Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: EBMM Stingray RS

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 975
I went over to Frets Guitar Centre, in Cleveleys, this morning, to check out some Musicman Stingray RS's.
I'm not really sure what the RS stands for, possibly Re-issue Stingray?
Anyway, when Musicman Guitars started, back in the 70s, the Stingray guitar and bass were some of the first designs to be produced.
I think these were with the help of Leo Fender.
Although the guitar had some fans, it was the bass that really took off and became one of the iconic basses of rock.
In 2018, Ernie Ball Musicman brought the Stingray back, with some modernisation.
But what appealed to me about the model, is that it is a no nonsense rock guitar.
2 (alnico 5) humbuckers, one tone, one volume and a 3-way pickup selector.
No coil tapping or reverse phase switching, although the 21st century Stingray does have a modern tremolo and locking tuners.
The guitar's aesthetic is asymetrical or offset, with a retro, chrome control plate and a slab body.
It's business like, built for a purpose, yet it still has some charm and is just a little bit different.
There are a large number of colour options for the Stingray.
They had 3 in, at Frets.
Vintage Torquoise, Buttercream and a BFR (Ball Family Reserve) model, with a natural (gloss) mahogany body and gold hardware.
I played all 3 and liked every one.
EBMM guitars have superb necks (this'll be my 6th) and all 3 Stingrays played beautifully.
For looks, the roasted figured maple on the vintage turquoise's neck and headstock looked the nicest.
All 3 had the same, great pickups, that had a raw yet responsive and nuanced quality.
That may sound contadictory but that's how they seem to me.
The EBMM trem system is smooth, as always and my favourite tuners, Schaller locking, do their job, just how you'd want.
For feel and tone I'd have been happy to have brought home any one of the 3.
Firstly though, I discounted the BFR model.
It was only £350 more and it is by far the most glamourous of the 3.
But that extra bling for me, didn't go with the Stingray's overall aesthetic of no nonsense, rock machine.
Of course, the Stingray RS could be used in many different styles of music but I felt the BFR was just too posh looking for me.
I loved both the Buttercream and Vintage Torquoise finishes.
The Buttercream having a lovely, classic, retro look to it.
It was probably the gorgeous neck and head, on the Vintage Torquoise, that swung it for me.
I really like it's subtle, metallic flake finish, too.
Now home, I'm enjoying running through some somgs and riffs and finding that this new Stingray sounds really nice, clean and dirty.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25563
    I like that a lot.

Lovely colour too. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great guitar that.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    I think the RS denotes the roasted neck

which looks absolutely great on this example
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
    Nice score. RS = roasted, I think. What do you make of the neck profile compared to your St Vincent?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3431
    Very nice, that looks fantastic, congrats on the ngd. I keep looking at these, going to have to give one a go soon. 
  • Very nice, I really like the look of that! Congratulations :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Looks incredible! Love that colour. Not usually a fan of figured wood but that neck looks amazing too.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20597
    Understated but detailed as ever with EB, but definitely eye candy too. Very good choice, enjoy.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413
    Wow that neck is incredible. Without a doubt Musicman are one of my favourite companies. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    That's lovely and I, too, have fallen in love with EBMM necks and having had an Albert Lee (HH, carved rosewood) one on loan this month, tried some Luke III's I want to explore the brand some more.

Do you happen to know which other EBMM this neck is similar to? Basically, I loved the Albert Lee in every way other than the shape and so I want to find something similar but more Strat-shaped

Great guitar. Have fun :)
  • Stunning guitar right there. I have a bit of regret that I sold mine. Congratulations! The pickups are superb
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Beauty 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25105
    Lovely.  And the neck looks amazing.
  • grayngrayn Frets: 975
    barnstorm said:
    Nice score. RS = roasted, I think. What do you make of the neck profile compared to your St Vincent?
    Very similar neck profiles, I'd say.
  • grayngrayn Frets: 975
    Kebabkid said:

Do you happen to know which other EBMM this neck is similar to? Basically, I loved the Albert Lee in every way other than the shape and so I want to find something similar but more Strat-shaped

You might want to try the Cutlass.  They do an SSS and HSS version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    grayn said:
    Kebabkid said:

You might want to try the Cutlass.  They do an SSS and HSS version.
    Thanks and they're on my list, as is the Sabre.
    I'll say it again, those necks are works of art and not just from an aesthetic point of view. They feel fabulous 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    edited October 2020
    The Sabre is an interesting one for EBMM as it’s alone in having a more regular 43mm nut width. Something many have been asking for for years.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    Absolutely gorgeous. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited October 2020
    The Sabre is an interesting one for EBMM as it’s alone in having a more regular 43mm nut width. Something many have been asking for for years.
    Yep. Ironically, I couldn't get on with the necks on the Luke III models I recently tried (a HSS and HH). Strangely, both suffered from high E string slippage but the Albert Lee was absolutely fine and yet both have neck widths of 41.3mm but different neck shapes.

The Sabre is a pricey beast, though but I like that it's a 10" radius.

I think more needs to be said about EBMM guitars
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 660
    How does the bridge feel under your hand when palm muting? The curved block type thing at the back of the bridge looks like it could be higher than the level of the saddles and get in the way.