Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite nice different guitar of the day

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
Not revolutionary, but I thought that this design by an amateur builder on Facebook looked rather nice

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    That’s fantastic. Beautiful design and looks extremely well-made. It may be an amateur builder but the accuracy of the workmanship is much better than a lot of commercial products.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    Agreed. Really nice design. 
    Out of interest, how would you stain stain the top without it bleeding into the routed parts?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That’s really nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    That is really nicely done. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • donbot said:
    Agreed. Really nice design. 
    Out of interest, how would you stain stain the top without it bleeding into the routed parts?
    You just use tape and then clean up any slight bleed after
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I would seal the natural parts before staining the top as any bleed can ruin the clean lines
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Looks really nice. Different, but without being too wacky. Traditional enough and different enough at the same time. I think it would have quite a broad appeal.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Once he finishes painting it, it’ll look superb!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    That looks lovely, Framus do a similar style with some of their guitars.
  • sergiosergio Frets: 119
    That is quite nice. Does the builder have an online presence outside Facebook?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    I like it 7/10
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Beautiful design.
  • pjfpjf Frets: 347
    Very nice. Personally I would have stained the natural parts a bit darker so it looked less like a body blank, but it still works. Would also look good with a dark red stain instead of blue, I reckon.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590

I really like the overall aesthetic there. Perfect colour choice (though the burst may have been improved with a little more depth and following the whole edge of the blue part - or no burst at all). The pointed upper 'horns' I particularly like - Seth Baccus has similar on his guitars.

Crimson guitars do pretty much the same thing, but on the rear of the body mostly.

I wonder - is the body the blue portion with natural ash 'wings', or is the body natural ash with a blue 'top' routed into it?

Excellent stuff.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    Kalimna said:

I wonder - is the body the blue portion with natural ash 'wings', or is the body natural ash with a blue 'top' routed into it?

The wood grain follows through - allowing for the difference in depth at the steps - so I’m sure it’s a single piece.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ahh, I see what you mean, I thought the entirety of the top was on the same plane rather than the natural portions being stepped down. In that case, I don't think I'd like it nearly as much in the flesh. Id like to see some more photo's, that's for sure.

Very neat work, either way.

• I like that a lot. 

Any chance of the headstock and a mention of the guitar maker?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Imaging binding on that, on both levels.
    Imaging binding on that, on both levels.
    I reckon routing out a channel from upper-level-face to bottom-level binding depth initially. The routing away the bottom level, then routing upper level binding channel.
  • That's cool. Not the sort of thing I would ever actually buy/play, but I appreciate the tasteful design and craftmanship.

How about a link to the builder's site/FB @axisus ;so we can see the rest of the guitar, or any others he might have made?