible with any distortion.
    An attenuator was far far better.
    Hmm, I have a Greenback under son's HT-20 head. Yes, nice but I wouldn't call it quiet and I am clinically deaf!

Dave.
  • +1 for the P12R. Sounds good too, at least for Fendery-flavored stuff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ecc83 said:
    Hmm, I have a Greenback under son's HT-20 head. Yes, nice but I wouldn't call it quiet and I am clinically deaf!

Dave.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific about the old lower watt ones

G12L 15w from the 60s is very quiet. 
    My other greenbacks aren’t quiet.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    The P12R came out top when I tried a few in my Cornell Romany 1 x 12”...
    The G12S-20 is pretty quiet, I’d guess about 95dB too, and it’s a very nice-sounding speaker. Some Dominators came with them as stock. ‘Quiet’ is only relative to a Greenback or a G12H-30 though, they’re still far too loud to crank the amp up at home volume.

Even if a G12L is a dB or two lower (it might be, I’m not sure) the same will apply. You really need to be getting down to about 90dB or less for a speaker to be really ‘quiet’ - you might find old hi-fi bass drivers as low as that, but they probably won’t sound any good for guitar. They also tend to be quite fragile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I should add that I’m not talking about home volume, I’m talking about small gigs with a drummer! 
    I should add that I’m not talking about home volume, I’m talking about small gigs with a drummer! 
    Ah... in that case look for a G12S-20! They're not that common, but the good news is that for a vintage Celestion, they're remarkably overlooked and not expensive.

I should add that I’m not talking about home volume, I’m talking about small gigs with a drummer! 

You have found a drummer that you can stay with with a 15 watt amp and a 95 dibble speaker?!! Never let him leave!

You definitely need a power soak. From what I can deduce, you need the amp cooking but about 5 watts into speaker.

Dave.