Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sire Larry Carlton S type - anyone tried one?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @ZenOvertone is right, one just arrived...everything seems fine but that lacquered fingerboard is bizzarre!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I took a punt on the 335 type - the quirk with this one that I missed was that it’s a 40mm nut width! Why!

Other than that the build is generally very good - a bit of finish bleed into the binding in places and a couple of small glue marks in the f holes and a bit on the heavy side.

It plays very nicely - rolled edges and lovely fret job and sounds REALLY good - clear and crisp.

Alas, don’t think I can live with the nut width so will probably go back but it has set me on a rabbit hole dive into 335 land! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I took a punt on the 335 type - the quirk with this one that I missed was that it’s a 40mm nut width! Why!

Other than that the build is generally very good - a bit of finish bleed into the binding in places and a couple of small glue marks in the f holes and a bit on the heavy side.

It plays very nicely - rolled edges and lovely fret job and sounds REALLY good - clear and crisp.

Alas, don’t think I can live with the nut width so will probably go back but it has set me on a rabbit hole dive into 335 land! 

Well, that actually means the Carlton association is not so tenuous :). Being a late 60s model, his 335 has a narrower nut I believe.

If you haven't checked out the Ibanez semi-hollows, I strongly suggest you give one of these a try. This, for instance, should be great and about the same dough as the Sire

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/ibanez/artcore-series-guitars/ibanez-artcore-expressionist-semi-flame-maple-super-58-hh-trans-cherry-red

I had the cheaper John Scofield model for a little while before I bought an actual 335, it was fantastic.

You could also do worse than the newer Epi Sheraton, was really impressed with that when I tried it on my 335 quest.

Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    dindude said:

Well, that actually means the Carlton association is not so tenuous :). Being a late 60s model, his 335 has a narrower nut I believe.

If you haven't checked out the Ibanez semi-hollows, I strongly suggest you give one of these a try. This, for instance, should be great and about the same dough as the Sire

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/ibanez/artcore-series-guitars/ibanez-artcore-expressionist-semi-flame-maple-super-58-hh-trans-cherry-red

I had the cheaper John Scofield model for a little while before I bought an actual 335, it was fantastic.

You could also do worse than the newer Epi Sheraton, was really impressed with that when I tried it on my 335 quest.

The Ibanez models seem to be a 43mm nut.
    @duotone I've got an ibanez semi hollow that I don't get on so well with as the nut is too wide or something feels weird under my hands...maybe the sire would work?

Review of the s type coming in a couple hours!
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    JohnCordy said:

Looking forward to this then. I was thinking a partscaster for a future S type, but I’m very interested in these as they seem to tick a lot of boxes at a decent price. So it’ll be nice to see a fair review rather than sales pitch. Plus some marvellous playing :smile:
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    JohnCordy said:
    @duotone I've got an ibanez semi hollow that I don't get on so well with as the nut is too wide or something feels weird under my hands...maybe the sire would work?

@JohnCordy ;
    Sounds like the Sire could work better for you, I haven’t played either though tbh. Is your Ibanez a 43mm Nut?  Have I seen you playing a D’Angelico, how does that nut width compare to the Ibanez you have?
    @duotone hmm yeh just measured and both the ibanez and d'an have 43mm.

Something about the ibanez is less comfortable in my hand though...
    here's some thoughts and noodling on the sire s7 which arrived yesterday!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that @JohnCordy ! Nice overview. Tasty playing too :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!