Whammy bar wobble

What's Hot
JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
Why can't they make a proper fit to stop whammy bar wobble ? 
I find it a very frustrating paying £145 ( in this case Babicz bridge ) and have wobbly whammy bar on it , like on cheap Chinese crap .
I read few threads and it affects fender bridges etc .
Why wouldn't they use tight thread tolerances like 4H or 5H to fit these things together like they should ???
Really frustrating ! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    That tiny little click feeling drives me nuts. It’s there on most screw or push in arms I’ve used. Give me a good Bigsby or a Duesenberg trem
    any day. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28750
    Callaham fixed this 20+ years ago, and they sound great too. I won't buy any other sort of strat bridge ever again
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Callaham fixed this 20+ years ago, and they sound great too. I won't buy any other sort of strat bridge ever again
    The thing is , I wanted a tremolo bridge in black with narrow spacing to fit Pacifica and I had a very limited choice .
    I am literally pissed off , that in 21st century they can't make a damn whammy bar stay in place in any position without wobble . 
    It's just ridiculous and it defeats its purpose !
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20597
    Have you tried a few wraps of teflon plumber's tape around the tremolo arm bush end?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Have you tried a few wraps of teflon plumber's tape around the tremolo arm bush end?
    Not yet , but I am aware of this hack . 
    I am more debating whether to get in touch with thomman ,where I purchased it from , or this is how they make/ sale these bridges and I need to put up with it .

Fair point. If you don't get help from Thomann you might get in touch with Babicz direct?
    Fair point. If you don't get help from Thomann you might get in touch with Babicz direct?
    I think I'll pass on Babicz customer service . 
    When I purchased the bridge the supplied screw had kind of bad finish . 
    So I contacted them and they had promised to send them in . 2 months later , there was still  no sight of  screws and communication has pretty much ended .
    Thomann on the other hand were awesome to deal with and that had got sorted . 

This is my first tremolo guitar so I am curious , if this is supposed to be like that with this particular bridge ?
  • BowksBowks Frets: 446
    Get some of the tiny trem springs Fender use in their trems and drop one in the hole for the arm, fixed my wobbly woes.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    Agree 100%, that little jiggle in the arm drives me mad too.
    Such a simple fix, why do they still make them like that?
    Also the amount of force you need to use to push in a fender pop in arm, it doesn’t pop in at all you have to punch it in there. Why not use a correctly tensioned clip in the first place?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25105

I'm surprised something as over-engineered as the Babicz bridge hasn't included a cure for this particular issue.

The Delrin/Teflon sleeves used by PRS and Callaham seem to be the best solution.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    PTFE tape for me.... :)
  • The best solution I've found for a standard Fender trem is a short piece of plastic tubing pressing up against the saddle - which has the added bonus of the arm staying where you put it.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    I thought a trem was supposed to wobble ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So this is basically an ongoing crap design across various brands ...
    When I get some time over the weekend I'll see if there's a tiny space to accommodate some plastic washer and or use PTFE tape .
    Or try a very small 'O' ring on your end. Ooh err, missus!... but worth a try.
    Or try a very small 'O' ring on your end. Ooh err, missus!... but worth a try.
    That's the plan :) thanks
  • I always fit the Floyd Rose push-in arms on my guitars, they're so much better than any screw-in one that I've used... not much good for non FR trems though, of course
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    The best solution I've found for a standard Fender trem is a short piece of plastic tubing pressing up against the saddle - which has the added bonus of the arm staying where you put it.

That’s neat. My solution was to remove the block and drill out the top of the hole enough to fit a rubber grommet that grips the arm, but it’s not 100% effective. I’ll give that a try as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Personally I need a stiff one [insert Matron joke here] so I gravitate to trems where there is built in adjustment. I've done the plumber's tape trick in the past. Works well but you do have to redo it every so often.