Cringey ebay description

What's Hot

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    Reading that made me feel more than a little bit ill. That is horrifically cringeworthy.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    its a shame,  the guitar is very tempting
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    TheMarlin said:
    .....and they’re not even humbuckers!

They’re DeArmonf single coils.  Would need to take the pickups off to check, but they’re either DeArmond 2K, or 2000’s. 

2K are more P90 like, the 2000’s are closer to Dynasonic single coils, same as you get on a Gretsch G512(1-9). 

Pickups are very nice, could be worth up to £250 as a set.  They were white top on DeArmonds, and black on a Gretsch. 

Description is awful, but the guitar is ok. 

His valuation is laughable. Wouldn’t pay more that £250 for the whole guitar, but I’m mean. 

Trem is made for DeArmond by Bigsby, so a decent unit.

Marlin
    Whichever ones are in the Gretsch (2K or 2000), the DeArmonds have the other ones I believe (can never remember which way round it is!). They are much punchier than the ones that were in my G5124.

I've actually been following this auction for a few weeks now as I am a bit of a fan of DeArmond guitars even though I've already go one of these... mostly to see if it actually sells or not. He seems to have a rather high reserve price (in addition to the very optimistic BIN price) but @TheMarlin I think your valuation of £250 is a little rude lol They are (IMHO) really nice guitars, sound and play great but weigh a fecking ton!

But yeah... that advert; what a plum!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    dogload said:
    TheMarlin said:

They’re DeArmonf single coils.  Would need to take the pickups off to check, but they’re either DeArmond 2K, or 2000’s. 

2K are more P90 like, the 2000’s are closer to Dynasonic single coils, same as you get on a Gretsch G512(1-9). 

Pickups are very nice, could be worth up to £250 as a set.  They were white top on DeArmonds, and black on a Gretsch. 

His valuation is laughable. Wouldn’t pay more that £250 for the whole guitar, but I’m mean. 

Marlin
    Whichever ones are in the Gretsch (2K or 2000), the DeArmonds have the other ones I believe (can never remember which way round it is!). They are much punchier than the ones that were in my G5124.

I've actually been following this auction for a few weeks now as I am a bit of a fan of DeArmond guitars even though I've already go one of these... mostly to see if it actually sells or not. He seems to have a rather high reserve price (in addition to the very optimistic BIN price) but @TheMarlin I think your valuation of £250 is a little rude lol They are (IMHO) really nice guitars, sound and play great but weigh a fecking ton!

It depends on the model, some
    DeAemonds (M75T for example) use the exact same pickups as the G512x, DeArmond 2000’s. 

often with budget/mid priced older Gretsch models, getting the pickup close enough to the strings is difficult, you need shims, which are very hard to find.  You actually have to have them made.  That’s why they can sound weak, as pickups are too far away. 

Even the early Tim Armstrong models have issues with pickup height. You have to modify the pickup mounting mechanism to get the pickups located properly.  One of the reasons I don’t neither with Electromatics any more (though quality has much. Improved in recent year’s, along with the inflated price tag)

I don’t know this DeArmond model well. Quick
    google search confirms they are indeed 2K’s, which are wonderful pickups.  

You can only tell the difference when the pickup is off the guitar. The design of the back of the pickup confirms which one they are

As for value, yes I am mean. I’ve seen a few go for under £200, but that was a long time ago. Not looked at DeArmonds for about 8 years. . M75T used to only fetch. £150, and it’s a fine guitar, if a bit of a lump. Now people seem to want £500. Wouldn’t pay that. 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    its a shame,  the guitar is very tempting
    Yes I might overlook the description but just know his reserve will be unrealistic (to me at least)
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    I hope the guy off the Trogly's Guitar Show buys it and runs the black light over it. He'll probably end up batheing in sanitizer for a week afterwards...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    A LOT of work went  into her! The previous owner (a LONG time ago!) had...”

Hmmm... sound like sloppy seconds to me. And for that reason, I’m out.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    What a bunch of grumpy old men!

It's just a bit of fun on his part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • francer said:

That is really fucking creepy. 

"The previous owner (a LONG time ago!) had repainted her with white acrylic. Not a bad job, but not right. This has now been VERY carefully removed to reveal the 1966 Olympic White nitro-cellulose finish that you can see in the pictures."

All I see is the marks around the edges of the body that look like the finish was VERY carefully removed with a belt sander.

From the front, you cannot tell that this is anything other than a guitar with so many tales to tell

Starting with "how the fuck did that happen?"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

TheMarlin said:
    dogload said:
    TheMarlin said:

Marlin

It depends on the model, some
    DeAemonds (M75T for example) use the exact same pickups as the G512x, DeArmond 2000’s. 

often with budget/mid priced older Gretsch models, getting the pickup close enough to the strings is difficult, you need shims, which are very hard to find.  You actually have to have them made.  That’s why they can sound weak, as pickups are too far away. 

Even the early Tim Armstrong models have issues with pickup height. You have to modify the pickup mounting mechanism to get the pickups located properly.  One of the reasons I don’t neither with Electromatics any more (though quality has much. Improved in recent year’s, along with the inflated price tag)

I don’t know this DeArmond model well. Quick
    google search confirms they are indeed 2K’s, which are wonderful pickups.  

You can only tell the difference when the pickup is off the guitar. The design of the back of the pickup confirms which one they are

As for value, yes I am mean. I’ve seen a few go for under £200, but that was a long time ago. Not looked at DeArmonds for about 8 years. . M75T used to only fetch. £150, and it’s a fine guitar, if a bit of a lump. Now people seem to want £500. Wouldn’t pay that. 

Thanks for the info - that article really clears things up! lol 

I've had a few DeArmonds over the years and the prices have been creeping up; When I sold my Jetstar I could barely give it away now they are being advertised for 700 quid! 
    M75T's are currently going  for almost twice what mine cost and the Starfires like the one in that advert actually are supposedly quite sought after, but a more realistic price seems to be around 450. Fortunately I got mine in exchange for a not very good Epi Sheraton.

You're right about them being a bit 'lumpy' mind - mine tend to get used mostly for recording; they sound great but my back complains too much whenever I take them out to play. Even the Starfire, despite being a semi. Must have a concrete centre-block.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    steer said:
    Cant decide which bits I hate most. Maybe we can have a vote:-

1. OK, here's the dope
    2. nearly 30 years old and getting rarer all the time (investment).
    3. was a good girl
    4. recordings were spanky sharp and grunting devilish.
    5. a beautiful classic car of a guitar
    6. she runs beautifully.
    7. My old band leader saw me play this on stage last year and he just smiled.
    8. she is very experienced and looks dead sexy in a red dress.
    9. bye, bye grown up guitar, hello new lover.

I think no.7 is most weird
    The band leader thing is definitely the weirdest. That would be ripe for jokes on a less conservative forum.

The "(investment)" part is my most hated though. For several reasons.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    axisus said:
    What a bunch of grumpy old men!

It's just a bit of fun on his part.
    Let us know if you manage to sell it.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    "Spanky sharp and grunting devilish" :3

"This is the Amy Winehouse version.

Let's not go there, eh?

;)

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    It rubs the lotion in it's skin or else it gets the hose again
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jdgm said:
    "Spanky sharp and grunting devilish" :3

;)

To be honest, this isn't as daft as it appears... it's actually a fairly accurate description of the sound. Sort of. 
  • more of these please!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    westford said:
    “Here’s the dope” - who talks like that?

Sounds like something from an awful 90s drug awareness video.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Bellend