Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

anyone else knock their strat pickup switch all the time? EDIT:problem solved!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    I constantly roll down the volume unintentionally.
    As above, I used to as well - you might like this little fix that works beautifully, from 7mins:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    thegummy said:

I've heard that before about the connection breaking but I always use superswitches and have never noticed anything with it.

Is it at gig volume that it's problematic?
    Yes, especially if you do knock it and it sticks in between the positions... instant silence. Rare, but it can happen. Even if it doesn't there's usually a more noticeable click.

Move it slowly while the sound is sustaining and you'll hear it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used a Strat exclusively for 25 years. I never had that problem. But I did when I first got a Les Paul. I was hitting that switch all the time.

I liked Phil's foam solution for knobs. Not much help for the switch though...
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    I think that's one of the improvements on Steve vai JEm guitars,  moving the knobs and switches to the right position.
  • https://i.imgur.com/9nic2uP.jpg

I had this problem constantly and was  always turning down the volume. I have no real technique and especially when I play live my hands shoot everywhere. 

That’s why I got these mods done. Loved the sound, neck and weight. Didn’t want another to get another guitar so that’s the reasoning. Also didn’t like the plastic feel when feeling about down there.  Same with Velcro, don’t love it .
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    Very strange....I used to do this a lot along with turning myself down by knocking the volume pot.... but I haven’t done it for years 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    OK, so I have solved my problem! I took the small spring off of the switch, clipped off about 1.5mm of the coil, bent the end out again and reattached. It is a fair bit stiffer now due to the increased tension and it would take a hefty knock to get casually moved. I guess that not everyone would be happy with the trade-off of a stiffer switch but it works for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    Jeff Skunk Baxter put his 'Strat' selector switch in a different location - possibly to combat this problem...?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    jaymenon said:
    Jeff Skunk Baxter put his 'Strat' selector switch in a different location - possibly to combat this problem...?

Looks like it has the scratchplate and electronics from a Roland synth guitar, that was their standard layout.

Roland G-505 Vintage Guitar Synthesizer Controller GR-100

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited November 2020
    I can honestly say in almost 19 years and 11 months of playing guitar I don't think I've ever knocked my strat's volume or pickup switch accidentally. I do wonder if there's some obvious technique or ergonomic thing at play with those that find it a problem - maybe strap height or something?

@Philly_Q - Now THAT is a guitar I'd hit the pickup switch by accident...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    I have on occasion knocked from neck to neck/middle but not very frequently. 

Have just got into Jaguars though and can see why Johnny marr changed switch as I have turned off the pickup on a fair few occasions!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited November 2020

I've always thought the Strat's controls are really well laid out.  I've certainly done the accidentally turning down the volume thing, but I still like where it's placed - and I've developed a habit of regularly "checking" it's on 10 with my little finger.  Never had any problem with the switch location.

I once had a Washburn guitar (WM-200) with a Strat-style layout - volume, two tones and a 5-way switch - but they somehow managed to place all the controls really badly.  Everything was too close together and the switch was placed such that the knobs always got in the way.  It was so bad that I was going to make a new scratchplate with relocated controls, but in the end I just sold the guitar.

Washburn WM200 Custom Shop 1997 Green Stained Swamp Ash   Reverb

I can honestly say in almost 19 years and 11 months of playing guitar I don't think I've ever knocked my strat's volume or pickup switch accidentally. I do wonder if there's some obvious technique or ergonomic thing at play with those that find it a problem - maybe strap height or something?

@Philly_Q - Now THAT is a guitar I'd hit the pickup switch by accident...
    I'll tell you where it comes from for me: Needless to say it's my hand position when I strum/play the strings when I get a bit more aggressive in my playing, but also it is my sitting position. I only ever play at home, and I sit down on my amp in a tiny room 99% of the time. When I play like this I have noticed that I have the guitar at a different angle, the headstock is a bit higher in the air. This moves the position of the switch a bit as well, to slightly more underneath my right hand. Enough to make a difference!
    jaymenon said:

That placement looks extremely unaesthetic to me! My eye is twitching just looking at it.
  • Maybe if you had five strats, one for each selector position, and glued the switches in place. A good excuse to have five strats, if you need an excuse.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn...how well can you play that mastic gun?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    It's called thrashing around like a demented chimpanzee.

I do, anyway...

:)

munckee said:

Have just got into Jaguars though and can see why Johnny marr changed switch as I have turned off the pickup on a fair few occasions!
    I modded mine by rewiring it so the both-down setting was both pickups on, in series - that needs DPDTs which the USA models don't have as stock, although the MIJ ones do. Or you can do it much more simply by reversing the switches so that down is on (and up off) for both pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It's called thrashing around like a demented chimpanzee.

I do, anyway...

:)

See, I can get behind @Axisus suggestion, but for that I don't think you can blame Mr Fender... :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires