Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

nine's

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I can't remember the last time I broke a string. I have 9's on my Fenders and 10's on my PRS and Gibson.

Having said that, when I was gigging with my main guitar (a Fender Strat) I changed my strings every gig.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    I just lose 9’s under my fingers...
  • Nick13Nick13 Frets: 736
    in almost 20 years i have never broken a string.... so for me, no they are just the same :D
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I use 9s on everything and generally I only break strings through taking them off and putting them on the guitar so much. I'm always messing around with stuff.
  • I played around with string gauges in the first few years of playing, moved teem 8s and 11s until I settled on 9s as my preference.  Been using 9s for 30 years and cant say I have broken any in recent years.  They go dead and need changing before breaking.

• FezFez Frets: 577
    9 to 42s if I break a string there's usually a reason for it like whammy abuse or a bit on the hardware. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I put 9s on my Tele and I don't think I've ever broken a string. But I'm quite a delicate flower and strum with my fingers.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    Happy long term 9-46 user[1] here - yes I break the odd string but oddly not the plain ones, it’s always the D or A...

[1] Except the Squier JM - even with the Staytrem bridge that really doesn’t seem happy with anything below 11...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Been using Elixir and D'Addario 9-46 for about 10 years now, and I've probably broken 3 strings in that time - two of them were NYXLs from what I believe was a bad batch.

If your bridge is decent quality, and your nut's cut right, I don't think there's any reason to break 9s and 10s any more than other gauges.
    <space for hire>
  • Nah, they're fine.

I am currently using 11s on a tele and when I go back to a guitar with 9s I find myself playing so much faster and able to do much bigger bends. I might change back to 9s again. 
  • 9s on Strats and RGs and 10s on PRS, can’t remember breaking a string. Not for many years. 
    Switch to D’Addario balanced tension a few years ago and love them - give them a try
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    edited September 2020
    I don't think I've ever snapped a string whilst playing. 9's are way too floppy and loose for my liking... I use 11-52 on electric and 12s on acoustic, plenty of bend in both of them! 
  • ive broken more strings on a set of 10s than any other gauge. Now use 8s. never broken one yet.