Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

anyone else knock their strat pickup switch all the time? EDIT:problem solved!

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    I swear a saw a kickstarter or something thing on Facebook to fix this not long ago.
    It's called a Telecaster...  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    stonevibe said:
    I swear a saw a kickstarter or something thing on Facebook to fix this not long ago.
    Nah it's called dexterity lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited October 2020
    thegummy said:
    Do the people who hit the switch also struggle trying to only play some of the strings without hitting the others?
    No, that's a different type of technique. But I do knock the controls when I'm deliberately strumming all six stings at once.

HAL9000 said:
    Just looked at a Pacifica I’ve got knocking around and on which I’ve never accidentally hit the switch. On the Pacifica the switch is set slightly (~1cm) further back which appears to be enough to get it out of the way but still leaves it within easy to reach when you want it.
    Likewise on my Aria.

stonevibe said:

I hit the switches on those too. And reversing the plate just makes it worse, because then the volume control is right in the way.

The best control arrangement for me is the PRS one with volume, tone, and the toggle switch behind the bridge - that way I never hit anything I don't want to, but it's easy to adjust the volume or flip the switch when I do want to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:
    Do the people who hit the switch also struggle trying to only play some of the strings without hitting the others?
    No, that's a different type of technique. But I do knock the controls when I'm deliberately strumming all six stings at once.
    I wonder if the people who have this problem started out on, or mainly use, a different guitar that doesn't have a switch there and they've got in to the habbit of letting their hand go there.

It seems that if they have the control to only play some strings without playing others they'd also be able to control their hands from hitting the switch, they'd just have to unlearn their habbit.

I've never had the problem but until about 5 years ago I'd only ever played a Strat so I learned to strum with that switch being there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited October 2020
    I started on a strat copy but switched to a Les Paul after a few years and never really went back. I still have my strat but as I said it's just a humbucker and a volume which is placed like they do it on superstrats ie down and forward. I just find I have to be too careful on a normal strat and it hampers my playing especially for anything heavy or aggressive - it's not something I ever have to worry about on literally any other guitar. Even on mine with the knob moved I have to play with my picking hand closed in a fist which feels weird. I've come to realise teles are a better fit for me anyway  
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Never knock the switch on my Suhr Classic Pro, but yeah, occasionally I find the volume control is not quite where I left it. 

No such issues on my Alt-T. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I think it can make a difference if you are a Philip Sayce type player or a Hank Marvin type player.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    barnstorm said:
    https://www.theswitchlock.com/
    It's a clever idea but I don't like the look of it. I like a 100% trad look for a strat, I'm not saying I think they should look that way, it's just how  like them personally.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Main reason i don’t own a strat. Not the guitars fault it’s mine for being a clumsy heavy handed arsehole 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Sounds to me like there’s too many people here with over-vigorous wrist action... *ahem*
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited October 2020
    I solve this problem by only ever using the bridge pickup on mine. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    I dont have that trouble but I did bend a switch 3 way  lever once  on my tele so it angled over towards the lower bout .i think I had dropped the guitar ..It still worked  fine and was out of the way a few  extra MM .I  dont play strats in anger usually teles .
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Occasionally but not enough to be a problem.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Anyone who said "no" to the original question spent the rest of the set with their pickup selector in the wrong position.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 352
    I did used to knock the switch....when I was 14.  At some point in the intervening 35 years my strumming technique has become less about energetic flailing.....
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    It won't stop you hitting the switch but if you are just knocking it over it may be a weak detent. If it's an Oak Grigsby then whizz it in the bin and replace it with a CRL switch. Much stronger detent and a more positive feel to it. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    No probs with the selector switch ever - but I used to keep nudging the volume knob on my 69 which lowered the volume and was really annoying, but since finding a very simple fix for this on you tube (putting a foam doughnut round the spindle), that's been completely remedied.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited October 2020
    axisus said:

Is there any way to make a switch a bit stiffer??
    I've got a Superswitch in one of my Strats which is stiff as hell! I think I got it from AxesRUs. 

It also lets me automatically take the tone controls out of the circuit entirely in positions 2 and 4, which I love.

I hate that the superswitch breaks the connection when you switch though, so the signal is interrupted when changing pickups. If there were a way around that (and the stiffness, actually) I'd have one on in all my Strats.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • I constantly roll down the volume unintentionally.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    axisus said:

Is there any way to make a switch a bit stiffer??
    I've got a Superswitch in one of my Strats which is stiff as hell! I think I got it from AxesRUs. 

It also lets me automatically take the tone controls out of the circuit entirely in positions 2 and 4, which I love.

I hate that the superswitch breaks the connection when you switch though, so the signal is interrupted when changing pickups. If there were a way around that (and the stiffness, actually) I'd have one on in all my Strats.
    I've heard that before about the connection breaking but I always use superswitches and have never noticed anything with it.

Is it at gig volume that it's problematic?