Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

van Halen ambulance chasers

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
I saw a news item on some american channel this morning. Apparently sales of van Halen music and merchandise is up 6000%+ since the announcement of Eddie's death. I don't get this. Surely if you're a fan of van Halen you own all their music already. Is it morbidity or fear of missing out? When they brought out the Mexican built Frankenstrat I fancied getting one but thought I'd give it a few months and they'd come down in price. They were much more accurate than the earlier replicas. Doesn't look like I'll ever get one now.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Used to see it all the time in Hmv when I worked there. An artist dies and suddenly everyone is the biggest fan and needs the entire back catalogue. 

I never understood it. Like, the cd’s will always be back in stock.. just wait a bit. But I guess people wanted it on the day for whatever reason. 

I reckon the Frankenstrat will be around though for a long time.. especially if sales have gone through the roof.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15270
    Devil#20 said:
    Surely, if you're a fan of Van Halen, you own all their music already?
    Not necessarily. Some fans might prefer the early, funny ones.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Sad I know, but there was talk at the time, after Elvis died and then with  M Jackson, that it was the best career move they made - Something serious increase in sales and estate value after - But agree with your thoughts @Devil#20 ;
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited October 2020
    You’ll get one. Fender will ramp up production and flood the market, and a load of people who shouldn’t have bought one will sell after they’ve processed their grief and realise that owning the Frankenstrat =/= playing like EVH. 

The thing that’s working in your favour is that it’s a current model. It’s much worse if you’re chasing a signature edition from a deceased artist that has been long discontinued...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15270
    Right now, various guitar makers ought to be cashing in with replicas of models used by Lennon.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    edited October 2020
    Ahhh, it's not that the fans already own all the music and stuff.

When I first came across Van Halen in the late 80s I wasn't old enough to own any LPs or CDs - but my older brothers were! I took it in then and then rediscovered it in my early twenties when I started playing guitar and I had a friend who made a tape of their first album for me around then which I listened to until it broke.

So now I'm thinking about buying a couple of albums because Eddie has died and reminds me that the music is good. I don't think that is too bad is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    it didn't do much for my Jim'll Fix it badge
    25reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    This is not surprising to me. And you wonder why certain artists like MJ and Prince appear to die before their time.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
    edited October 2020
    I'll be honest and I've been on the EVH guitars website more than a few times this weekend. More so than my monthly "I'm sure I can get a permission slip for the orange Wolfgang special" visits. Clearly people are snapping them up though as the lead times are going into next year on some websites. but then I also underlines how great value some of the Chinese made EVH models are. You can get a frankenstratish clone for a few hundred quid! 

I have all the Van halen CDs apart from maybe one or two. Including two different versions of Van halen III. I never got around to completing the collection with all the remastered versions but maybe I'll think about doing that now. everyone's got a wish list of things that they want to get done but cash flow might not let them. I don't think that the surge in sales is anything to do with ambulance chasers. Sure there are some people out there that fit that category but at this point in my life I don't really need to get the remastered version of Van halen 2. EVH dies and all of a sudden I think maybe I should do it. Maybe it's some misguided respect thing? 
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    edited October 2020
    I’ve downloaded and been listening to van halen on Spotify over the last week. In my case it’s because his band largely passed me by over the years and now hearing all the stuff on the news about how revolutionary a guitar player he was I decided to give it a listen. Nothing to do with ambulance chasing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    It's natural, there's so much music around we can't all listen to everything we like all of the time.

His death reminded me, as a casual fan, how much I liked some of his music, that's all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3431
    edited October 2020
    Or there’s the other possibility: having only ever really heard the ‘hits’, person A has read enough obits in the last few days to convince them that EV might be worth checking out and buys several albums to investigate the back catalogue. 

Is that ambulance chasing? Is there an unwritten rule that states when someone dies we can nolonger engage with their music? 

I’d imagine a good chunk fit into that category, people simply don’t read about music in the same way as we did in the days of the mainstream music press. If it takes an obituary to discover an artists work, as sad as that is, at least they have now discovered that artists work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Like others have said his death is a reminder of something you maybe don't listen to all the time, maybe things mentioned in the tributes about the music that passed you by the first time. 
    People buying up memorabilia in the hope it will go up in value, that is more of an ambulance chasing thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    I don’t see this as ambulance chasing at all, people are being reminded, reminiscing, or maybe just discovering his talent having read the obituaries, as mentioned above.

Now, if people start selling stuff on eBay for inflated prices, that is pretty tasteless. I have seen this in the past with Chris Cornell and BB King sig guitars being hiked up.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10590
    LPManic said:
    This is not surprising to me. And you wonder why certain artists like MJ and Prince appear to die before their time.
    Because of drug addiction?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Gear 4 Music jacking up the prices on the EVH guitar is ambulance chasing.

There were details in another thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    Of course it's understandable that people have been buying EVH's music recently.

Maybe they owned the albums when they came out but got rid of them over time. Now, with his music being played a fair bit this person thinks "You know what? I've forgotten how much I liked this, I'll have to buy it again."

Mystery solved. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Whitecat said:
    You’ll get one. Fender will ramp up production and flood the market, and a load of people who shouldn’t have bought one will sell after they’ve processed their grief and realise that owning the Frankenstrat =/= playing like EVH. 

Yes I suppose there is that so I hope so. The Mexican Frankenstrat was about £1300 when I last looked and out of interest I'll check it later on. When they brought out the Jimmy Page dragoncaster (again a Mexican built replica) I put my name on the waiting list at Andertons for one. Nearly a year later they got the first batch and I got one. On hindsight I shouldn't have bothered. I could get a factory fresh one now for a few hundred less. Fell for the sales blurb that said they were only making so many and didn't want to later on get scalped if I wanted one. They either made more than they said or Jimmy isn't as popular as they thought. Wish I'd seen the Ritchie Blackmore strat that somebody sold on here recently. The only other replica I'd like is Deke Leonard's black and white concentric rings Telecaster well before Zakk Wylde subsequently copied it. Deke's had a bloody big square hole cut in it. Can't see fender doing a replica of his though as he'd be considered a minor artist so I might make my own :-) He had it stolen in Berlin in what was probably pre-planned. There wasn't enough evidence to pin it on the prime suspect who was a known collector and hosted the band during the tour.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    It's no surprise at all. People who don't understand are maybe short of empathy.
  • Age factor is part of it, a lot of people have grown into young adults since the last Van Halen album was issued and are just hearing about Eddie.  As mentioned already, it happens to all past artists that had fame in their day.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay