Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you Muff?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• liamonliamon Frets: 105
    I have 3 black russian numbers that I acquired when they were still reasonably priced... they keep going up so I'm holding them for now... Have always been a fan of the sound on bass as well. Green Muff is the best sound IMO, many good clones about. Frederic are very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    I do , but its a love/hate relationship tbh. 
    I had a couple of early EH Muffs in the late 70s and recently hankered after the "violin like" sustained tones again. 
    I built a couple of kits using parts as close as I could get to the originals but was a bit underwhelmed with the results unfortunately. I prefer the Tonebenders for aggressive grit when required. 
  • liamonliamon Frets: 105
    My Names Jerome and I'm a Fuzz Addict - queue the clapping.
    What bought me to fuzz face anonymous?
    A Mayo Skreddy clone with 2N513 Transisitors
    A very Nice nameless proper NKT275 Red dot thing
    A Ibanez OD850
    A ThorpyFX muff 
    A Big Muff Op amp clone
    A Third Stone Fuzz pedal
    A Dennis Cornell arbiter fuzz face with AC128's
    And various nameless ebay 0C75 & OC81 Fuzz faces.

Don't you think you have enough fuzz face's in your life Jerome...  No I came here to buy more.
    I also went through a big fuzz phase:
    Black Russian big muffs 
    Frederic effects green muff
    Boss power driver (pick one up they are cheap)
    Boss FZ-2 (too expensive now but a one-way ticket to Electric Wizard)
    80s LM308 RAT (sure technically distortion) 
    Zvex fuzz factory (versatile and brutal, highly recommended but takes time to master)
  • Quick update for all the Muffers......

The Tone Wicker arrived and.....it's complicated.  :)

To be frank, the original sounded better at home volumes. With the tone on and the wicker off, the new one has more bass and less top end AT THE SAME SETTINGS, but I can pretty much replicate the original sound with the tone turned up to 3 o'clock ish. 

Had one chance to try it in a mix before new lockdown and it actually sounds better at volume with a bass player and a drummer - wicker on and tone off it's far, far more brutal than the old one. With the wicker off it's warmer and has far more mids than the original. 

Basically, I need to relearn how to use it. There's a much wider selection of filth* but it's not quite as transparent at home volumes. 

*Because you can't get 'Teenage Eskimo' in Wantage.