Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

van Halen ambulance chasers

What's Hot

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    axisus said:
    It's no surprise at all. People who don't understand are maybe short of empathy.
    Was that a dig at me?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManic said:
    This is not surprising to me. And you wonder why certain artists like MJ and Prince appear to die before their time.
    Because of drug addiction?
    I used to think it quite shocking how many famous people die younger than they should, and then I came to the conclusion that loads of people do - just that we hear about the rock stars.

Btw, Lou Reed’s career has never been better (probably helped by him not being around to sabotage interviews etc).
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13735

Btw, Lou Reed’s career has never been better (probably helped by him not being around to sabotage interviews etc).

Morrissey's death is probably the only way to salvage his reputation at this point.

When just the music is there to speak for you, it can help.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15265
    axisus said:
    People who don't understand are maybe short of empathy.
    People with some emotional investment will currently be registering a sense of loss. For everyone else on the planet, it matters very little. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Advertising exists for a reason: publicity increases sales.

Van Halen has just has a colossal tsunami of publicity. People don’t like to speak ill of the dead and it’s been overwhelmingly positive. Front page news everywhere. Lots of people with followers and influence talking about how much his music and/or playing mattered to them. It’s like a free billion dollar advertising campaign.

I can’t understand why anyone would be surprised by a massive upsurge in sales. Seriously, what did you think was going to happen?

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    Or there’s the other possibility: having only ever really heard the ‘hits’, person A has read enough obits in the last few days to convince them that EV might be worth checking out and buys several albums to investigate the back catalogue. 

Is that ambulance chasing? Is there an unwritten rule that states when someone dies we can nolonger engage with their music? 

I’d imagine a good chunk fit into that category, people simply don’t read about music in the same way as we did in the days of the mainstream music press. If it takes an obituary to discover an artists work, as sad as that is, at least they have now discovered that artists work.
    This happened with Pink Floyd after Live 8 - their sales went up 300%

I'm a lifelong fan and have all their output, including the Starfleet EP with Brian May and they were theirs was the first concert I ever saw (Woman and Children First Tour, 1980 at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park). However, I, too, have been guilty of looking at the EVH guitars this week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1222
    LPManic said:
    This is not surprising to me. And you wonder why certain artists like MJ and Prince appear to die before their time.
    Because of drug addiction?
    They are more valuable dead than alive. But yes also drug addictions.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25561
    It's not ambulance chasing.

Sometimes it's in genuine tribute or finally getting round to doing something a person has intended to do for a long time.

But there will be plenty of younger generation guitarists who weren't really aware of him who now decide to see what the fuss was about. That happens a lot - the press coverage leads to people discovering an artist who hasn't been in the public eye for a long time.

Lets face it - the only time VH has been in the press for about the last decade is just through talk of reunions rather than anything actually happening.

It's quite nice that the discussions are about what a great band VH were.

And even nicer that CD sales have gone through the roof - there are surviving members with families that still have to eat.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
    I have all the VH album's, I've seen David Lee Roth live and I have a Hagar-esque Kramer, but I'd never buy a Striped Series. I don't know why. I tuned in to Chris Holmes' YouTube where they interviewed him about growing up with Van Halen and Banali.

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    VH passed me by entirely, i’ve played a few tunes on spotify since the news of his passing. I’d heard of Jump but that was about it tbh
  • BlueStrat said:
    VH passed me by entirely, i’ve played a few tunes on spotify since the news of his passing. I’d heard of Jump but that was about it tbh
    The ironic thing being that Jump has fuck all guitar in it other than a totally forgettable solo. 

EVH was a bloody guitar genius, such a shame that their biggest hit is a synth number. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    BlueStrat said:
    The ironic thing being that Jump has fuck all guitar in it other than a totally forgettable solo. 

EVH was a bloody guitar genius, such a shame that their biggest hit is a synth number. 

What would you say were the best five VH songs to listen to as an introduction to them?
    i really did know very little about VH, other than that one
  • BlueStrat said:

What would you say were the best five VH songs to listen to as an introduction to them?
    I would suggest the first album. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    BlueStrat said:
    I would say get the compilation CD Best of both Worlds. It's got a lot of good stuff on it. It's a mix of Dave Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar on it. I personally thought Sammy Hagar was a much better singer. I remember him from his days with Montrose. DLR was the ultimate show man though. I can understand how he used to piss the other band members off though.

Ian

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    perhaps there is an element of "I didn't really know much about $artist, if people are making this fuss I'll research, wow, I love this, I need to get and listen to it'  I know when I've stumbled across an artist (admittedly not by death) I've gone all in on an artist because it connected with me, if I didn't already know about Van Halen and found out about him due to the media coverage of his death, I'd probably buy his back catalogue, would I do it with inflated prices, no, as you say the media will be back in stock so there is no demand problem 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    BlueStrat said:
    BlueStrat said:

You'll get every VH track suggested eventually! 

Other people will be more familiar than me but you could just put on the Fair Warning album which is about 32 minutes long in total.
    Possibly their most coherent album as a band and had their first ( I'm fairly sure) forays into synths. Their poorest selling album at the time but often the most loved. Having listened to that if you want more guitar moments go to the earlier albums, if you want something more,err, fun then the later Roth era albums and if you want something that's more commercial rock with a clever guitarist then the Hagar period. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Devil#20 said:
    axisus said:
    It's no surprise at all. People who don't understand are maybe short of empathy.
    Was that a dig at me?

Honestly - No. Just a very generalised throw away comment. No offence intended.
    axisus said:
    Devil#20 said:
    axisus said:
    Was that a dig at me?

Honestly - No. Just a very generalised throw away comment. No offence intended.
    None taken then.

It put me on a low ebb this week to be fair, as it does with any artist I've grown up with and listened to when they die. Van Halen as a band were pretty much done and dusted a few years ago now and Eddie has had cancer for at least 10 years and was in and out of hospital. Therefore, it wasn't entirely unexpected. He made amends later in life but unfortunately that train had left the station. Still too young though. Sometimes wonder how people like Keith Richards and Ozzy Osborne are still going.   

Ian

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    BlueStrat said:

I would suggest the first album. 
    This is exactly what I was going to say!
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1238
    edited October 2020