Any benefit in trading up

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TADodger said:
    picking up on Funkfingers point about how often a Jaguar is used, are there any more versatile guitars that follow the same, or similar, form factor i.e. short scale, offset?
    This might depend on how a Jaguar's controls and selector switch(es) are wired.

The Johnny Marr signature model has slightly hotter pickups and the option of series interconnection via its 4-way selector switch. Following experiments with a Freeway 3B3-01 six-way switch in a Telecaster, I can imagine that the same six coil permutations could make for a far more versatile Jaguar. (Alternatively, use the 3x3-03 six-way toggle selector if you wish to retain the bass cut "strangle" switch.)

Much also depends on whether you regard the Jaguar as just a body shape or as having a specific sonic identity from which it is forbidden to deviate. i.e. Surf Music, Indie shoe gaze and the occasional L.A. session dude.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Funkfingers for me it’s about the ease of playing. As the largest amount of my playing is done sitting down, the Jag sits nicely and the short scale suits my small hands, plus this one isn’t particularly  heavy  at just under 8lbs.

I’m just interested in what other guitars may offer the same ease but have more versatile pickups / switching.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    Some good points above to consider

Ref trading up, then I recall a customer saying to me once, 'if you can't tell the difference then it saves you a few quid, yet if you can tell the difference then be prepared to get the card out' 

An obvious comment at the end of the day, that any hands on test will instantly reveal the answer
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10235
    I've let some great guitars go by "trading up."
    My experience is as you go up the food chain, you get a better guitar, but don't let a guitar you like go because something more expensive has to be better
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited September 2020
    TADodger said:
    for me, it’s about the ease of playing. As the largest amount of my playing is done sitting down, the Jag sits nicely and the short scale suits my small hands, plus this one isn’t particularly heavy at just under 8lbs.
    All reasons to keep your Squier guitar and, possibly, modify it a little.

TADodger said:
    I’m just interested in what other guitars may offer the same ease but have more versatile pickups / switching.
    A vintage-style Mustang has slightly more versatile pickup switching inasmuchas it is possible to have its pickups on in reverse phase. (A thin and wiry sound, reminiscent of the intro to Smells Like Teen Spirit.

In most other respects, on these guitar designs, the slider switch selection method is single most annoying thing about them. The Jazzmaster approach with a three way toggle selector is far quicker to use.

Of the two Freeway selector switch types mentioned in my 23/09 post, the 3B3-01 lever makes most sense with vintage output single coil pickups. The 3X3-03 toggle is probably more appropriate for “rail” type humbuckers. 

Some versions of the Schaller Megaswitch might also be appropriate, depending on which coil permutations you desire.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.