How do you learn your Modal scale?

What's Hot
Do you learn the 5 Major scale shapes (CAGED), and think, Which scale degree is the Mode built off, say E Mixolydian is the 5th of A Major and hit the A Major scale, or do you think intervals and use the Major scale as a skeleton. I.e. Play the E major scale and flatten the 7th?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2840
    and play the major scale pattern starting from whichever note you wish
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    ... Play the E major scale and flatten the 7th?

This. I don’t practice running up and down scales because it encourages mechanical playing, but I do play scale fragments. I’m much more interested in melody and harmony, and use the modal notes add colour to the basic scale.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    Do you learn the 5 Major scale shapes (CAGED), and think, Which scale degree is the Mode built off, say E Mixolydian is the 5th of A Major and hit the A Major scale, or do you think intervals and use the Major scale as a skeleton. I.e. Play the E major scale and flatten the 7th?

The latter! Except I start with major or minor, then alter for lydian or mixolydian, and for dorian or phrygian if we’re in minor. 

I NEVER think of minor as being major with a flat 3, 6 and 7. I just think of minor as being its own thing. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517
    edited October 2020
    I do the same as Viz, it makes the most sense to me. I never think of the guitar or fretboard, I visualise the intervals. So Dorian is a minor scale with a sharp 6 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    I think in intervals, not shapes.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    Each mode has its own characteristic sound. Rick Beato has some good stuff on this, e.g:

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    I did a few guitar vids in lockdown and asked friends if they wanted to know any guitar stuff, a few asked about modes. I sighed and tried to record a brief video...didn't really happen!

@Roland hit the nail on the head for me, I found if I just blasted through a major scale starting on different degrees it didnt really sound any different. it's easy to default to muscle memory But If i accented the section of the mode which sounds unique (really hit that sharpened fourth in a major for a lydian for example) with a backing track then it's easier to hear a difference.

Ultimately for me, I need to deep dive this stuff. I'm not a massive Mixolydian or locrian user (is anyone?) I tend to be quite meat and potatoes. With a lydian i think of 80s widdlers (flying in a blue dream) and phyrgian i think of 90s metallica.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • The reason I ask, I was playing over a Mixolydian chord sequence and very quickly found I was targeting standard Major intervals (3rds/5ths) of the underlying chord rather than adding flavours of the underlying mode, so I might as well just play arpeggios. 
    DrJazzTap said:
    I did a few guitar vids in lockdown and asked friends if they wanted to know any guitar stuff, a few asked about modes. I sighed and tried to record a brief video...didn't really happen!

@Roland hit the nail on the head for me, I found if I just blasted through a major scale starting on different degrees it didnt really sound any different. it's easy to default to muscle memory But If i accented the section of the mode which sounds unique (really hit that sharpened fourth in a major for a lydian for example) with a backing track then it's easier to hear a difference.

Ultimately for me, I need to deep dive this stuff. I'm not a massive Mixolydian or locrian user (is anyone?) I tend to be quite meat and potatoes. With a lydian i think of 80s widdlers (flying in a blue dream) and phyrgian i think of 90s metallica.
    If you’re a meat and potatoes man playing rock, chances are you’re playing mixolydian a lot of the time, no?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I’d say that 45% of what I play is mixolydian, 50% is split between the minors, and 5% is everything else. However I never think of it as scales. It’s “these are the notes in the chord which anchor the phrase, and these are the interesting notes that add colour around that”.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 763
    edited October 2020
    Play each 7 note mode starting on the root note C.

C Ionian
    C Lydian
    C Mixolydian

C Aeolian
    C Dorian
    C Phrygian
    C Locrian

Play each mode until you can hear each one distinctly. Hearing and recognising them takes more time and more effort than just playing them IMHO.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517
    Although it's important to know modes and how to inject their flavour into your solo's it's still always more important to think about the notes in the underlying chord you're playing over. So If I'm happily solo'ing in Am and there's am Emaj chord in the sequence I'll play a G# maj 7 rather than a G as I know G# being the maj 3rd of Emaj makes that a much more interesting and melodic note to use than sticking purely to Am 

What I need to work out is what ties everything in, I feel there's something I'm missing still at the moment 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2840
    So everyone’s’ replies is about how you play the modes as opposed to the question of how you learn them

I learned them just by playing a major scale and starting on The next note, and rembering the mnemonic I Don’t Particulalry Like Modes A Lot - can’t remember where I got that from, probably here.

but I Play them by knowing (presumabky from a lot of repetition over time) what the individual altered intervals are , and they are only 3rd , 6th and 7th.   I always know where my 3rd is, where my 4th and 5th are, and flat 7th because they are where my fingers fall from my index finger (admittedly top 3 strings are slightly different because of the B string not being a 4th above G)

I learned them by knowing where they were (in the spaces between major and minor scale notes), learning what they sounded like as I encountered chords which used them, and reinforcing this knowledge as I encountered songs or musical styles which used them. 
    And the 2nd, 4th and 5th!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    viz said:
    DrJazzTap said:

If you’re a meat and potatoes man playing rock, chances are you’re playing mixolydian a lot of the time, no?
    Aeolian mate 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    Here’s a simple example of using different notes without going through modal scales. Nothing complicated:

https://youtu.be/LXb240caUyw
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 763
    edited October 2020
    I've got to admit I learned modal concepts from a course based on "Modal Jazz Composition and Harmony by Ron Miller". I found that Modal Jazz isn't the same as Modal Rock/Pop.

Here's the list of notes that distinguish a mode's character from highest to lowest, according to the Modal Jazz course. Example, the 6th note of the Dorian mode/scale is the note that distinguishes the mode most.

See below:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • DrJazzTap said:
    viz said:
    DrJazzTap said:

Aeolian mate 
    Plus B2 and b5
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    CAGED only factors for me when I'm focusing on triads and arpeggios or when I'm focusing on a voice leading scheme.  Scale degrees and modes are how I work out the chord progression and the "tonal center", and the tonal center is what drives the aforementioned triads/arpeggios/voice leading.  

If I'm playing C Myxolidian, I just tell myself to play the chords and scale of F major but then find some way to emphasize the Bb-C so that the F itself doesn't dominate.  So like, C Mixolydian is just a decentered F major, and C Lydian is just a decentered G major, etc etc.

I'm probably oversimplifying things for the sake of my own mental clarity, and I'm only just beginning the process of self-consciously noodling with these things in mind in order to capture an intentional mood and feeling.  But so far I think that my "decentered" theme has helped me distill the patterns from what looks like fretboard chaos at first glance.