Crimson Guitars oils experience/advice?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16946
    I like to finish off my oil finishes with bri-wax, thoroughly rubbed in with 0000 wire wool and buffed off with a soft cloth.  Gives a nice soft sheen  and feels great 

But the concern here would be that it might life more of the black.  I think you have it at a good level now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, all. I’m pretty pleased with the results :)

@wezv I think you’re right. Was without 0000? Buffing?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • That’s that done. I applied some Gerlitz carnauba wax and it took it really well. I’m going to pop on a bit of Renaissance wax too.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    That’s that done. I applied some Gerlitz carnauba wax and it took it really well. I’m going to pop on a bit of Renaissance wax too.

Jeez you got me there.  Absolutely love this ! 
  • Thanks, @Jazzhat - I've refinished the back now, too, which looks much better.  Just an oiled sapele.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I finished a guitar with their stain with their finishing oil. If I remember correctly I followed the sorta 2000 grit application method and I could not be happier. I finished up at a Satin place and its perfect. I think if I was ever to do a build again I wouldn't use anything else. 
  • @PracticalPatch - I didn't have much joy with wet and dry, although used it a little on the back.  Lack of experience but with 1,200 put some scratches in that I had to get back out.  Turned out well though.  Just wish they published decent guidance.

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    That looks splendid!

• @Andyjr1515 - thanks :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • @PracticalPatch - I didn't have much joy with wet and dry, although used it a little on the back.  Lack of experience but with 1,200 put some scratches in that I had to get back out.  Turned out well though.  Just wish they published decent guidance.
    Ah that's a shame man! Sorry just had a look through the thread better and caught up! Seen your other post and you mention drying periods. I know what you mean about guidance, its irritating have to wade through hours of youtube videos..... When I did it, I was in a flat that had a yearly average temp of around 27C and there were no drafts. I think this played a massive part in my endeavour as the drying was painless. It's not my area at all working with wood etc. However from dealing with guitars now my own and other peoples for the better part of five years, I can totally state that a consistent environment is the only place to be doing this sort of work. Yet ironically most of us do'ers end up working in freezing cold workshops hahaha so who knows! 

From what I have seen now of what you have done it still looks great man. Well done! 
  • Thanks, @PracticalPatch It’s exceeded my expectations, which were admittedly low, so happy enough :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • @imalrightjack good stuff man!