Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you Muff?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    They're too compressed.
    Even for a fuzz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    I built my own Ram’s Head Pi at the start of lockdown. I already had clones of the Fuzz Face and Tone Bender so I thought I’d complete the holy trinity of fuzz. But to me the Big Muff is more of a distortion pedal. It does its thing, but not a thing I need to do very often.
  • Thorpy FX Muffroom Cloud, does that count?  :)
    No , and Mike Matthews will sue you if you say it does.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited October 2020
    Where does the Roland BeeBaa (Black cat BeeBuzz) sit in relation to the muff universe? I have one and think it’s a bit muffy, but still fancy a green Russian...will they be too close?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
    edited October 2020
    Of the few EHX Muffs I tried, the tone wicker was the best (of the 3 different models I've had). I sold it, but would not hesitate to use one again. Better, to me, than the reissue green muff and regular/standard PI
    I have a nano Octavix EHX and it's great.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2664
    tFB Trader
    I have tried to muff, the one I liked the most was the Tone Wicker, but they never last on my board very long

But I recently fell in love with a Fuzz factory clone that does some great fuzz tones + all sorts of crazy
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    I haven’t found an EHX variant I like but I really love the Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah. Three clipping options, hi/lo input toggle and a high end control. The Ge clipping option is just so warm and lovely. 

Also had a big box Dope Priest which was great but too big for placement on my pedalboard. 
  • skunkwerx said:

Do you Muff? 

Yep!

Metal muff = soon to be replaced.. don’t think I can get a good sound out of it myself but its buffered so helps out last in line in the front of the amp I guess. 

Green Russian = Dark, not as high gainy as I’d like. I feel like it needs to be loud to really sound good. 
    I’ve had two and I can never get it to sound anything like it does in the demo’s. 

Op-amp = Snarly. Closer to what I was looking for. Sounds good, more gain on tap than the Russian. This one is staying. 

I do want to try a Rams head and Triangle though. 
    I didn't get on with the metal muff either. It seemed to hairy and not aggressive enough as a distortion yet too polite as a fuzz.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    Thorpy FX Muffroom Cloud, does that count?  :)
    No , and Mike Matthews will sue you if you say it does.
    I say it does. So sue me!  ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    edited October 2020
    Sure I do.

I have an old Sovtek Green one (which I only use in the studio now as the switch is a tiny bit temperamental) which I switched out for a Fredric green Russian. I've had an NYC big box and now I use Muff copy on my board, a Biyang Fuzz Star. The Sovtek sounds the absolute best to me.
  • Winwood
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    edited October 2020
  • StuobStuob Frets: 36
    I don`t but thinking maybe I should.
  • I have two. One is a juansolo ultra stoner (I think that's what it's called) - and the other is a 3 knob tone bender that's very muffy and not tone bender-y. These both run into a single knob boost pedal that crackles when you turn it. 

So the ultra stoner is a wall of sound. It's ultra scooped - so, so, so scooped. There is a mid control so you can make it nearly flat - but that's just misuse really. It has three clipping options too, silicon, germanium and led I think? Led adds a bit of sparkle and cut and hardness, the germanium is my favourite, all soft and fluffy. 

The tone bender is the versatile muff - it can do really great fuzzy rock tones, lovely lead tones (but it's not a pink Floyd style muff at all). It sounds great with loads of gain or not much gain. 

Wonder how juansolo is these days. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28750
    I have a Fuzzdog kit I built years ago. It's either a Triangle or Ram's Head, and I added a switch to give a fairly sizable mid-hump. Doing that (especially with a booster in front) makes it sound great into a smaller amp, though I'll admit I still hardly use it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    I have two. One is a juansolo ultra stoner (I think that's what it's called) - and the other is a 3 knob tone bender that's very muffy and not tone bender-y. These both run into a single knob boost pedal that crackles when you turn it. 

So the ultra stoner is a wall of sound. It's ultra scooped - so, so, so scooped. There is a mid control so you can make it nearly flat - but that's just misuse really. It has three clipping options too, silicon, germanium and led I think? Led adds a bit of sparkle and cut and hardness, the germanium is my favourite, all soft and fluffy. 

The tone bender is the versatile muff - it can do really great fuzzy rock tones, lovely lead tones (but it's not a pink Floyd style muff at all). It sounds great with loads of gain or not much gain. 

Wonder how juansolo is these days. 
    What is the tone bender-esque pedal of which you speak?
  • I've never found a muff i like. The first pedal bought with my own money was a green russian, so much disappointment. Over the years I've been through loads from vintage to boutique to Chinese clones. I really want to love them but alas they're not for me. 
  • I've got a Juansolo clone of the Skreddy P19 which I love.  It's got a switch that boosts mids slightly. Great muff.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    edited October 2020
    I always wanted to but hadn't found the one until recently.

One of my fondest pedal memories is buying a black Russian Muff reissue in about 2000 and hitting an open E . No practice amp has ever recreated The Smashing Pumpkin's "Today" so perfectly as that afternoon. Obviously it died in short order and over the years I've tried loads of EHX and clones but never recaptured that feeling. Until now

https://expressofx.com/product/tup-fuzz/

It's got an articulation they usually miss for me but the star(s) of the show are the switchable bass and mid boosts. Regardless of what I'm playing I can find something that works. Expensive yes, but incredibly well-made and absolutely magical sounding. I adore it.
  • My Names Jerome and I'm a Fuzz Addict - queue the clapping.
    What bought me to fuzz face anonymous?
    A Mayo Skreddy clone with 2N513 Transisitors
    A very Nice nameless proper NKT275 Red dot thing
    A Ibanez OD850
    A ThorpyFX muff 
    A Big Muff Op amp clone
    A Third Stone Fuzz pedal
    A Dennis Cornell arbiter fuzz face with AC128's
    And various nameless ebay 0C75 & OC81 Fuzz faces.

Don't you think you have enough fuzz face's in your life Jerome...  No I came here to buy more.