Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I bought a Tiny Terror. And struggled.

What's Hot

Comments

• liamonliamon Frets: 103
    Maybe 600 haha. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Orange PPC112 cabinet is just about the worst cab I’ve ever used though. Avoid like the plague. 
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    liamon said:
    Orange PPC112 cabinet is just about the worst cab I’ve ever used though. Avoid like the plague. 
    Whyzat then? I don't need one now but often thought of treating myself to a matching cab. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    V30 speaker wouldn't be my choice with an EL84 amp.

You can change it, but then you've spent quite a lot of money and could get something very nice from a custom builder in matching orange if you wanted
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    liamon said:
    I thought it was quite boxy and harsh with the stock V30, but hugely improved with a Classic Lead 80.

I really don't know why Orange put V30s in everything. I can't think of a single one of their amps it actually suits, compared to the two or three alternatives (all Celestion, so not a supplier issue).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    Though I've literally just parted company with my Tiny Terror and the 1x12 Cab I used it with, I can honestly say it was a joy to own . . . Your 100% right about struggling to get a good clean tone but I had a lot of joy experimenting with lower gain tubes . . The 5751 was good but an old Mullard 12AT7/ECC81 was better by far . . I even tried a 12AU7 in V1 as well as a 12AV7 again in V1 . . All were fun, and nearly all had their strengths but I think the nicest overall was the Mullard . . . I swapped it out when I sold the Amp and its now in my 68 Deluxe Reverb . . I also used my old Quadraverb with the Tiny Terror and coupled with the Mullard, worked really well . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

Ah right...so a speaker choice thing rather than a construction/quality thing then. At that price you'd think they'd offer whatever Celestion you wanted out of their 'usual' ceramic range. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    shady said:
    Ah right...so a speaker choice thing rather than a construction/quality thing then. At that price you'd think they'd offer whatever Celestion you wanted out of their 'usual' ceramic range. 
    They're using the Neo Creambacks in some of them now. It just puzzles me that they're so stuck on V30s when they are no longer the 'only premium speaker' they seemed to be in the 1990s. They have exactly the wrong characteristics for the Orange sound - which is middy, quite thick and with a fuzzy top-end. The V30 exaggerates all those, not in a good way. I'd pick a G12H-30 for any of the amps under 30W and a Classic Lead or Creamback G12H-75 for the ones above (or multiple H30s if it's enough).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

shady said:
    liamon said:
    Whyzat then? I don't need one now but often thought of treating myself to a matching cab. 
    Really poor cabinet materials (compared to the PPC212 for example). It just sounded like it was made of cardboard to me. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Tried a Tiny Terror, didn't like it at all. One trick pony and even the distortion was grating.

There was a 15w all valve Vox amp head called the Night Train that was their take on the TT that I had on loan from Vox with a 1x12 Greenback cab Different class and infinitely superior, way more musical with great cleans and distortion, Inc a gain boost switch that was brilliant...and it looked great and came with a nice little padded gig bag/ cover.  I was really sorry to have to give it back. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I hated the Night Train distortion too to be fair, but the cleans and nearly cleans were great.
    I didn't love the greenback either, it sounded better with a G12H30, but not enough to make me keep it.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBM said:
    NelsonP said:
    What about the Orange Rocker 32? 2 channels, with decent cleans and dirt. And it's stereo.
    I would get an older Rocker 30 1x12" combo and fit it with a G12H-75, personally. Or even better, a head and a 2x12".

The R30 is Orange's best modern amp in my opinion - it's very basic in terms of features but it just sounds fantastic, much better than the Rockerverbs, Terrors, Thunders etc. I haven't actually tried the Rocker 32, but the 15 isn't as good as the 30.
    Couldn't agree more. The least versatile but best sounding setup I've owned (and hoping to gig with again soon!) is a Rocker 30 head into a Zilla Fatboy 212. The Zilla is loaded with a CL80 and a V30, it sounds pretty solid. Definitely worth a punt although the heads are getting tough to find, but they are out there and can be had at a good price.
    This may make some of you laugh, probably more like facepalm.  Why isn't there a facepalm to go with the LOL, wow and wiz anyway?

The fuckaboutary continues...

So, when I auditioned that old 70's PA cab I recently bought, it was through an early model 2006 Korean made Tiny Terror that had been modded with a couple of voicing switches, an FX loop and had the cathode bias adjusted.  I went back to the shop and part ex'd my later model Chinese made one for said Korean and also acquired an old Arion EQ pedal that the guy had also modded to go in it's loop. 

Totally fixes everything I struggled with.  Totally.

Although still too mid focussed, even with the amp set to stock it sounds clearer, less muddy and less congested.  The 'voicing' switches go only some way to improve a cleaner tone, one switch adding slightly more bass, the other adding attenuation.  Put the 5751 in V1 again, coz I like it - haven't bothered with the RFT ecc82 in V2 as the amp sounds more open anyway.  Popped the EQ pedal in the loop with the 'V' shape and boom, knocked the honk right out of the bastid.  House volume tones now have proper girth, no honk and loads of tweakability. 

Get in.  I was having buyers remorse about this one, WTF am I thinking/tone chasing to nowhere/am I being a complete twat?
    No worries in the end.  Just a bit of a twat, no change there.

End of project I think.  I might swap the Celestion Marquee he put in the cab, but it all sounds so fat and clear now that can definitely wait.

Unless of course I see a bargain of an H magnet, A type or CL80 somewhere.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    I must be lucky, or deaf . . . Ive had a 2 x Korean TT's and I also had the Hard Wired TT a few years back . . Both the Korean TT's had a JJ 5751 in V1 and a JJ12AX7 in V2 and they both sounded great through my cheap little 1 x 12. It had an old 70's Fender 8 ohm Speaker in it ( from a Deluxe Reverb I was told  ) Both Korean TT's were really good pedal Platforms but I'm more a clean Player  . . . The Hand Wired TT was in a completely different class though . . What a lovely little thing that was :-) Super rich and sweet but I sold it to fund the purchase of the "forums" very own Wienbrock Gringo . . . Happy days ! !     
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1333
    I've used a Dual Terror thru a 2 x 12 cab at a local rehearsal room - with a strat - and just rode the volume on the FAT channel - pleasant enough - but I didn't rush out to buy one - I do find with Orange like the EVH amp stuff there's just stupid amounts of gain... I find I really have to dial it back majorly when I use them.

Gigged a Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo for a few years... I found that got a bit honky ... nothing special but serviceable.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    I think I must be lucky or deaf n'all, as the only amp I have that gets a universal thumbs up is the little Laney VC-15.  To be fair, at low volume that has a fatter clean tone with its 10" internal speaker than a stock TT through a closed back 12.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited February 2022
    Kind of like Marmite I think - folk either love the Tiny Terror or hate it. Not for me I'm afraid, tried one years ago & really didn't like it.  Vox copied the concept & came out with its own 15w Night Train head that I much preferred both tonally & aesthetically.  But then that was probably Marmite too!  Generally I've found that if you like the Orange TT you probably won't take to the Night Train, and vice-a-versa.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    In the name of Laney owners (& pedants) everywhere, I'm calling for a cease & desist on calling Orange's "TT" dammit.
    The TT's are Laneys. Those are the rules  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In the name of Laney owners (& pedants) everywhere, I'm calling for a cease & desist on calling Orange's "TT" dammit.
    The TT's are Laneys. Those are the rules  ;)
    And they're so, so good! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    edited February 2022
    I agree, so good that I somehow appear to have accidentally acquired four TT20's and a TT100 !   B
    PS Sorry for the thread hijack.