Crimson Guitars oils experience/advice?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3859
edited October 2020 in Making & Modding
Hi,

I’ve stripped the top of a guitar that was finished in wax, very much a French polish finish. I’ve applied three coats of Crimson Guitars’ black stain and it’s looking good. Next to oil. I bought the penetrating oil and high finish oils. 

Can anybody advise on their experiences? Based on a rather brusque phone I think it was three coats of penetrating oil with a few hours between, after each leaving it ten and giving it a good rub down with a cloth. Then, I think, four or five applications of the high oil, leaving maybe a day apart. The guy wasn’t really keen to help and clearly wanted me off the phone!

Interested to know how people have got on, tips, etc.  
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3098
    As much as I utterly detest the owner, I would suggest Crimson Stunning Stains and Finishing Oil...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, thanks, @paulnb57 - I won't ask :)

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    As much as I utterly detest the owner, I would suggest Crimson Stunning Stains and Finishing Oil...
    Edited, in line with a purchase, as suggested by @paulnb57 ;

My band, Red For Dissent
    The stains and oils are as good as anything else out there, the stains have good colour saturation, the oils work well but you MUST follow the instructions to the letter.....you must apply the oil and remove the excess, failure to do so results in a finish that doesn't harden, do it properly and its great, don’t try and lather the oil on to get a quick deep finish, it just will not work, patience is key. It an easy way to get a good finish...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• @paulnb57 What is your preferred technique for removing the excess oil?

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited October 2020
    The paper towel he uses looks like kitchen roll but isn’t..kitchen roll disintegrates and leaves white bits in your finish...I would use a piece of an old t shirt.....and a new piece for each coat...

https://youtu.be/vUY657S6MwU

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s what I was planning, so that’s good! Thanks :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I used Stunning Stains on my BillyBo build and the finish was epic.  Easy to apply, BUT make sure you take the layers slowly to get the colour and finish you want.
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • @entee ;

I might have rushed but found very little consistent advice between videos, the instructions and the selling page:

My band, Red For Dissent
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    My build and subsequent staining is here ...  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/101916/ngd-graick-2312-tvr-photo-heavy#latest

whilst the photos are here ...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/25891924@N08/albums/72157661232000888

Doesn't look to much wrong with yours  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • I've been using them recently on a knackered old broken body or 2, fun and I think it turned out okay (last couple of posts/links).

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/166627/1st-go-at-guitar-building#latest

I used cut up t-shirts for application, sanding back, restaining loads which you can see, just be careful to use seperate rags for blending if doing something like a sunburst, don't pull the colours in too much. You need a good body to start with though really, unlike the one im practicing on. 
  • Wow, @entee and @rjb2679 - nice work!

Am I rushing mine?  I'm not sure when or if to apply more high finish.  When I spoke to them on the phone, it was suggested that, I think, 4-6 coats of high finish over a few hours a time.  I guess I'm concerned it won't cure.  It feels nice enough now, only four hours on, smooth and dry.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I was reading some luthiers would put like 10-12 coats of oil on theirs over a month (i did a quick play with some raw linseed oil in the thread but haven't oiled mine yet after finish, min 24hrs between coats on the bottle).

I did a few layers on bare to see, the more were added the more pronounced the grains were, so I'll be putting plenty on when done.

Flickr app is rubbish, dont know if you can see this, 1st coat only;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186175450@N06/50278298341/in/dateposted-public/
  • Looks great, @rjb2679 - I'm not sure whether to keep going or not, or when to do another coat - and if so whether to use more wet and dry :(

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Well, I decided to do one more coat of high finishing oil with 2,000 grit, as I presumed it would be safer. It left a lot of scratches, which was frustrating. So I used 0000 wire wool to take it back a bit and have re-oiled (quite thin layers, heavily buffed within 15 minutes) twice. I think I’m happy and will do one more layer before reassembly tomorrow. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    Looks great!

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3859
    edited October 2020
    Thanks, @paulnb57 ;

Is it usual to apply something post-oiling? Or is polish okay?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    It looks great!
    Ive never used polish...

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    Oil on its own should be ok.