Do you really need a Strat to play some Hendrix...?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    edited October 2020
    usedtobe said:
    soma1975 said:
    LPManic said:
    This is getting a bit off track. I was wondering about do you need a guitar of a certain make to have a more authentic experience of playing certain songs of certain artists. I understand that Jimmy Paddy Page played the fiddle as well as a LP and that any song can be played on any guitar.

I’m trying to work out if I really need a Strat to get deeper into my Hendrix (and Rory Gallagher) obsessions, or is it the GAS talking?

Basically will the right guitar help me connect to something that I can’t connect to without it? And how to I explain this to the wife?

And again, yes it will. 

It never occurs to me to play Jimi when pick up my SG. It never occurs to me to play Cream tunes when I pick up my Strat.

Tone may be in the fingers, but only once they are playing the right guitar. 

https://youtu.be/P0nKzPhfYWE 

And it sounds awful. Point proven tbf. Imagine if he'd come out rocking a 335 or SG.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    usedtobe said:
    soma1975 said:
    LPManic said:
    This is getting a bit off track. I was wondering about do you need a guitar of a certain make to have a more authentic experience of playing certain songs of certain artists. I understand that Jimmy Paddy Page played the fiddle as well as a LP and that any song can be played on any guitar.

I’m trying to work out if I really need a Strat to get deeper into my Hendrix (and Rory Gallagher) obsessions, or is it the GAS talking?

Basically will the right guitar help me connect to something that I can’t connect to without it? And how to I explain this to the wife?

And again, yes it will. 

It never occurs to me to play Jimi when pick up my SG. It never occurs to me to play Cream tunes when I pick up my Strat.

Tone may be in the fingers, but only once they are playing the right guitar. 

https://youtu.be/P0nKzPhfYWE 

And it sounds awful. Point proven tbf. Imagine if he'd come out rocking a 335 or SG.

I think i heard a Clapton interview once where he says they did rehearse with the 'old' setup, Marshall stacks, Gibsons etc, but that they didn't feel it was right and wanted it to be different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited October 2020
    Dominic said:
    Didn't Hendrix also play a flying V ?
    and an SG/LP custom ( 3 p/up , white )
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001

Well this sounds pretty good to me. 

I think i heard a Clapton interview once where he says they did rehearse with the 'old' setup, Marshall stacks, Gibsons etc, but that they didn't feel it was right and wanted it to be different.
    aka Fender said 'WTF are you doing? You have signature guitars and amps with us and this will be your biggest gig for decades'

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    TTBZ said:

Well this sounds pretty good to me. 

Red House got played on humbucker guitars a fair bit I think. Try playing killing floor on an SG though :-1: 

• Check out Aynsley Lister's version of Little Wing, to my mind one of the better versions of this song - Aynsley used a 335!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    An ability to play guitar with your teeth is more important than the type of guitar.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    No

But it's nice  :)