Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

van Halen ambulance chasers

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BlueStrat said:
    What would you say were the best five handful of VH songs to listen to as an introduction to them?
    i really did know very little about VH, other than that one
    Leaving out Jump because you've heard that one...and addressing only the DLR era...

For me, in chronological order:
    • *Runnin' with the Devil -> Eruption [VH1]
    • *Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love [VH1]
    • Mean Street -> Dirty Movies [Fair Warning]
    • *Unchained [Fair Warning]
    • Cathedral -> Secrets [Diver Down]
    • Panama [1984]
    • *Hot For Teacher [1984]
    • Girl Gone Bad [1984]
    * iconic track!

I left out so much (including two whole albums) but that should give you a pretty good idea of what Eddie and VH were all about ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    BlueStrat said:
    What would you say were the best five handful of VH songs to listen to as an introduction to them?
    Leaving out Jump because you've heard that one...and addressing only the DLR era...

For me, in chronological order:
    • *Runnin' with the Devil -> Eruption [VH1]
    • *Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love [VH1]
    • Mean Street -> Dirty Movies [Fair Warning]
    • *Unchained [Fair Warning]
    • Cathedral -> Secrets [Diver Down]
    • Panama [1984]
    • *Hot For Teacher [1984]
    • Girl Gone Bad [1984]
    * iconic track!

I left out so much (including two whole albums) but that should give you a pretty good idea of what Eddie and VH were all about ;)
    This, plus Ice Cream Man
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Perfectly natural for people to be reminded of and curious about legacy music when someone as iconic as Eddie passes, I'd have done the same if I wasn't already a huge fan.  And like someone else said, I've been looking at maybe some merchandise this week.

Companies looking to profit from events like this by jacking prices, on the other hand, can rot and burn. They'll argue that it's our job to maximise profits for our shareholders, and I'll argue I couldn't care less about your shareholders and you're on the ignore list from now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    edited October 2020
    Watched Gene Simmons' eulogy on BBC1 news, he mentioned the demos he recorded in 77, then I saw a high quality version on YT, I had them in my Itunes anyway, but never really listened to them.
    WOW.
    Amazing to hear 10 tracks recorded in 77, half of which became the first record. Some have not appeared on record, and a couple ended up on 'A different kind of truth' in 2012.
    The 3rd track is 'House of pain', which ended up being the last track on '1984, and it features the sirens effect in the solos and ends with them-which leads into 'Running with the devil'. So that is 2 tracks which bookend the 6 album 6 year run of the Roth era, recorded in reverse order on the demo in 77......
    It also features plenty of double tracked guitars, which makes it a really fresh sound-even today.
    I'd recommend it to everybody, not just somebody who hasn't heard VH.
    Long live Ed.
    edit.
    vid now posted in 'music' section
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413
    crunchman said:
    Gear 4 Music jacking up the prices on the EVH guitar is ambulance chasing.

There were details in another thread.
    Bastards. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13370
    edited October 2020
    BlueStrat said:
    BlueStrat said:
    VH passed me by entirely, i’ve played a few tunes on spotify since the news of his passing. I’d heard of Jump but that was about it tbh
    The ironic thing being that Jump has fuck all guitar in it other than a totally forgettable solo. 

EVH was a bloody guitar genius, such a shame that their biggest hit is a synth number. 

What would you say were the best five VH songs to listen to as an introduction to them?
    I'm not a huge fan to be honest, but I do appreciate Eddie. 

Go and listen to Eruption, then realise nobody had done anything at all like that before, and you'll get the idea. 

Personally my favourite songs are Panama, 'Aint Talkin' About Love and Hot For Teacher but just put on either Van Halen 1 or the greatest hits, job done. 

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    Me too. I think he is only remembered on guitar forums.

• Actually, just inspired by this thread I stuck on Hot For Teacher. I'd forgotten just how good this is to be honest. Its not the kind of thing I normally listen to at all but the whole band is killing it. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 729
    Surly it doesn’t matter? People are listening to his music, that’s got to be a good think right? 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Although I can appreciate what a monster player he was, and I quite like some of their stuff, I’ve never been a ‘fan’. I even saw them supporting black sabbath on the sabs 10th anniversary tour, and although I thought they were alright, I was more into sabbath, and didn’t get the lightbulb moment that a lot of people got..
    I was, however more affected by the news of his death, than I would have expected. His age, and the fact that I appreciated how special he was, probably did it..
    I haven’t listened to his music. I’ve heard one or two songs on the radio..
    When someone whose music means a lot to me, rather than listening to their music, a lot, I tend to find I can’t listen to them for a long time. For example, I went from listening to John Prine most days, to not having listened to a single song, since he died. I just can’t face it yet. Likewise, Rory Gallagher.. I couldn’t listen to his stuff for months after I heard he’d died..
    People have different ways of processing stuff, I suppose..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom