Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

GigRig G3!

What's Hot

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1049
    edited October 2020
    I have to be honest I quite fancy an Atom too - I was going to get a Gigrig QMX - but I'm now very tempted by the Atom

If I can figure out how it works 4CM my credit card might well get a battering!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    End of the day it's professional kit priced for professional musicians. I know a lot of us want it, but there are far less expensive options for people (like me) who don't need that level of sophistication and durability. 

Just like no matter how you might fancy it, not everyone taking photos needs a Canon 1D-X mk3. There's a camera out there for everyone. 
    Well said!

I baulked at the price initially but I’ve got a Schmidt Array board so am no stranger to going for the expensive option when a cheaper version would do 99% of the same job!

love the idea of the Atom but I’ve downsized my board lately and swapping from the Quartermaster I currently have would take about 3 pedals away!

• If I can figure out how it works 4CM my credit card might well get a battering!

You would need to use one of the loops. Loop send goes to your amp input, then the effects loop send on your amp connects to the loop return on the G3. Now the preamp section of your amp is in a loop pretty much like another pedal.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 365

If I can figure out how it works 4CM my credit card might well get a battering!

You would need to use one of the loops. Loop send goes to your amp input, then the effects loop send on your amp connects to the loop return on the G3. Now the preamp section of your amp is in a loop pretty much like another pedal.
    +1 on this. You be better going with the full size g3 if you want 4cm. The full size one has a movable volume/loop insert without taking one of your loops.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 365
    I’m interested in the atom. I’ve already got a g2. But I like the smaller size.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    The biggest thing for me is the addition of the LED screen. Anything else I can do with my Boss ES5 with the use of assigns. Albeit the sticky stomp is a good idea/feature on the G3.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • So I have a boss ES-5 is the atom going to give me a much better signal quality/fidelity? 

Question is I guess for anyone who has used the es-5 and also the G2 maybe? 

Being 3-4 times the price I paid for the es-5 I would want to be sure it was a definite upgrade! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9704
    So I have a boss ES-5 is the atom going to give me a much better signal quality/fidelity? 

Being 3-4 times the price I paid for the es-5 I would want to be sure it was a definite upgrade! 
    Yes, is the simple answer.

I owned the G2 and the ES5/8 at the same time; every pedal sounds better, the isolation is total, even with no pedals playing your amp sounds better. And the pre and post are great sounding, and dead easy to get unity.

So, imho, the Gigrig stuff is noticeably superior.
    edited October 2020
    So I have a boss ES-5 is the atom going to give me a much better signal quality/fidelity? 

Maybe but really in the world most of us hobbyist musicians are in who play down the local boozer or private event would it really matter .... I mean really? Saying that I have absolutely no issues with my Boss ES5 in terms of fidelity etc.

To me it's just down to who can afford it or who cannot 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They’re going to sell a shed load of those Atoms. I’ll be interested in seeing people’s thoughts once they start arriving. 
    How very rock and roll
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9704

Maybe but really in the world most of us hobbyist musicians are in who play down the local boozer or private event would it really matter .... I mean really? Saying that I have absolutely no issues with my Boss ES5 in terms of fidelity etc.

You and I have this debate every time !! :)

I don't if its the buffers or whatever, but it really is superior the Gigrig stuff.

But the Boss is good too, and has great routing options. It just has that Boss dull-ish tone, imho, ymmv etc etc
  • So I have a boss ES-5 is the atom going to give me a much better signal quality/fidelity? 

You and I have this debate every time !! :)

I don't if its the buffers or whatever, but it really is superior the Gigrig stuff.

But the Boss is good too, and has great routing options. It just has that Boss dull-ish tone, imho, ymmv etc etc
    Thanks guys for the replies. Guess that’s what I was looking to hear @Wazmeister that may be the insight needed to tip the pre-order over the edge! 
    edited October 2020

You and I have this debate every time !!

LOL I know. It's just that I can't hear a difference but that doesn't mean it's not there It would have to be significant for me though before I'd shell out on a piece of kit at that price that's all

I am candidly quite interested in the Atom too if I was honest though. I just can’t justify it
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    Did the G2 not allow you to move the loops around?
  • Flip phase per loop is useful for us wet/dry peops with troublesome pedals..
  • normula1 said:
    Is it that expensive when there's countless fuzzface clones selling at well over £100 with a handful of cheap components  inside and sod all real r&d to produce them?
    Yes. £1100 is expensive regardless of how you spin it. 

Doesn't mean its not worth the expense, but £1100 is a biiiiiiig chunk of change. 
  • It's pretty expensive, but if it does what you need it to do.

I doubt it sounds appreciably better than a Boss ES5 or ES8, but it does a ton of things those units don't do. You're paying for brand and feature set, imho.

Bye!

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    edited October 2020
    Too complicated for me, all that wet/dry, midi etc. stuff.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7018
    Lebarque said:

They should release the Derek Smalls edition which is just lukewarm water with no wet or dry. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Lebarque said:
    Actually after using an ES5 for a couple of years now it’s not that difficult to program. I would go as far to say that going by those videos the G3 appears  easier/quicker to program presets. However, I haven’t seen a demo of doing any midi switching yet but I’m sure it must do