Do you really need a Strat to play some Hendrix...?

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
....or a Les Paul to play some Led Zep?

I'm asking this as I am going through a MASSIVE Hendrix phase right now. And naturally I am playing through my favourite songs and riffs and videos on YouTube etc. 

And I am playing it all on my no.1 guitar: a LP.

And so, naturally, I am GASing for a CS Strat. And I've seen one I really really want.

But am I just deceiving myself? Does anyone really need the same type of guitar to really get that something more out of playing certain songs by certain guitarists? Is it all just chasing that kind of experience that doesn't really exist? Or if you are buying a nice guitar that will hold its value does it really matter?

I'm not even talking about sounds or sounding like the artist because that's ridiculous - I'm talking more about the feel and experience of playing in a more abstract way.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74482

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    edited October 2020
    Quick answer, yes. 

A strat type is just so much closer in the way it sounds and feels for that type of playing. Doesn't have to be anything pricey. A decent Squier will be great.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    Do you need a Red Special to play Queen ? - I'd say no  - In my opinion the first point to conquer when playing the songs, or style, of an other artists is to be able to play the appropriate licks, tune and phrasing - The closer you can get to this then the more the audience, or indeed yourself, will feel confident about your achievement 

You may well be trying to play a cover version in a totally different way, ie as per Jimi did with All along the watch tower - In which case then does it matter what guitar you are playing

But if you are trying to be as close as possible to the original song, tune ,artist, my view is to first conquer the actually notes, licks, phrasing - Then if you are close with the tonal character of the guitar, ie cleanish for say Little Wing and more gain for say Purple Haze, then in my opinion the guitar itself is not as important - In that you can play many Hendrix songs and licks on a 335 if required

Get the notes wrong and everyone will pass judgement - Get the tone slightly different, then who cares 

Elvis and Frank don't need to sound the same the same to sing My Way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • A Tele with twisted tele pup in the neck for your hendrix stuff and flick to the bridge for Led Zep  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    No.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    I found the Les Paul took longer to set alight...but once it got going the fire lasted longer due to the increased mass and the long tenon  =)
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You people...

I bet you'd play Smells Like Teen Spirit on a Suhr too.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    Yep
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Single coil neck pickup is pretty essential imho
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16677
    There's a good video on YT of a German guy who plays a big ol' Gretsch and is a Rockabilly/Slapback player through a Vintage Fender amp
    .......he does a great 'billy tune with great tone and slapback delay etc and when the camera pans across as he finishes you can see he has been playing a very pointy BC Rich Metal thing through a Metal amp with the volume low and a delay pedal .
     Sounds just like a 50s recording !
    He says "you don't need the Gretsch etc to do this and did you have any idea until the camera panned out " 
     Any combustible guitar will do Hendrix
  • I took a notion for a strat recently(after primarily playing humbuckered single cuts for the last few years) and bought a really nice CV one. 

But after the initial ’new guitar’ honeymoon period, I realised I just couldn’t gel with it and ended up trading it for a Les Paul. 

I don’t know if it was the single coils, scale length or what, but it just wasn’t for me! 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    Frankly, getting a Strat is a small part of it: Playing it upside down, left-handed and with telegraph poles for fingers is what matters most. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    edited October 2020
    A Les Paul to play Led Zeppelin?

Here's Jimbob Page playing something that looks remarkably like a Funder Tellingcaster. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20590
    ".or a Les Paul to play some Led Zep?"
    Led Zeppelin 1 was done on a telecaster as was the Stairway to Heaven solo.
    Tone comes from the player not the gear, although apparently it can help a bit 
    But I hear what you say about the 'feel'.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    This is getting a bit off track. I was wondering about do you need a guitar of a certain make to have a more authentic experience of playing certain songs of certain artists. I understand that Jimmy Paddy Page played the fiddle as well as a LP and that any song can be played on any guitar.

I’m trying to work out if I really need a Strat to get deeper into my Hendrix (and Rory Gallagher) obsessions, or is it the GAS talking?

Basically will the right guitar help me connect to something that I can’t connect to without it? And how to I explain this to the wife?
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 176
    Dominic said:
    There's a good video on YT of a German guy who plays a big ol' Gretsch and is a Rockabilly/Slapback player through a Vintage Fender amp
    .......he does a great 'billy tune with great tone and slapback delay etc and when the camera pans across as he finishes you can see he has been playing a very pointy BC Rich Metal thing through a Metal amp with the volume low and a delay pedal .
     Sounds just like a 50s recording !
    He says "you don't need the Gretsch etc to do this and did you have any idea until the camera panned out " 
     Any combustible guitar will do Hendrix
    Randy Richter. I think of that video every time this question comes up.
    edited October 2020
    LPManic said:
    This is getting a bit off track. I was wondering about do you need a guitar of a certain make to have a more authentic experience of playing certain songs of certain artists. I understand that Jimmy Paddy Page played the fiddle as well as a LP and that any song can be played on any guitar.

I’m trying to work out if I really need a Strat to get deeper into my Hendrix (and Rory Gallagher) obsessions, or is it the GAS talking?

Basically will the right guitar help me connect to something that I can’t connect to without it? And how to I explain this to the wife?

And again, yes it will. 

It never occurs to me to play Jimi when pick up my SG. It never occurs to me to play Cream tunes when I pick up my Strat.

Tone may be in the fingers, but only once they are playing the right guitar. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20590
    LPManic said:

LPManic said:

As I said " I hear what you say about the 'feel "
    Only you can answer your question, good luck in your search :+1: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2254
    edited October 2020
    There's the wonderful Frank Marino who plays an SG

It's not a competition.